Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Surditas
Starter Motor

Default Fiesta Zetec 3-Door Sideskirts

I'm tempted by the new Fiesta. I'm after the 3-door Zetec, but I'm not sure I can live with the sideskirts. I think they look juevenile on Martin Smith's excellent design.

My question is, does anyone know how easy they are to remove? Well, obviously they unbolt, but do they leave visible holes?

Surditas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surditas
I'm tempted by the new Fiesta. I'm after the 3-door Zetec, but I'm not sure I can live with the sideskirts. I think they look juevenile on Martin Smith's excellent design.

My question is, does anyone know how easy they are to remove? Well, obviously they unbolt, but do they leave visible holes?

Why would you want to remove the side skirts for? I've ordered the 5dr version and apparently they don't come with side skirts and I would love to have them on it. But then again, everyones taste is different.
Not sure if they will leave any adhesive marks/holes on it. Best to ask the dealer/service as they will be able to accurately tell you exactly what and how the skirt is held into place.

Hope this helps.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

End of story!

Last edited by b2tf; 25-03-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: image removed
photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Yes, can understand why you want to remove them.

I inititally was disappointed they didn't come on the 5 door (which we got) but after seeing them on a 3 door in person, glad they didn't come on the 5 dooir.

Ruins the look of the car - makes to look too heavy/deep in side profile.

They are removable, takes just a few minutes (bolts and clips).

The lines look much better with them off.
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Surditas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec Dave
Why would you want to remove the side skirts for? I've ordered the 5dr version and apparently they don't come with side skirts and I would love to have them on it. But then again, everyones taste is different.
I think the basic design of the car is very clean. Ford agree. The Verve show car of 2007 had no body kit. The first official photos of the production car had no body kit. The Zetec S in Europe comes without sideskirts.

It is personal taste, but I think the sideskirts make the owner look like they have an expense account at Autobarn. : It's just not my thing.

The body kit on the three-door is a bit of a marketing sop. The Zetec S overseas has different suspension and steering calibration to the base models, but our Zetec doesn't. It's the same spec as a CL, but marketing decreed that a 'sporty' version was needed, hence the bodykit.

You can't specify a CL to the same standard as the Zetec, so to get the spec I want it has to be the Zetec. I just don't want the body kit.

I'll have a chat to my dealer about a special order to have it de-kitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
End of story.
Well yes, very droll.

If I don't like something and I can change it, then I do. I think it's a better way to live then to let other people make decisions for you.
Surditas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Surditas, I actually like the 3 door with bodykit and decided against 5 door for that very reason! I think it's all or nothing. Front and rear skirts look weird without the sides.

I agree a Euro spec Titanium is HOT without any kit.

You 100% cannot, repeat cannot, get a special order without it. It will have to be Dealer removed. Trust me!
Old 24-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

The WQ Zetec was a Euro Zetec S with the sports suspension & gearbox & without the ST bumpers.
Looks like we missed out this time on the sports suspension & only got a body kit. The skirts are an option in Europe, though clearance issues might be why they're not standard.
Looking at the euro version, I don't think I like the front & rear kit either. Looks too just stuck on after.
Old 25-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surditas

It is personal taste, but I think the sideskirts make the owner look like they have an expense account at Autobarn. : It's just not my thing.

Surprinsingly, the lines without the side skirts flow much better.

Dealer will have no problem removing them - other option is to remove them yourself, store them and put them back on when you sell it.
Old 25-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will look odd missing just the side skirts. You should consider removing the rest of the boy kit. Otherwise it will look like one of those Commodores where the owner can only afford 19" rims for the front and 16" steelies on the back. It will look out of shape.

Maybe you could get someone to do a photoshop so you can see exactley how it will look before you start removing body bits. This can give you a good idea on how the final product will look.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

The 5 door WS Zetec doesn't have them and the line of the car flows better without them.

With them it looks like a riced Commodore
Old 25-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not really sure how having factory side skirts make the car look like a riced up Commodore. :
Old 25-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I'm not really sure how having factory side skirts make the car look like a riced up Commodore. :
The car already has a deep side profile, the skirts just make it worse and more of a bubble.

If you mean the skirts are nice because they are factory .... Ummm, they aint.

Far too heavy for a small car like this.

:
Old 25-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the side skirts, I think the reason the 5 door looks better than the 3 door to most people isn't because of the side skirts but the nicer shaper to the rear 1/4 window.

I don't think anyones sure on the suspension yet. Some say it's definatly harder some say not.

Candyman all the sporting Commodores have sideskirts, no ricing involved that's just how they were born, Dunno if you've seen a green SV 5000 in person but they are a stand out stunning car, The VP GTS is pretty good too

Last edited by greenfoam; 25-03-2009 at 02:21 PM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Yep, looks riced
Old 25-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
The car already has a deep side profile, the skirts just make it worse and more of a bubble.

If you mean the skirts are nice because they are factory .... Ummm, they aint.

Far too heavy for a small car like this.

:
No I don't mean they are nice because they are factory. It's just exterior trim and ford have tried to give it a sporty look. It's an option, same as different wheel styles, sizes and interior options. A sports pack or what ever ford call it, claiming the car looks like Rice, I just don't understand the logic. If someone said the fiesta was only ever built for women and Homosexual Male Hairdressers, would that be an accurate statement? I wouldn't think so.

But thats your opinion, we respect it.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Personally I like the kit, and think the 5 door Zetec looks crook without it.

Why not ask the dealer if you can de-option the skirts? Might even shave some $ off the price.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
It's an option, same as different wheel styles, sizes and interior options. .
In the Zetec 3 Door it isn't an option (should be)

The original designer moved away from skirts on this vehicle for the reason I mentioned before re the size of the vehicle and the side profile.

We get what you mean you though
Old 26-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #18
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like we could have a good old fight about whats better on the Fiesta skirts or no skirts , our 5 door looks great even without them but I feel it would be better with them so it didn't have that higher section in the middle compared to the very low front and rear (same bits that go with the skirts). It just looks like something is missing.

Found this too
http://www.dexigner.com/product/news-g17357.html
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #19
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

haha all this talk of side skirts is gettin me motivated! I still aint got round to spraying and installing the side-skirts i got in the shed on my 04' WP zetec :togo:
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #20
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Hurry up & do it then. We want to see the finished car.