Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default No BS Home Phone and Broadband Plans. Who has one?

Hi all

Im after some advice on getting wireless broadband, the gf and I both have laptops and I figure we may as well try and get a better deal for everything at home.I'm looking for a plan that basically sets us up to pay $x per month for home phone and broadband, we are not huge users of either but we do need to have it available. I also want all the hardware included in the plan.

I've had a look at the usuals websites but its all jargon to me hence why I thought I'd ask here. Is anybody on a plan that sounds similar to what I'm after, if so are you happy with it and how much is it costing you?

TIA

b2tf

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Aust, if you don't use the land line for anything, then maybe a naked dsl plan is for you?

You don't need a phone line, so they just charge you for internet. It's what I will be going with when the time comes to give Bigpond the boot.

http://www.iinet.net.au/naked-dsl/plans.html

Pricing seems reasonable as well.

Otherwise my brother used an Optus deal which bundled home phone with broadband for a set amount of downloads and calls each month. Can't remember what he paid though. I'd look it up, but the Optus website keeps crashing, which is pretty indicative of their service.

Oo\===/oO

Last edited by Peuty; 03-03-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: More info
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im not sure if you have it down there but i was with optus on their fusion package it was pretty good but couldnt get it where i moved to so went to iinet. Now problems with any
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

So you want both a landline as well as wireless internet? With wireless, do you mean a modem able to convert wired ADSL to a signal that you can access via your laptops at the same time?

What do you generally use the net for?? If you know, what is your average download per month??

If you want hardware thrown in for 'free' you generally need to sign up to a 24 month contract. Not all free modems are wireless as well.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go Internode ADSL. I think they do a naked DSL also, do that then go VoIP for cheap calls Australia wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Go to and at the top right hand cornerBroadband Choice and input your budget, speed, package etc.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
GUTLES
Adam.

Go to Optus's website & see if they service your area, if they do you are able to get a cheap deal, if your like me & only telstra service your area your in trouble.

I'd love naked ADSL2+ with VOIP.

I'm with Dodo, pretty cheap for a telstra reseller, 10gb d/l on peak, 100gb off peak (1am-1pm), although it does drop out a fair bit.

As DoreSlamR said check out Broadband Choice & the Whirlpool forums, plenty of good info there but it does get confusing!

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Your better off running a wireless modem and access it in the house (if your just gonna use it at home). Oh and don't use Optus wireless as its not very good.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Ha, just realised I messed up my post, but the link still works and yes there is HEAPS of info there
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Go Internode ADSL. I think they do a naked DSL also, do that then go VoIP for cheap calls Australia wide.
Shame that is only available in the major cities.

Bigpond have a new unlimited plan that come complete with the legendary bigpond tech support (you do speak hindi and tamal don't you?)

Just about everything else is crap outside the capital cities.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Sorry I should have clarified, I have a home line with a fax which we need to keep, I also want to be able to use the home line for normal phonecalls and on top of that I want to setup a wireless network in the house so I can connect from any room etc. Both our laptops have wireless ability so I'm not too fussed how we go about getting it, just as long as it works.

I found a plan from Virgin last night which is $80 per month and uses a wireless modem to connect to the net and also sends phonecalls through it, it looks ok and I have my mobile with them too so it might work out a bit cheaper again if I bundle it. I'll look into it and see how I go.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
jonk

I probably wouldn't have given the link to combo fix...

This is what you need : http://www.incodesolutions.com/removeit.php
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Bigpond have a new unlimited plan that come complete with the legendary bigpond tech support (you do speak hindi and tamal don't you?)

Just about everything else is crap outside the capital cities.
If Telstra has their ADSL2+ equipment installed at your town (like mine does and I live regional) Internode resells it but albeit at a higher price than their own service but still cheaper than Telstra themselves. But yeah, if you're outside of metro areas 90% of the time you have a crappy chance of getting any sort of ADSL2+.

Change "Microsoft" with "Telstra/Optus" and thats damn right.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not quite true, they've done some good work in country SA. (As they are an Adelaide based company)
Things like installing WiMax networks on the Yorke Peninsula and giving ADSL (and in some cases, phone lines) to people down in the Coorong region.

But as Daymoe said, if ADSL2+ is available through Bigpond at your house, then it's available through a few other retailers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I found a plan from Virgin last night which is $80 per month and uses a wireless modem to connect to the net and also sends phonecalls through it, it looks ok and I have my mobile with them too so it might work out a bit cheaper again if I bundle it. I'll look into it and see how I go.
They apparently started out OK, but aren't that great anymore. Check out the Whirlpool Forums on the problems they have.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Your better off running a wireless modem and access it in the house (if your just gonna use it at home). Oh and don't use Optus wireless as its not very good.
Yep had that it was junk
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #16
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

iinet.com.au here and have basically what you are after with ADSL2+ currently getting up to about 20k line speeds as well, constantly have two connections running both via wireless on a home 4 or something 60gig a month, plus home phone about 80 bucks plus calls, could not be happier and they threw in a free wireless router for the house. ALSO no upload charges and only shaped when you hit the max, so NO EXTRA charges....

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately if your after Wireless there is basically still only 1 choice in Australia ... Telstra!

A bloke I work with used to work as a Tech at Telstra, he reckons they don't share their Wireless Network with any other 3rd party companies and their Wireless Network is by far the best in the Country .... their attitude is basically ... "you want it" ... "we have it" ... and this is the cost.

The only other Wireless Network is Optus who do sell to other 3rd parties ... Virgin etc.
Apparantly their network is nowhere near as good, or has as wider coverage as Telstra's though.

If you go with ADSL (which imho would definately be the way to go) as you won't have the dropouts etc of Wireless and will get much better performance, there is any number of companies which you could go with, but I would recommend, just as others here have numerous times..... Internode!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
If Telstra has their ADSL2+ equipment installed at your town (like mine does and I live regional) Internode resells it but albeit at a higher price than their own service but still cheaper than Telstra themselves. But yeah, if you're outside of metro areas 90% of the time you have a crappy chance of getting any sort of ADSL2+.
Change "Microsoft" with "Telstra/Optus" and thats damn right.
Telstra do not resell ADSL2+ and it IS available at almost all exchanges now. Internode et al only have access to ADSL1+ 8/384 and below.
Naked DSL is a PAPL attached to the company's DSLAM not Telstra VISP.
Optus do not sell new services that require Telstra Wholesale (VISP)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #19
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Telstra do not resell ADSL2+ and it IS available at almost all exchanges now. Internode et al only have access to ADSL1+ 8/384 and below.
Naked DSL is a PAPL attached to the company's DSLAM not Telstra VISP.
Optus do not sell new services that require Telstra Wholesale (VISP)
Telstra actually do allow other ISPs to sell their ADSL2+ services:

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/89937,...sale-deal.aspx

It comes at a cost though. Which is indicated with the higher prices.
Quote:

Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #20
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

I'm using 3 mobile on a 24 month plan seems fine so far 29$ for 3g but might up the plan to 39$ for 6g, only been using it for a couple of months, i also can check my usage for this and my phone with is also with 3
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
BA Baracus
xls

If you just want wireless for around the house (laptops in different rooms etc.) and you already have the phone you need to keep, just get whatever ADSL connection that suits (price) that includes the normal ADSL modem. Then you can buy a wireless router and plug the modem into it. They're cheap and easy to set-up, you can buy at tandy, harvey norman etc. or a computer place, can probably get one for $50-60.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #22
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Netspace all the way. I am not on the wireless but heres the link to it.

http://www.netspace.net.au/wireless_broadband.php

I have the landline for the fax, use voip for landline & mobile calls & have my ADSL (cant get ADSL2 out here :( )

Rates are great & I have had no problems at all.

Ohhhhh & for $30 I was able to have a NO CONTRACT plan for all
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #23
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
http://www.internode.on.net/resident...oplus/pricing/
Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
jonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
I probably wouldn't have given the link to combo fix...

This is what you need : http://www.incodesolutions.com/removeit.php
Aww crap ! How the hell did I post this in the wrong thread.

Did I really drink that much beer last night...
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
XWGT