Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default where does 'gate' stem from (scandals)

i'm just curious why all the scandals end up with 'gate' tacked on the end. seems to have only started recently. first i can remember is some 'iguanagate' thing, but now even the v8's have used it with the splitter thing (splittergate). sounds pretty retarded if you ask me. just wondering where its come from and what it means.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
zx10

Google watergate scandal.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Dazza TT
Back in a Ford

I'm fairly sure it all started with "Watergate"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ial/watergate/
Dazza TT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yep, Watergate.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

cheers guys. so now they just tack 'gate' on the end of everything.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

We even have the utegate scandal here in Brisbane FFS :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
It's just a media circlejerk. To make up for the fact they can't think of a witty name they call every scandal something-gate. The cliche is as tired as it is stupid.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just wondering if we will see V8"GATE" like we saw in the late 80's with ford not having a V8 in thier range

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or you could love external wastegates..
Old 21-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
it seems to me that fleet street started that with boring consistency around 97 with jerezgate and since as you said, everything has gate tacked on the end of it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Haaa this is hilarious. A quick google search reveals that there are many sites that discuss this very topic lol

http://enc.slider.com/Enc/Gatemania

Quote:
List of scandals with "-gate" suffix
(Redirected from Gatemania)

The English suffix -gate derives from the Watergate scandal of the United States in the early 1970s, which resulted in the resignation of U.S. President Richard Nixon. In 1973, agents of the Nixon administration broke into the offices of Democratic National Committee at the Watergate Building in Washington D.C., seeking information that would damage the credibility of Daniel Ellsberg, who had released the Pentagon Papers to the public.

When news of the break-in became public, the drawn-out political and criminal battles became one of largest political scandals in modern world history. The suffix -gate has since been used to name various other scandals, many of which were distinctly minor affairs, by comparison, as the following list demonstrates. The cumulative effect has been to trivialize the issues of Watergate.

* Bastardgate – Fallout from former UK Prime Minister John Major being caught on camera in 1993 calling three of his ministers "Bastards".
* Billygate – US President Jimmy Carter's brother, Billy Carter, legally represented a Libyan terrorist.
* Bingogate – the use of charity funds for the ruling party in British Columbia.
* Camillagate – tape of a telephone conversation between Charles, Prince of Wales and Mrs Camilla Parker-Bowles.
* Cheriegate – concerning Cherie Blair's association with Carole Caplin.
* Chinagate – improper campaign contributions to the Democratic Party
* Contragate – see Irangate.
* Corngate – the accidental release of genetically modified corn in New Zealand.
* Debategate – Carter's debate briefing books.
* Dianagate/Squidgygate – tape of a telephone conversation between Diana, Princess of Wales and a male friend.
* Donnygate – corruption amongst Doncaster councillors.
* Enrongate – fraudlent accounting practices led the company to the largest bankruptcy suit in history.
* Filegate – White House officials improperly requested and received security files from the FBI.
* Gropegate – California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger was alleged to have groped many women while working on movies.
* Hansiegate – cricket match-fixing scandal involving South African captain Hansie Cronje.
* Hoovergate – Hoover's "Free Flights" promotion fiasco.
* Intimigate or Plamegate – the revealing, by Robert Novak, of the true identity of Valerie Plame.
* Irangate – (also Iran-Contra affair) – The United States sold weapons to Iran and diverted the proceeds to the Contra rebels in Nicaragua.
* Iraqgate – Where Finnish opposition leader Anneli Jäätteenmäki used state secrets against prime minister Paavo Lipponen during the parliamentary election campaign.
* Jueteng-gate – Scandal involving Philippine president Joseph Estrada alleging that he amassed millions of dollars from an illegal numbers game called jueteng. As a result, he was deposed through a popular uprising.
* Koreagate – Korean businessman's dealings with certain members of Congress (1976).
* Lexusgate – Top financial officer of Hong Kong, Antony Leung purchased a Lexus right before a luxury car tax hike was announced.
* Monicagate (also "Zippergate", Lewinsky scandal) – named after Monica Lewinsky who had a sexual relationship with the then–US President, Bill Clinton.
* Memogate – Involving the use of Killian documents on 60 Minutes, making unsubstantiated claimes about George W. Bush's National Guard service; resulted in the retirement of Dan Rather.
* Nannygate – noncitizen domestic help for U.S. attorney general nominees.
* Nipplegate – Justin Timberlake reveals Janet Jackson's nipple during the halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII. Called "teatgate" by Jon Stewart.
* Officegate – the investigation into Scottish First Minister Henry McLeish's decision to sub-let his constituency office, resulting in his resignation.
* Orlengate – corruption scandal in Poland
* Paksagate (Paksageitas) – Impeachment of president Rolandas Paksas of Lithuania
* Pardongate – President Clinton's presidential pardons.
* PEMEXGATE – scandal in México dealing with funds from PEMEX the national oil company.
* Pretzelgate – To explain a two-inch bruise on the face of U.S. President George W. Bush, he and his staff claim he hit his face on a coffee table after passing out because he choked on a pretzel. Some people felt the story was invented to cover-up the real cause of the bruise.
* Rathergate (also "Memogate") – Memos, soon proven to be forged, surfaced in 2004 alleging President George W. Bush of being derelict in his duty in the Texas Air National Guard in 1972. Reporter Dan Rather broke the story on 60 Minutes, and continued to stand behind it for days after the documents were all but proven false. See also Killian documents.
* Rubbergate – members of the United States House of Representatives knowingly wrote bad checks without being penalized.
* Rywingate – a recent scandal in Poland, named after Lew Rywin who, on July 22, 2002, demanded a 17.5 million USD bribe from Adam Michnik (Gazeta Wyborcza) claiming that he was sent by the then Prime Minister of Poland, Leszek Miller.
* Shawinigate – scandal over former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien's alleged conflict-of-interest in real estate in his riding.
* Skategate – the scandal over the pairs figure skating results of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, where a judge was apparently bribed to fix the outcome. The case went on for nearly two weeks before joint gold medals were granted.
* Sponsorgate – The Canadian sponsorship scandal.
* Strippergate – Seattle City Council members Heidi Wills and Judy Nicastro vote for rezoning a strip club parking lot in exchange for unethical donations. Also the name of a scandal in Canada in 2004 with the Minister of Immigration Judy Sgro accused of granting a visa to a Romanian exotic dancer who worked for her campaign during the 2004 Canadian Federal Election.
* Svengate
* Toallagate – A scandal involving the cost of towels in the official residence of Mexican president Vicente Fox.
* Tunagate – In 1985 a Canadian minister orders the selling of tuna ruled unfit for consumption.
* Whitewatergate – In 1994, President Bill Clinton and his wife Hillary were charged with covering up shady investments.
* Votergate – Documentary Film regarding United States Presidential Election November 2nd, 2004. The film explores questions of alleged fraud, lack of accountability or transparency in the vote count, disenfranchisement, hackable computers, and other conspiracy theories that might offer an explanation to the re-election of incumbent President George W. Bush.
* Yellowcakegate – Crudely forged documents intended to implicate Iraq in developing nuclear weapons were used by the U.S. government to justify the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=364x1080240

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...gate_isnt.html

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder why with the 'watergate' thing that started it all ,that 'deepthroat' (code name for the informant) is not used??

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
I wonder why with the 'watergate' thing that started it all ,that 'deepthroat' (code name for the informant) is not used??
Maybe they prefer to remember Richard Nixon than Linda Lovelace
Old 22-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Maybe they prefer to remember Richard Nixon than Linda Lovelace
But Linda was better looking and talented.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 22-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Clintons indiscretion with a certain intern would have been a good time to use it!
Old 22-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Clintons indiscretion with a certain intern would have been a good time to use it!
Just like he used her!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Nipplegate, the best of the gates!

edit, removed tags lol NSFW
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5121/23661206xk2.jpg
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Just like he used her!

I have vague memories of a cigar in this here.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 22-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
Nipplegate, the best of the gates!

edit, removed tags lol NSFW
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5121/23661206xk2.jpg
Damned wardrobe malfunctions....lol

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 22-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there was an incident during the nixon administration where the watergate building was bugged resulting in the eventual downfall of nixon . the rest strm from this

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post