Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 
Default Creaking brakes

When releasing the brakes on the ute, I get this loud creaking/groaning noise. Seems to me like it's the front brakes. It's annoying and a bit embarassing in car parks. A search brought up ball joints / tie-rod ends, but I'm not sure it's the same noise. This sounds like the staircase at the Munster's or something (showing my age). Could the pads be glazed? Thanks. PS: 126K on clock.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Nutcase
Starter Motor

Mate I'm getting the exact same on mine. Still happening after new front discs and pads and ball joints. Might be rears though, hard to trace the sound when you are sitting inside.
Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

usually rears, mine still do it a bit with new rear rotors, but no where near as much with the stock ones. it seems like the pads drag on the disc a bit, i guess you could pull them off and sand them back a bit to get rid of any glazing and see if that helps...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not the handbrake band inside the rear rotors? I know mine squeaks from time to time when I take off from the traffic lights...

Stupid self adjusters....

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Lita
It's not the handbrake band inside the rear rotors? I know mine squeaks from time to time when I take off from the traffic lights...

Stupid self adjusters....
Had another listen, and I think you're right, it's the rears. Which means it's probably the dreaded handbrake noise. Which means it's not really fixable from what I've been reading. Sorry to bring up an old subject; I thought it was the front.

Old 16-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

handbrake is definitely fixable. basically what you need to do is, pull the discs off and file the leading and trailing edges of the shoes back, then check the adjustment. should be no more squeaks. i have done mine recently and it's perfect now. mind you it takes 6 or 7 clicks to hold, but no squeaking.

if it does the groaning as you slowly let off the brake pedal, it will probably be glazed rear rotors
Old 17-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
lofty
Rusticating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
if it does the groaning as you slowly let off the brake pedal, it will probably be glazed rear rotors
That description sounds right. Just did a light deglaze on the RH rear rotor, but the noise is still there. Maybe I should just think of it as 'character'.

Old 17-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, maybe, lol.

either that or a "standard feature"

as i said, after replacing the rear rotors with slotted rda's it doesn't do it anymore, so i'm not sure... good luck fixing the problem...
Old 18-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
lofty
Rusticating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
as i said, after replacing the rear rotors with slotted rda's it doesn't do it anymore, so i'm not sure... good luck fixing the problem...
Anyone tried Reliance rotors?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=140321294163
http://www.bpa.com.au/autoprodrotors.html

Old 21-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #10
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

au brakes hate reversing
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Unfortunately it sounds like it's the common handbrake issue. That squeal noise is something a lot of us AU owners are getting used to :(
AUbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post