Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
gtfpv
GT

i hate to be a stick in the mud . here . but take it from someone who maintains cranes . ONCE YOU GET OVER 50 FEET. IT DOESNT MATTER HOW HIGH YOU ARE .
thats how i got over my fear of hieghts !!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #32
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Dubai is a city in the United Arab Emirates. Its basically a really rich country where people have more dollars than they know what to do with it. They know that crude oil is going to run out one day (which is how they became rich) so they are changing their economy to cater for tourism so they can have income when the oil runs out.

sorry , that statement is way off the mark. the royal family have all the money. most people dont live in dubia . and cant afford to stay there . they have living cities outside of dubia . . like every where else . the minority have all the money.
they are a very class orientated society .most people work to support thier rich royal families lifestyle . and only make a modest living themselves , foriegners do the hard hard labour , and get extremely exploited ( just like every where else) only elite workers , such as high ranking engineers and builders top end make great money .
however . if you are a local, you do get looked after in the way of health . health care there for locals have healthcare and welfare 2nd to none as thier birth right .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
One of my friends went there with her mum in May/June and absolutely hated it.

The people were rude to her, and public transport was almost non-existant.
What few cabs there were had to be fought for against the locals, and when they did manage to get a cab to get back to their hotel, he decided half way there he didn't want to drive them any further and kicked them out after demanding they pay the full fare.

She also said the city was dirty.
I'm sorry your friend had that experience. I found the public busses very tourist friendly, the taxi drivers honest and excellent English speakers, and it was no more dirtier than the streets of Sydney, but with just a ton more sand blowing around.

Regarding the treatment of females. One of my work partners moved there some 3 or 4 years ago and the feedback I get is all positive. She is a slender 6 foot blonde with blue eyes.... and very savy. If she was having any sort of issues she would not be hanging around for longer than needed.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post