Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #31
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

ok better put my input into the this i have always been a fan of kneeboarding and wakeboarding,( got a $1000 fibreglass obrein trick board in the spare room) however i am now in perth so dont get to use it.
however used to live in adelaide and we went up the river almost every 2nd weekend, with boat is not power you want to look at it torque you need a fair amount of torque to pull the skier out the water,
the main boat i remember my parent having back in the late 80's was a Blue Camero Legend series 2 was an inboard but not sure what size motor
then few years back my mum and step dad brought a Flightcraft cant remember the name of the boat but was a small boat with a holden 202 red motor in and it was still able to get we on the kneeboard up to bou 50km/h
what i can suggest, from what i have heard is to avoid boats with chev 350 in mate went though like 3 of them before upgrading to a 450 keep breaking the push rods if possible though look for something with a 302 or 351 in as they are better designed for boat use

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #32
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having water skiied for many years and winning many state championships as well as placing at the national level, I would strongly recomend going for a smaller than average boat with a six cyclinder motor. The best boat that I have ever socially skiied behind was a wooden boat with a direct drive Holden 186. It ran on the smell of an oily rag and it produced the best wash that I have ever come across. It was ideal for slaloming and for launching off. We used to ski three people behind it all of the time, so I don't buy into the need for torque too much. If an adult can't get out of the water behind a six cylinder they just have terrible technique. As a little tacker I recall seeing a good dozen skiiers ski behind boats, simply by doing staged jump starts.

With all of the newish six cylinder engines on the market, it shouldn't be too difficult to install Ford I6 of Holden V6 that makes more power and torque than the old 186 did and gets better fuel economy as well.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #33
ms700
Big Member

Malibu make some simply gorgeous boats, but you will need quite a bit of coin to afford one. Lewis' are nice too, so are Skicraft.

I just bought myself a new Bayliner 185 bow rider, got the upgraded Mercruiser V6 carby, good for skiing, tubing, also good for cruising the harbour too. Doesnt weigh that much either, and runs all weekend on one tank of juice.

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

The thread is near on three years old guys.....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #35
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
The thread is near on three years old guys.....
And..........?
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #36
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

And I'd say the OP doesn't need advice on a boat he has probably already bought three years ago.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post