Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
scorpio39

Default Fuel Filter Replacement

My,'99 factory dual fuel is running well on gas.
But on petrol it idles rough and drives like a "chaff cutter".
Logic has ruled out any electrical problems, so its down to fuel filter or pump.
Is replacing the fuel filter a difficult job ?
And are there any problems ?
I've had a look at it and appears that on the tank side there is a slip off connection.
It also appears the filter is held on by a pop riveted clamp but on checking it appears that instead of taking off the clamp. The new filter could be slipped in.
While the filter is off would it be ok to check to see if the fuel pump is working.

Any suggestions /
Many thanks in anticipation !!!

scorpio39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the hardest bit about the filter is getting that rear connection off. GK did a great write up on it. as for the pump, you should hear it when you turn the key on before starting the car, as long as the switch is in the petrol position (not sure if factory ones turn the pump off when on lpg) it should run for a couple of seconds. you should hear a sort of wirring from the back of the car. i personally wouldn't test it while the filter is off, fuel will go everywhere...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
scorpio39

Default Plastic Clip

I've purchased a new filter and it comes with a plastic clip with 2 prongs.
Is this the same clip that fits into the rear fuel line which requires depressing prior to removal ?

If it is it's a spare just in case the original one is damaged.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
the hardest bit about the filter is getting that rear connection off. GK did a great write up on it. as for the pump, you should hear it when you turn the key on before starting the car, as long as the switch is in the petrol position (not sure if factory ones turn the pump off when on lpg) it should run for a couple of seconds. you should hear a sort of wirring from the back of the car. i personally wouldn't test it while the filter is off, fuel will go everywhere...
Changing Fuel Filter
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...3&postcount=37

Hope this helps.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

i just replaced my fuel pump in my wagon...not a fun job. if it runs on petrol and you have full rev range, you may be lucky in that its not the pump...but if it starts on petrol but dies when you give a bit of throttle it will be the pump. my wagon would start on petrol, but u tap the throttle and it stalled. as i hadnt used petrol in a while...and had very little in the tank.... i tried the cheapest (and easiest) thing first...fuel filter. helped a little but ultimately i needed to do the pump....on a wagon and ute this requires petrol tank dropped out from under the car to replace the pump. in a sedan you can access the pump from the boot. an idea for you, and what i did was use a fuel pump from a 100 series land cruiser. being a LPG fitter, i have easy access to these all the time as we remove the rear petrol tank on these to fit the LPG tank to. all that is required is a quick re-wire in the pump housing and it works no worries took me a couple of hrs to do seeing as i had to drop the tank (i had the gas tank in my way so that s what held me up mostly) but the actuall re-wire and re-fit of the pump was 5 minutes. if you have a sedan...allow about 1/2hr
good luck with it

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio39
I've purchased a new filter and it comes with a plastic clip with 2 prongs.
Is this the same clip that fits into the rear fuel line which requires depressing prior to removal ?

If it is it's a spare just in case the original one is damaged.
missed this the first time....depends what series you have...late series had a filter with thread on out side, and rib on in side as the clip in the line from the tank connects straight on to this, the series 1 however had the 2 prong clip IIRC which sounds like the one u have. from the sounds of things you need a series 2/3 filter...part number escapes me at pressent, but they are different.

Quote:
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
scorpio39

Default Many Thanks Guys

All the info GK & au2sw supplied gives me more confidence to attack the job.

The chap at "BURSONS" said it was the correct filter for the AU 1.('99)

I hope it is the filter and not the pump.
Mine starts on petrol OK but when driving normal it appears it's starved of fuel.

Once again your help was appreciated !!!
Old 13-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
i just replaced my fuel pump in my wagon...not a fun job. if it runs on petrol and you have full rev range, you may be lucky in that its not the pump...but if it starts on petrol but dies when you give a bit of throttle it will be the pump. my wagon would start on petrol, but u tap the throttle and it stalled. as i hadnt used petrol in a while...and had very little in the tank.... i tried the cheapest (and easiest) thing first...fuel filter. helped a little but ultimately i needed to do the pump....on a wagon and ute this requires petrol tank dropped out from under the car to replace the pump. in a sedan you can access the pump from the boot. an idea for you, and what i did was use a fuel pump from a 100 series land cruiser. being a LPG fitter, i have easy access to these all the time as we remove the rear petrol tank on these to fit the LPG tank to. all that is required is a quick re-wire in the pump housing and it works no worries took me a couple of hrs to do seeing as i had to drop the tank (i had the gas tank in my way so that s what held me up mostly) but the actuall re-wire and re-fit of the pump was 5 minutes. if you have a sedan...allow about 1/2hr
good luck with it
if you don`t mind me asking how many k`s did your wagon do before the pump failed?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

um thast actually not the issue...however i have done 146000km in the wagon. the reason the fuel pump fail in mine was due to insufficent fuel in the tank to keep it from burning out. I run primarily on LPG and despite me saying to everyone else that when on LPG u need to have at least 1/4 tank of petrol at all times, i was running around with no petrol in the tank for a few weeks, this is what caused the pump to fail.
and from what you describe as your symptoms, more then likely it is just the filter.....

Quote:
Old 13-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers.....
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post