Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 
Default Nokia N95 8Gb Problems

my N95 stuffed up on me today, i set the alarm last night around 11pm, work up this morning and NONE of the buttons work besides the on off button and then when i do turn it off and on again, i get to the pin code and thats it, cant go no furthur cause no buttons will work. Last night the phone was working fine.... certainly no indication of problems, especially something like this!

Is there a way to get into the phone and retreive all my photos etc i have or should i just write the phone off?

Anyone else had issues with the N95??? ive not had any major issues with the phone up until now besides it sometimes having a brain fart and resetting itself from time to time.... this problem today is totally out of the blue and i cannot justify it considering the phone wasnt dropped or mistreated to help something like this along.

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
ch33z1l
Dawn

I have a friend who works in a Telstra shop, and they have quite a few N95's returned.

Id return it mate...no help other than that.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

could a virus of done this??? i check facebook and my emails on the phone so wondering if there are virus's that effect phones?? i had the optus F secure scanner on the phone also and only did a scan of the fone the other day with no issues

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a N95, not the 8gig..... it crashed a few months back, nothing but the Nokia Sign.... that's it, would just hang there, had to have it sent away, took them 2 weeks to "Reset" it... All i lost was my phone numbers, Photo's were all safe, think they saved to the sim card, or something...
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try taking the battery out for about half an hour and see how you go.
Alternatively, take the sim card out also and see if it works then. Perhaps the sim is stuffed.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had alot of problems with Nokia phones. I've recently switched from them to Sony Ericsson's and although some problems are there, not as many as the current nokias.

Google 'hard reset for N95 8gb' and read up on the responses. Hard resets set the thing back to firmware default. Which means all data will be wiped (back up your phone regularly)

I tend to do a hard reset once a month simply to keep the junk at bay, especially when you start browsing the web often from your phone.
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
5L
[ 5L ]

had heaps of problems with my n95 freezing then it has to be turned off then on again, gf has had a few problems with her 8gb version. mainly she just hates the layout of the phone.

i just got a samsung omnia, and i think i need to read the instruction manual a bit more, wish now i just got a simple phone like the sony erricson i was looking at.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
adsm
Starter Motor

have you tried the desktop manager for noika?
adsm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i had a few problems with my current phone n96 since i tried hacking it but failed,

Problems i had were

- Video center didn't Open
- Mobile Tv didn't Open

anyway i tried everything reset back to Normal and My only choice was doing an annoying Hard Reset the annyoing way

FOR FLASHING- TOTAL RESTORE: (Do this if your phone does not boot up) - you can say this one gives you the "New" OS, and of course deletes all user info

How to do it:
1) Remove the battery, and then wait for about 20 min or so before putting it back

2) Press and hold these three keys together -Green dial key, Star key[*], Three key [3]

3) switch ON the phone.

4) Do not let go the three keys until you see the WELCOME screen displayed and just let it complete the boot process

================================================== ======
Soft Reset and Hard Reset By stand By Screen

===================

*#7780# FOR SOFT-RESET- does not delete user info such as contacts, sms, etc

How to do it:
- at Standby Screen type-in => *#7780#
It will ask for “Restore all phone settings-phone’ll restart….”
Then it asks for security code enter factory default => 12345

*#7370# FOR HARD-RESET- deletes all user info

How to do it:
- at Standby Screen type-in => *#7370#
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
Hitman
Way over here

Yep, I've got am N95, and other than random resets in the middle of calls it was working fine until the other day when I made a phonecall, phone worked fine, I hung up and noticed the screen was dead, thought it was strange so I took the battery out for awhile, when I put the battery back in it would turn on but the lights on the buttons would flicker and the screen was still dead.
Same thing happened to the N70 I had, was working fine unitl the screen died. both are now useless.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I'd try a software reflash first, see how it goes. It's unlikely you'll get your data back though. The 8GB version of the N95 was much improved, the proof is in the fact it's still sold alongside the N96. Having said that all N-series phones are susceptible to software faults like this. I would suggest it's software anyway, unlike Samsung and Sony-Ericsson which tend to have hardware faults.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Iv had my N95 for a year, and never had a problem with it. best phone iv had!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Hitman
Way over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
I was saying the same thing until it died suddenly
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
yeh i had to agree. Im going to try and do the reset on it today and see what happens, but, i also talked to my provider and they sending me a new one with no change to my contract, so if i can get my "OLD" one working, ill have a spare to offload.

will keep you all posted how i go with the reset!

cheers

Old 06-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Hmm I've had mine for 2 years with no worries, including dropping it a number of times.

Have a look at http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/

This used to be a N95 users only forum but became so popular they now include other models.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Skotty
Banned

My old N73 done similiar, crashed couldn't do anything... I had just got out the shower and checked a message and got a little bit of water on my keypad... otherwise that was fine... not I'm just having issues with my N85 lol...
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #17
v8ltd
351 cubic inches of FURY!

Hi mate, I've been repairing mobile phones for nine years now and have had plenty of N95s including the 8G model come in to our repair centre.
Common cause for faults with the N95 being the main flex cable that connects the main PCB to the rest of the phone, over time the cable deteriorates due to the constant sliding which results in the fine copper traces on the cable shorting out. This can make the phone start to behave very strangely! similar to what you have described. These models are also prone to firmware corruption, so it might be required to re-flash the firmware with and updated version, this could be done through Nokia PC suite, but if the phone will not completely boot up this will need to be done via a special flashing box. Note this will erase all data of the phone. Another common problem is liquid ingress which could also make it behave erratically.

One thing you could try if the phone does not completely boot up is hold down the: * and 3 and green call keys and then press the power switch, keep the *, 3 and call keys pressed until the phone boots up. Also note, this will master reset the phone.

PM me if you want any other info, I am happy to help.

cheers,

Gil.
v8ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
i had a few problems with my current phone n96 since i tried hacking it but failed,

Problems i had were

- Video center didn't Open
- Mobile Tv didn't Open

anyway i tried everything reset back to Normal and My only choice was doing an annoying Hard Reset the annyoing way

FOR FLASHING- TOTAL RESTORE: (Do this if your phone does not boot up) - you can say this one gives you the "New" OS, and of course deletes all user info

How to do it:
1) Remove the battery, and then wait for about 20 min or so before putting it back

2) Press and hold these three keys together -Green dial key, Star key[*], Three key [3]

3) switch ON the phone.

4) Do not let go the three keys until you see the WELCOME screen displayed and just let it complete the boot process

================================================== ======
Soft Reset and Hard Reset By stand By Screen

===================

*#7780# FOR SOFT-RESET- does not delete user info such as contacts, sms, etc

How to do it:
- at Standby Screen type-in => *#7780#

*#7370# FOR HARD-RESET- deletes all user info

How to do it:
- at Standby Screen type-in => *#7370#
I did the hard reset on the phone today and seemed to work fine, didnt wipe all my data like photos or music files, i got all them off the phone BEFORE i did anything just in case.... phone seems to be working nicely again

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8ltd
Hi mate, I've been repairing mobile phones for nine years now and have had plenty of N95s including the 8G model come in to our repair centre.
Common cause for faults with the N95 being the main flex cable that connects the main PCB to the rest of the phone, over time the cable deteriorates due to the constant sliding which results in the fine copper traces on the cable shorting out. This can make the phone start to behave very strangely! similar to what you have described. These models are also prone to firmware corruption, so it might be required to re-flash the firmware with and updated version, this could be done through Nokia PC suite, but if the phone will not completely boot up this will need to be done via a special flashing box. Note this will erase all data of the phone. Another common problem is liquid ingress which could also make it behave erratically.

One thing you could try if the phone does not completely boot up is hold down the: * and 3 and green call keys and then press the power switch, keep the *, 3 and call keys pressed until the phone boots up. Also note, this will master reset the phone.

PM me if you want any other info, I am happy to help.

cheers,

Gil.
Hi Gil
It certainly makes sense about what you just said, my OLD N95 certainly cops a hammering and also due the the fact i work in a rock quarry, dust wouldnt be helping it either.
As mentioned above i did the hard reset and the phone and buttons all seems to be working fine again so im going to continue using my OLD N95 now, even tho my provider replaced it so now i have a brand new N95.... dunno what to do with it now. Id consider selling it in hoping my old N95 will last another 6months til my contract renewal is due in December and then i will upgrade to a newer model.

im pretty sure the NEW n95 is locked tho so dunno if that can be removed before i sell it or not.

Old 16-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

forget my last message

my OLD n95 just stuffed up on me again.... so, naturally, ive resorted to the NEW one.... bugger!