Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Krakey
love thy ford

Default damn it! seriously.

hey guys changed my transmission fluid a few weeks ago and it has been a real c*** since then. My brother had bought some transmission and diff fluid when he did his a few weeks prior so i thought i might as well use that. I knew i had to use DEXTRON III but all i could find is this castrol epx diff and manual transmission fluid so i gave my brother a ring and he says use the red one. Thing was the bottle was white but the fluid was red (DEXTRON III bottle is the red one) and i told him it was this castrol epx stuff and he didnt hear it right and thought i said that it was tq 5 or something which he said was the equivalent. So i thought red fluid, it says manual transmission fluid this must be the right one..... turns out it is NOT the right one! He comes home today and points this out to me so i have been driving round with diff oil in my transmission which i would say has ruined my seals and bearings. not a happy camper :togo:

Krakey

Old 21-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
tufLTD
tufLTD

Are you talking about a manual or auto trans?
If it's auto, DO NOT use Dex 3 in it.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Krakey
love thy ford

nah manual mate
Old 21-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
MADED-6
MADED.6

wat fluid do u use in the autos then.
dont ford tell u to use dex 3.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Walkinshaw
Two > One

dex3 in a T5 will be fine.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in an auto tq95, 95/97le etc
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
tufLTD
tufLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakey
nah manual mate
That's OK then. The diff oil wouldn't have caused any damage, it would just make it difficult to change gears.
Drain it, flush it then refill it with the correct fluid. ATF or something like vmx80 will work.
Old 22-04-2008, 03:33 AM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

For a manual dexIII or even better TransmaxZ. For an auto TQ95 or equivalent ONLY
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What happens if an auto place puts in the wrong transmission fluid? I'm starting to wonder if a local place I go to intentionally causes transmissions to screw up.

My last cars tranny died about 12 months after taking it to them and my current one was fine, but a couple of months after taking it to them it's starting to clunk rather worryingly when it down shifts from third/second into first when there is anything more than light load on the accelerator.

Even if not intentional, I wonder if they have mistakingly used dextron in my auto?

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Krakey
love thy ford

flushed the system with dextron III and eveything is back to normal. no damage to anything luckily
Old 22-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
What happens if an auto place puts in the wrong transmission fluid? I'm starting to wonder if a local place I go to intentionally causes transmissions to screw up.

My last cars tranny died about 12 months after taking it to them and my current one was fine, but a couple of months after taking it to them it's starting to clunk rather worryingly when it down shifts from third/second into first when there is anything more than light load on the accelerator.

Even if not intentional, I wonder if they have mistakingly used dextron in my auto?

Matt.
i'd take it somewhere else if you can and get a flush and another filter change done just to make sure, but i wouldn't leave it too much longer. a new trans still isn't cheap if yours munches itself
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
MADED-6
MADED.6

i was going to do a service on mine and just put dex3 in it coz i get it free from work but might pay the money and get 95le.
how much do they take i can get 5 litres for $36 so if i get 2 that should be enough yeah?
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
tufLTD
tufLTD

If you're just going to drop the pan and replace the filter, it will only take 3.5 litres.