Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
BillC

Default Need help from the guru's

Hi all, in a past thread I talked about my XR8 missing. the suggestion was to put new spark plug leads. I put MSD leads on but the car is still missing. i am running NGK iridium plugs that have been in for about 20,000 Ks prior to these symptoms. The symptons are:

Starts fine, drives fine. Good economy (well what you would expect from an XR8)

But after a drive for about 30 minutes the car will miss. When I say miss it loses power for two or three short bursts. Its like the car hic ups. It does not feel like the leads are breaking down because I have felt this before. It mainly does it at low revs. Doing a U turn for example but not all the time and not necessarily turning. Then it might not do it again for another 30 minutes.

One thing I noticed when I tried to change the throttle position sensor with my mates Au 6. I pulled it out and when I put it back on I positioned it incorrectly and it gave the same hic up almost every time you drive off from a full stop. When I positioned it correctly it stopped doing it at take off but it has that same hic up every 30 minutes or so.

I am thinking I may have a dead spot on the TPS.

Could this give me those hic ups at a certain rev point ?

I would like to find one and swap it for a day to see if that is the problem before I go and buy on. I am not convinced this is the problem. I wish I knew somebody else with an XR8. Au 6 cylinders look the same but they have a different plug.

I took it to the local mechanic and of course he could find nothing wrong with it. It did not do it for him.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I'm going for a coil pack fault. They are a known issue that causes a miss and can be worsened by rising under bonnet temps.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

definately coil pack , as RUSSELL . says . tell tale symptom is . only when it's warm .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
BillC

Thanks guys, I have a spare one at home. I will give that a go.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The ones the leads plug onto front and centre of the engine?
Old 10-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
BillC

I bought a coil pack quite a while ago when I did a valve spring. Obviously I tried it and it didn't fix the problem. I have changed it before. I guess it will be try one and if it does not fix it I will try the other one. I hope this is the problem. You guys seem quite sure its the issue so its worth a try particularly as I have one sitting at home.

I will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Its the ngk plugs.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
BillC

I will try the coil pack first. If its still doing it after that I will get some new spark plugs.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

When you say "the" coil pack, I hope you mean two coil packs?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Get bosch plugs...

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Get bosch plugs...
Why would you say that? I've only ever run NGK plugs in mine and I've never had a problem.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Because NGK dont make good quality ceramic insulators.They crack too easily.They suck.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Because NGK dont make good quality ceramic insulators.They crack too easily.They suck.
Never had one crack on mine, not even going into no.5 cyl.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

For a guy that wanted the best out of my car I removed and reinstalled plugs like no tommorow.I can say I never cracked 1 bosch plug but 90% of the ngks.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
For a guy that wanted the best out of my car I removed and reinstalled plugs like no tommorow.I can say I never cracked 1 bosch plug but 90% of the ngks.
Sorry Stav but I'm going to have to say in has to be either poor luck or bad technique.

I've used NGK plugs for years on both the AU and the EL and I have never once cracked a plug. I change them in the AU regularly and I did so with the EL too.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

I have to say poor quality mate. When the chips are down ..quality counts.Also the iridiums produce a more powerful spark but not as fat as normal plugs so they tend to be great when fairly new but seem to misfire alot more than normal plugs as they age.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Ill video tape 6 ngks and post it here to prove my point. A slip of the spark plug remover shouldnt crack the insulator but ngks do.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
BillC

Hi all, I know the 8 has 2 coild packs.

I swapped the left one last night and the problem is still there. i then swapped the right one and problem still there.

I honestly dont think is a misfiring problem though.

Its like the engin cuts out for a split second. like its not getting a signal to to fire the plugs. seems to only happen at low revs. I can get the car to do it most of the time now just by taking off real slow. As the car is slowly going up the rev range the engin cuts out for half a second then its fine. Sometimes it will doing in second gear. (cars an auto).

This fault is driving me nuts.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

If you have a fault in both, which is highly likely, then changing one at a time won't show it. These Motorcraft coil packs generally only last 80k before they start having faults.

Have you cleaned your MAF?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im gonna go out on a limb and say its the ecu.

I had what you had BillC on my EB XR8. Changed ecu's and the problem stopped. If you can get ya hands on an ecu to test it, do it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
BillC

I hope its not the ecu. $$$$$ I just went to the local mechanic and I have booked an appointment tomorrow. He will hook up his test gear and we will take it for a drive. Hopefully I can reproduce the symptons for him and this may point to the problem.

This may also be relevant, About when this problem started happening I had a squeek coming from the front of the motor. See a previous post. Anyway the mechanic said it turned out to be a dry shaft where the crank angle sensor is. I am not sure exactly as I have never seen it. Anyway he pulled it out and applied greese which fixed the squeek. Now I have the engin cutting out. I suspect this is related.

I just asked the mechanic if he moved the crank angle sensor and he said he didn't but said they may have gotten some greese in or on the sensor or even where the plug fits in. He was unsure why it is only a problem at low revs.

I will see how it goes tomorrow and let you know.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Check the ego sensors as well

Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #23
BillC

The good news is that the car played up when I took it to the mechanic this morning. He hooked the diagnostic computer to the car and it showed a fault in the can angle sensor. He cleared it then we went for a drive and the fauld happened a couple of times and each time the cam angle sensor lost signal.

At least we are getting closer.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thats a positive diagnosis Bill. Keep onto it mate.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
BillC

For those following the story so far. Replaced the Cam angle sensor. Diagnosis says no fault. $107 for the sensor and 30 minutes labour = $150 odd dollars.

Drove from the mechanic shop back to work (about 600 meters) so far so good.

I will let you know in a couple of days if this was the problem. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #26
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear that things are heading in the right direction. As I scrolled down and read the symptoms I was thinking cam/crank sensor fault, for it to cut everything like that.

Keep us updated!
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #27
BillC

Good news all round. Cam angle sensor fixed the problem and the car is running all sweet again. Its just like a bought one.
Old 17-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #28
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
Good news all round. Cam angle sensor fixed the problem and the car is running all sweet again. Its just like a bought one.
Good to hear Bill. Enjoy

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8