Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Default Mature Age Apprenticeship

Hey guys, I'm not usually the one to advertise personal problems, but I'm sick of the security industry, I was over it years ago but HR convinced me to stay of for a bit more, but I'm done with it now.

I've always been interested in getting a apprenticeship ever since school but a number of factors have stood in the way, well no longer!

Problem is in the days of the GFC its not so easy to source a apprenticeship, let alone keep it going the full 4 years.

I'm looking for ideas of trades and industries that are stable, I have NO interest in Hospitality and Mechanics, short of that I'm open to everything, I've always been interested in Coach and Boat building, but again, these days of the GFC I'm not sure on how stable those industries are.

I'm based on the Sunshine Coast and don't really want to move away but ill consider Brisbane.

Also I've been looking into apprenticeships offered by Energex but am wandering what sort of work there is for a ,electrical fitter mechanic, electrical lines persons and underground cable jointer's outside of Energex?

Also I have done a traineeships through high school (10 years ago) that was a engineering level 1, basically was the TAFE side of a first year electrician apprenticeship and a bit of welding and mechanics, whilst working for my dad that was a Refrigeration Mechanic

Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
olfella
Cranky old bastard

My two cents would be look at licensed trades like refrigeration, electrician, gas fitter, plumber etc. This would give long term job security and the opportunity to 'go it alone'.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
redranga

Take the olfella's advise, he's on the money.

As a diesel fitter my regret is not doing a licensed trade.

Try and get anyone who a licensed tradie to come and do work for a carton. For some reason people think its ok to pay for mechanical work with a carton for the job, when a fair rate is a carton per hour.
redranga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
CJR09
RPO 77

Plumbing was voted as most recession proof job in world

there will always be a necessity for clean drinking water and a means of discharging and getting rid of waste!

helps being a worldwide shortage of them!
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd probably go electrician or plumber, highest paying and probably the most respected out of the trades. They're always in need, i very much doubt you'll run out of business - toilets and lights always need to work!

If i was you i'd ring up a local apprenticeship centre. They will be able to advise you on the best route, help with information and some of them even act as a recruitment agency.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I finished my Linesman apprenticeship last year, and i love the work. Not sure on the underground cable joiner but there are positions for liney's and electrical fitters outside Energex, Ergon, CE, EenergyAustralia ect, as Vic is all privatized as is South Aust. There are also private powerline construction companys that hire lineworkers etc.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
macca13

Agreed with licensed trade even a fridgy is in demand. I've been doing diesel fitting for 16 years and often thought I should've done an electrical trade but I'm earning good coin and don't spend all my time on tools as a leading hand so it's all good.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
Plumbing was voted as most recession proof job in world

there will always be a necessity for clean drinking water and a means of discharging and getting rid of waste!

helps being a worldwide shortage of them!
What about people who make tomb stones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am also a fridgy. Just started my Fridgy apprenticeship and i love it. Got a couple of mates who are also fridgy's and love it. Refrigration Mechanics are probably one of the best paid trades i would think. People will always need their stuff cold.

Good Luck with it mate.
mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
kenz
BOSS Pilot

People will always need a haircut Mick :P

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
104ord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another fridgy here.. i was going to say something about trade shortage.. but there seems to be plenty or refigeration mech. out there.. great trade
104ord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
People will always need a haircut Mick :P
Excellent suggestion!

Pick one which satisfies you aptitude, you may have to do it for life - well till 67 anyhow!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Yeah having the semi start in refrigeration would mean ill most likely go down that path, but i was just interested in what else is out there, its probably a choice between Sparky and Fridgy
Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Just don't do a trade where you are stuck in a factory. You forget what daylight is.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have also been thinking of doing an adult apprenticeship as a sparky

just not sure where to look or who to contact

im in geelong btw

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 24, looking for a trade apprenticeship, live on the Morninton Peninsula..anyone want to employ me? : lol.

Cam
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Avionics techs with licences working in the right place can rake it in!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #18
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

electrical linesman (energex) is a pretty good job. seems to be a bit of a leaning towards giving adults appentices a go in this industry as well. probably because the older guys have a bit more maturity, body strength and are also able to get truck licences so they can use the machinery.

i was in my mid 20s when i got my start as a trainee linesman in `86, in nsw it was only classed as skilled labour then , not a trade. now you do a full 4 year appenticeship and it is a fully reconised trade. you can also do extra related trades at the same time such as underground cable joiner or electrician.

in the small depot where i work (ergon) we have hade one adult app just finished his time and another half way through. they seem to start one every 2 years. this year the tried a 17 year old guy, was more interested in his mobile phone then work and after spending 10 weeks getting initial training in townsville, spent a week and a half in the depot and decided to move to melbourne.

there are lots of contractors who do line work in qld both for energex and ergon as well as property developers. not an over supply of linesmen around either as there wern`t many trained for several years and there became quite a shortage.

these days the money is good (i`m on better $ per hour than my brother who is a heavy machinery mechanic).

there used to be a contractor company (S&D powerlines) at Kunda Park might be worth looking up.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #19
Jesk
certified nutter

Im an adult apprentice mechanic and auto elect at 23 (first year) I love it and havent looked back
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #20
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
All to rare these days, hence why i left that trade and doing cross apprenticeship as a regular old sparky. And i earn more now than when i was a tradesman, go figure.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #21
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
This was acutally going to be my next question!

A friend of mine works in a training facility for Aviation (They train The hostess's as well as the mechanics and engineers.)

And im able to get a discount on the course costs! But thats another industry that worries me about stability, with the GFC i suspect they would be slowing down a little as well....

Some great tips here guys!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
old_mate
Smash the Boost

I attended aviation australia in 2003, it lead me to my apprenticeship with Qantas in Sydney. It was great, then they closed Sydney heavy maintenance in 2005 and i ended up in Brisbane heavy maintenance working on 767's. If i had never left sydney chances are i would still be with the airline however they really went after the conditions and wages in Brisbane threatening to never allow the A330 maintenace to be done there. Now that the 767's are being retired they have announced the A330 heavy maintenance will be done in Brisbane after all, but it's not the place I wanted to be. It's a great industry, i'll get back into it one day, probably as a contractor

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post