Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #61
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

There is a "Big Cat" in Pinjarra WA. There have been sightings of it for years!! Since I was a kid in fact...so yep...Years!!

A doco I watched the other day on Feral Cats do say they can get really big!

I would be scared as heck if I ever saw one though!
Old 21-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #62
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm from Adelaide and this is this the first time i have heard of such happenings.

But in saying that i seen a large cat in the the late 80's. I was only a child and this thing must have been 6'2" on it's hind legs and it was reall fat. Supposedly someone killed it with an axe
Old 21-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #63
Taxman
Taxman

Sorry folks I got halfway through doing this post early this morning and the wife had an accident on the back steps and I had to take her to hospital - she is back home wearing a plaster boot, Here is the post in full.

I realise that it has been some time since this thread has been added to, but last night I was driving back to Sydney from Melbourne up the Hume Highway. I was a couple of kilometres south of Euroa, I came around a bend in the road and trotting out into the road at the limit of my high beam/driving lights from my right was this enormous tawny animal. As I got close (probably 40 - 50 metres) with it caught in the high beam it turned an slunk back into the bushes.

If it was a feral cat it was the biggest bloody one I have ever seen. The whole thing was over in a matter of a few seconds, but I did notice the following (using my 18 month old German Shepard as a comparison for size):-
- it was a uniform tawny colour (similar colour to photographs of lions)
- it was longer and lower than my dog
- its tail was of uniform thickness over its entire length and was about the same length as the body
- it appeared to be very muscular and solid
- it's head appeared to be very box like with no apparent snout like a dog
- it's movements were feline and not like that of a dog.

My initial response was - "WHAT THE F#$@ - it's a bloody mountain lion!!!!" I wish I had the time to stop and grab my camera off the floor behind my seat.

Over the years I have heard of reports of sightings of panther's etc from around the Seymour area, approximately 50 km south of where I saw this animal, but from memory all those sightings were of black animals. I always treated those sightings as well as the ones in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney with a degree of skeptism. After what I saw last night I am not so sure.

To answer questions and comments in advance:-

No I wasn't drinking although I don't mind the occasional one or two.
No I wasn't smoking wacky backy, I have been a life long non smoker of all types of weed.
No I wasn't popping pills. The only tablets I take are prescription tablets for heart and diabetes.
By nature and by occupation I am observant and conservative and not given to flights of fantsy.
No it wasn't fatigue causing me to imagine things, I had only been on the road for less than two hours and I had a few hours sleep prior to leaving.

I would love to know exactly what it was that I saw - it was definately some sort of cat, but it was at least 4 -5 times the size of the biggest feral cat I have ever previously seen. I am not real good at estimating weight but I would suggest well over 40kg. It was bloody big.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #64
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

nice spot! the reason their so muscular and big, is all the terrain they cover, especially looking for water. As its been so dry for so long. Now the feral/wild animals out there, rarely come down to road level, but they have to find food, so they come down to road level. Ive seen some wierd things out there, mainly the mansfield/jamieson/ kevington area. And the cats or what ever they are, get BIG!

It would take balls to get out of the car at night lookin for the thing though hahaa

cheers scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #65
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Christ that heading got me going, lol.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #66
cowboy
Cowboy

I shot a feral one night that was about 3 and a half feet from tip of tail to tip of nose (no tape measure at the time but went from my hip to the ground and I'm 6'7''). Could easily be mistaken at a distance for a bigger cat species.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #67
Booka
OzECruisers FTW

There is 3 of the big in anike/ballan area Ive seen two of them and my dads seen all three, ive shot at one(big mistake) i hit it ( with a .22) and it stoped dead and looked then off it went faster than i could reload the bigger gun, and ran over the hill with its mate in under 1-2 minutes, mind you it takes over 3 minutes to drive from the base of the hill to the top, Id say they were at the smalest 6 foot long

EB II GLi, AU 4lt and auto conversion :evil3: , 17" mags, Tub's on the way, Sound system, Tinted windows, Lowered.
Booka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #68
fmc351
let it burn

I swear the fish was this big...
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #69
BFYOOT

apparently there is a massive panther about to be released in the Penrith area. its just over 6foot, weighs over 100kg, and i think its scientific name is Petro Civineceva. Used to keep it in the brisbane area, but no longer wanted...........
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post