Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tuned my LV XR5T

After some delays in getting my Advantage 3 dealer software upgrade and the necessary hardware compatible with the LS/LT/LV Focus I was able to put a tune in it yesterday.

The results - a massive increase in midrange torque. Torque steer is evident with TCS switched off, with the car quite happy to wheelspin 2nd gear when the throttle is flattened. The engine revs up very quick, but runs out of puff by around 5500-5700rpm. I say it's a limitation of the stock turbo charger. Small turbo = great low down response with quick spool up at the expense of top end power. Oh well, nothing a manifold and GT25/28 upgrade can't take care of

No dyno results just yet, I've checked AFR's with my wide band sensor with it showing good fuelling. I'll get the car to a dyno soon to see the difference in power/torque/boost between this tune and the stock one. Not that I really need to though to tell me what's going on - the boost gauge sits just shy of 1.2bar and the engine pulls like all heck.

The programming of these ECM's is very different to the Falcon/Territory programming. There's a huge amount of torque control and throttle control limiting power and boost. A quick remap fixes this.

Programming the ECM is time consuming, with the first ECM read to suck the factory tune and store it in the XCal 2 device taking around 45 minutes sleep: After the ECM has been read a Engine Malfunction signal appeared : followed by a ECM erase then around a 2-3 minute reprogram. Yeah the Engine Malfunction error was quite daunting - I've heard of others unlucky enough to fry the Focus ECM with the incorrect use of SCT XCal devices and/or wrong firmware. Luckily for me I am able to get the correct XC2 boxes with the right firmware.

So there you have it. One programmed LV XR5T. I'll post dyno sheets when I get it on a dyno.

A quick plug to Street Tuner for his assistance and Matt from BP Racing.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

If you get onto the www.fordxr5turbo.com forums and search for an " ECU spacer" that should fix the reknowned 5k flat spot. Can't talk from personal experiance yet but there's 11+ pages of guys raving about the results. Plus they're sourced from one of the forum members and it'll only set you back 50 beans!!

As for the ecu reprograming, what made you do it that way?? Most guys I know use a Dreamscience unit or something else similar. Plug in, wait 2-3 mins, unplug and your doneski, apparently with phenominal results.
Haven't done it myself yet (I've only had the car 3 weeks) but it sounds good.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've already fitted the ECU spacer, I believe the fall off in power over 5500rpm is caused by loss of boost. However, it is still making more power than stock at that point.

Why reprogram it myself? I'm already a SCT dealer, so why not be able to do the focus as well as the other vehicles I do

It's only the initial ECM read that takes a while, once done changing tunes via the hand held programmer only takes 2-3 minutes like you suggested.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
warren77

TVS Super Pursuit

How would this go on the XR5 Mondeo (2008 Model)? It comes standard with a different tune.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Fair enough.
I was getting a DIY vibe going on.

Has the spacer made a difference at all?? obviously you're keeping a close eye on gains you've made and i'm curious to hear from someone else what it's done.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Fair enough.
I was getting a DIY vibe going on.

Has the spacer made a difference at all?? obviously you're keeping a close eye on gains you've made and i'm curious to hear from someone else what it's done.
To be honest I haven't felt a difference with the space, but did the mod as it was cheap and appears it will improve airflow. I'm sure it will show some gain on a dyno.

With any luck I'll have it on the dyno early next week.