Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help needed with resume

Hi fella's
Its been awile since i needed to write up a resume (about 10 years)

Im a plasterer and been self employed for a while now and in these times find myself in a position im not used to .

So I think this is whats needed ?

Objective (need help)
The bit im struggling with is the objective,
I thought want to make money is not really what there after

Qualifications

Education

Relevant Experience

Other Experience

References

So please can i have a idea on what to write in the objective , and if there is anything else im mising.
Thanks peeps

snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Just put a summary of your skills in instead of an objective. They wanna know what you will bring to the role and not your objective.

Also make sure your cover letter answers everything in the job add or they wont bother turning the page.
Old 25-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
3vXT

By objective to you mean the type of job you are looking for? The amount of hours per week etc...? I wouldn't mention money

Most of those things are things only you would know the answers too. Have you thought about trying an employment agency or something? If you're not working many hours they will help you do up a kick **** resume for nothing. I was unemployed for a while last year and had to go to the salvo's (employment plus) as part of the centrelink stuff. I had a resume that i thought was perfectly fine, then they rewrote it, made it look like crap, and i had a kickarse job 2 weeks later.
There would be free online stuff too probably if you can get too it through all the ads and crap. Other than that someone on here might be able to help you better than i can. Good luck with it

Also, I had 2 different resumes, with different types of skills, referees etc... for the different types of jobs i was applying for.
The cover letter I usually made up each time (edited a little anyway) specifically for the job i was applying for. Like the guy above said, Address the criteria in the ad, (or if its a less formal ad, just point out how you suit the role because of your skills, experience etc..) and if possible address the letter itself to someone specific at the place your applying for. Its not always possible though.

Last edited by 3vXT; 25-03-2009 at 01:56 AM.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers fellas
Old 25-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can certainly recommend you look to an agency to give a hand with a resume. Was in teh same position a few yrs ago and what i thought was a resume, went out with the ark.

one thing to incl is skills. this doesnt just mean plastering skills, but organising skills - gettingmaterials there on time, organising other tradies etc. Have to think of what skills you have that can be used in any sort of job really.
check out www.seek.com.au, there is some info on there about writing them too.

good luck

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

major point is NOT TO WAFFLE!!!

remember that they will be just quickly sifting through the resumes so they dont have time to read the life bio of snappy.

outline what skills you have, including job skills, tool skills, personal skills (time, management, book keeping if u have that).

outline any times where you have had to successfully have people working under you.

try and keep in point form as much as possible
Old 25-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Hi fella's
Its been awile since i needed to write up a resume (about 10 years)

Im a plasterer and been self employed for a while now and in these times find myself in a position im not used to .

So I think this is whats needed ?

Objective (need help)
The bit im struggling with is the objective,
I thought want to make money is not really what there after

Qualifications

Education

Relevant Experience

Other Experience

References

So please can i have a idea on what to write in the objective , and if there is anything else im mising.
Thanks peeps
I guess your objective is to gain fulltime work as a plasterer/finisher? I would also guess you wouldn't mind working in a team environment and contribute to the quality, reputation and growth of the prospective employer? Being highly motivated and armed with the skill set that comes from running a small business you would feel your experience was likely to compliment the company operations and profitability.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks agian people you have all been very helpful
Old 25-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

I have 4 resumes, all in different format to suit the job im going for.... Keep it short say 3-4 pages and for some reason dont list your references, again and again i have been told this as it keeps the ball in your court, just write referees available on request.
Goodluck mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

A good read here mate
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Resume revolution.pdf (185.5 KB, 80 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post