Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #31
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Do you have the HPX's fitted?

nah just the standard DB1108's
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

ah fair enough. Has anyone here had the HPX's fitted? I'd like to know for future reference what peeps thoughts are to this model

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #33
merky007
Starter Motor

hey guys, got my new AUII last night, I'm loving it! its so responsive, and just much better to drive then my now dead, hand me down MQ patrol. but it does shudder when braking, will changing the rotors and brakes eliminate that? and if so, how much are you looking at to replace the sets on all four wheels with rda rotor / qfm pads?
merky007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

merky007

yes changing rotors and pads will definitely fix your shudder issues.

You can tackle this 2 ways.

1. The Cheap option - Get original disc rotors machined to stop shudder.

OR

2. The more expensive option - Replace rotors and pads.

The disadvantage of option 1 is that eventually after the discs have been machined, you will more than likely get the shudder back over time. Plus the discs have a life span and the more you machine the face, the less 'meat' in the disc you'll have which can affect the braking capabilities. Advantages are its a cheap option to get you by for a little while.

The disadvantages of Option 2 are you may need to fork out about ~$500 or buck to get the discs, pads and some new brake fluid. You will also need to know how to replace all these things and bed the brakes in yourself. The advantages are you will get MUCH improved braking, your braking system will be like new and far less prone to shudder if you look after your braking system.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #35
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merky007
hey guys, got my new AUII last night, I'm loving it! its so responsive, and just much better to drive then my now dead, hand me down MQ patrol. but it does shudder when braking, will changing the rotors and brakes eliminate that? and if so, how much are you looking at to replace the sets on all four wheels with rda rotor / qfm pads?

You in Brisbane at all? If so I would a guy called Lee at Lee's Parts and Performance I got a really good deal on my RDA slotteds from memory about $160ish.

Otherwise I would try sending a pm or post to Racebrakes (site sponsor) I know a lot of the guys here swear by them.
Old 20-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #36
partzkid

RDA slotted and slotted/dimpled combined with the HP-X/K500 QFM heavy duty pad would have to be one the best combo's for street driven cars. although the pads take 2 or 3 stops to come around when cold, they don't shudder, squeal and the brake dust in minimal. plus you'll get moke km's out of a set of QFM's than anything bendix/rda/maxi can offer. i sell these all the time and i have never had anyone complain of this combo

partzkid
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #37
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since my previous post in this thread I have replaced my rotors and pads to Tickford premiums and TRW pads. For a cheap alternative to bendix and the like and you cant get QFM( which my local ABS no longer stock) these pads are also brilliant, I have had them on a race track with absolutely no fade at all. There isn't any dusting and stop just as well as QFM, these also have a high temp rating of 650 deg and an anti squeal shim.
Old 21-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #38
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_liss_lms10
Since my previous post in this thread I have replaced my rotors and pads to Tickford premiums and TRW pads. For a cheap alternative to bendix and the like and you cant get QFM( which my local ABS no longer stock) these pads are also brilliant, I have had them on a race track with absolutely no fade at all. There isn't any dusting and stop just as well as QFM, these also have a high temp rating of 650 deg and an anti squeal shim.
TRW/Lucas is what I switched from I had no real dramas with the pads as such they are a very good pad but oh my god the brake dust.

As for Protex rotors bah they are not really my cup of tea at present, but good luck to those that have had good mileage from them.
Old 21-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #39
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

For anyone looking for QFM pads, there's some to suit most falcons listed on ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_...All-Categories

Have to agree with all the good things said about them, I had a set on my EB, and they were excellent pads. They were replaced for something "better".... only they weren't!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #40
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

sent off an email to John Bryant of Quality Friction Materials (the WA distributor)

this was what I got back:

Hi David, thanks for your enquiry re brake pads for your AU Falcon, please see pricing as per below -

Super X = $50.00 per set ( total = $100.00 for front & rears) - both instock

HPX = $80.00 per set (total = $160.00 for front & rears) - rears only instock (fronts approximately 4 weeks)

Freight to Melbourne = $16.00 (Platinum Express Post)

Please let me know if we can help further.

Regards John Bryant

Hope this helps some people out with regards to costings etc.....

May be leaning towards getting the 'Super X' ones - their temp rating is 0 - 450, the HPX is 0 - 550.....would there be any massive difference between the two types?

Also, after GK said he gets his QFM pads from AutoOne, I went to the one in Bayswater, only to find they don't stock them :(

It appears the above ebay links are all from the 'Brakewest' store in Sunshine, Melbourne - for AU's they have the K500 'performance' pads for $80 (fronts only) - their temp rating is 0 - 500, so in the middle of the Super X and HPX pads......

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-A...3286.m20.l1116

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 21-06-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #41
blueoval
Critical Thinker

thanks for the feedback dave.

seems these pads are the goods. i'll certainly be looking at the HPX's when my bendix HD's are done.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #42
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

emailed the Brakewest store directly....

Hi Dave, the super x are $60 an axle set and the hpx are $80 an axle set + $15 P&H.

Thanks
Goran
Old 23-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #43
Ride
Stay Classy ™

I wonder if they make a set of pads to suit Brembos, the last set of SBS Carbon Ceramics and Ferodo DS2500's were $450 a set ...
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post