Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Default Opinions on Focus Zetec needed please.

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what you all think of the Focus Zetec. With the price of fuel now, I'm tossing up between putting our '03 BA Fairmont Ghia on gas or perhaps getting my wife to drive a '06 Focus Zetec auto. The down size in room wouldn't bother me as we have another BA if we need to carry anything big. I read on the Ford site that they average about 8lt/100. Is this optomistic or accurate? Also how do they go? We haven't owned a 4 cylinder car for a few years now ( last one was a manual also ) My wife is by no means a fast driver, but I think she would get annoyed if they were really slow. One more thing, they seem to have a lot of stuff in them for the price, is the stereo mp3 compatable and do they need anything done to them to make them any better?
Thanks,
Greg.

GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED XR8
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what you all think of the Focus Zetec. With the price of fuel now, I'm tossing up between putting our '03 BA Fairmont Ghia on gas or perhaps getting my wife to drive a '06 Focus Zetec auto. The down size in room wouldn't bother me as we have another BA if we need to carry anything big. I read on the Ford site that they average about 8lt/100. Is this optomistic or accurate? Also how do they go? We haven't owned a 4 cylinder car for a few years now ( last one was a manual also ) My wife is by no means a fast driver, but I think she would get annoyed if they were really slow. One more thing, they seem to have a lot of stuff in them for the price, is the stereo mp3 compatable and do they need anything done to them to make them any better?
Thanks,
Greg.
If you are used to 6 cylinders a 4 cylinder will not be the same in power unless you have a turbo attached. Like most 4 cylinders, the auto will take away power but not buy much. The auto goes pretty well in a 2.0L Focus, not a rocket, but enough power to get you out of trouble. The Fuel comsumpion is actually lower at 7.1L/100km but 8 would be about right for a mixture of driving. The stereo is not mp3 compatible but there is an AUX input. They do have pretty much everything except DSC but this is now available on the new LT model. an 06 will be an LS. If your wife is driving it just for a run a bout I wouldn't bother modding it. They are a good package though, you would be happy with one, just make sure you check the paint work, it can be a bit dodgy sometimes. Black is the worst! Hope that helps a bit.
Old 29-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
BrisVegas
Noobie

I've had mine for just over a year and 27,000 kms. Very happy so far. Mine's a manual though. We were going to get an LX auto as it's mainly my wife who drives it, but she preferred the "sportier" feel of the Zetec and manual combo in the end. Neither the manual or the auto are particularly fast, but the manual at least allows you to keep it spinning along.

Plenty of room and nice enough interior. The hatch boot is quite large too (definitely bigger than a VW Golf and Mazda 3). I've averaged low-7's for fuel economy over the year.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Rhubarb

I've had an 07 Zetec manual for about 8 months / 18000 kms now. I'm averaging 7.8 l/100 kms so would expect around 9 for auto. Personally, I don't mind autos in more powerful cars, ie commodore / falcon etc, but much prefer manuals in smaller 4 cyl cars.

Obviously everyone is different, so its hard to speak for you or your wife. However my wife loves to drive my focus. She drives a Territory but finds the focus is zippier, handles better, easier to park etc. No problems even when we load up 2 adults and 3 kids, although you do notice the weight of a full load more than you do in the territory.

The boot space is pretty good too - you may even find its more practical than the Fairmont due to height in the hatch rather than boot. eg I recently carried a wheelie bin in it which I don't think would've gone in a sedan boot. I had to drop the rear seats of course.

They also have a safe feel about them ie the doors close with a solid "thunk" rather than a tinny "clink" if that makes sense. They feel very solid on the road. The handling is the well documented feature of the car.

As always, Test drive both an auto and manual and make your own mind up though. I doubt you'll be dissappointed though.

Good luck.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife complains of the firm suspension on our 06 Zetec manual. She is very reluctant to take it on long trips. However I drive it every day and downsized from an AU Farmont. I now use half the fuel and get twicw the driving pleasure.

yep it puts the F U back in fun...
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
WASP
Whipple Induced

Greg, are you looking to by a current new model, or just the current shape used (LS model onwards)? I bought my wife a new LS Focus Zetec in 2005 and it doesn't really differ too much than the current one. We have a manual but after driving the auto found it to be the better option for the type of city driving it does. Economy was a little more than factory claimed (around 9lts/100km) around town and down to 7lt for longer trips which for the solid build of the car was quite good IMO. Power is adequate but not amazing. It actually has quite a bit of go in the mid range and I find it a little flat down low (not really 'zippy' like most smaller cars are). Where the performance comes to life is in the twisties (hills). It handles like its on rails in this environment and pulls reasonably hard out of the corners in a manual anyway. It’s a beautifully smooth ride overall but the Zetec’s 17" tyres can be a little noisy.

The interior is nice but go the leather if you can as the fabric cloth doesn't feel or look that nice in my opinion. There's a huge boot (hatch) so you won't have any issues there but there's no where to put anything like sun glasses, CD's etc besides the deep dark black hole they call a glove box. While neat and nice inside the interior is somewhat bland in comparison to some of the other offerings on the market for similar money. The single CD unit has a good sound but is ridiculously under specked for a $27k sports variant of the model. Build quality overall after owning it for a few years now I would describe as ‘very good’ and it has been quite reliable after a few 'dealer issues where sorted out.

Overall if I was to buy one now I would go the XR5 (if manual is ok), or the Ghia with the leather and 17” Zetec wheel option. Much better value for money in my opinion. The diesel Focus would be my next choice for the 6 cylinder like torque you get for Zetec money ( I think).

Colville

Last edited by WASP; 29-01-2008 at 11:54 PM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Mick K.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Greg.
Buy a 4 cylinder car if you want one - and the Focus is a good choice in the category - but if you are buying to save money on fuel, given the difference in consumption you'll have to drive quite a few kms to break even for the cost of buying and selling, the potentially higher servicing costs for Focus (European parts vs taxi parts etc), and the depreciation of your Ghia which is only realised when you sell it.

I have a BA Fairmont 4.0 and a LR Focus Zetec 2.0 manual. I average about 8.5l / 100 kms in the Focus and 13 l / 100 kms in the Fairmont. If you're looking at an auto Focus, you'll need to factor in a difference of only about 3l / 100 km. If petrol is at $1.50 / l, you'd save $450 on petrol in 10,000kms. My LR Focus needs 95 RON fuel - not sure if the more recent ones do - so that would more than wipe out the difference and probably makes the Focus more expensive to run.

The main fuel economy difference you'll find is in short suburban stop start motoring. On the highway at constant cruising speeds you'll find the difference between the Fairmont and the Focus negligable. So if it is for a lot of short trips in traffic, you'll notice more of a saving.

I think the Focus has a bigger boot than the BA, so you don't need to worry about downsizing from a load carrying capacity either.

Good luck.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Greg, are you looking to by a current new model, or just the current shape used (LS model onwards)? I bought my wife a new LS Focus Zetec in 2005 and it doesn't really differ too much than the current one. We have a manual but after driving the auto found it to be the better option for the type of city driving it does. Economy was a little more than factory claimed (around 9lts/100km) around town and down to 7lt for longer trips which for the solid build of the car was quite good IMO. Power is adequate but not amazing. It actually has quite a bit of go in the mid range and I find it a little flat down low (not really 'zippy' like most smaller cars are). Where the performance comes to life is in the twisties (hills). It handles like its on rails in this environment and pulls reasonably hard out of the corners in a manual anyway. It’s a beautifully smooth ride overall but the Zetec’s 17" tyres can be a little noisy.

The interior is nice but go the leather if you can as the fabric cloth doesn't feel or look that nice in my opinion. There's a huge boot (hatch) so you won't have any issues there but there's no where to put anything like sun glasses, CD's etc besides the deep dark black hole they call a glove box. While neat and nice inside the interior is somewhat bland in comparison to some of the other offerings on the market for similar money. The single CD unit has a good sound but is ridiculously under specked for a $27k sports variant of the model. Build quality overall after owning it for a few years now I would describe as ‘very good’ and it has been quite reliable after a few 'dealer issues where sorted out.

Overall if I was to buy one now I would go the XR5 (if manual is ok), or the Ghia with the leather and 17” Zetec wheel option. Much better value for money in my opinion. The diesel Focus would be my next choice for the 6 cylinder like torque you get for Zetec money ( I think).

Colville
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I do a lot of mixed driving in my Manual LS Zetec and my fuel consumption is about 8.6-7L/100KM
(8.8 If im being spirited )
Old 02-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA

Colville

Colville,

I thought that we would be looking at perhaps a second hand one, auto as I said, but Tash has said that if we were to get another "small car" she would want a manual. I took her down to the local dealer today and she quite liked the brand new ones. Then we went across the road to Toyota and she sat in a Corolla, she seemed to like that a bit better. Mind you we haven't driven either of them so I suppose we can't really make an accurate assesment of either of them at this stage.
As I said in my earlier post, the other option is to LPG the Ghia. I am going to do a bit more research into this option to see if it's worthwhile. This would definately be the cheapest outlay option for sure, but I'm hearing different reports from people about kms per tank. Don't know what would be the best way to go.
By the way Colville, the "Wasp" looks absolutly fantastic in the current Performance Ford mag!!!
Thanks again,
Greg.
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #10
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Colville,

I thought that we would be looking at perhaps a second hand one, auto as I said, but Tash has said that if we were to get another "small car" she would want a manual. I took her down to the local dealer today and she quite liked the brand new ones. Then we went across the road to Toyota and she sat in a Corolla, she seemed to like that a bit better. Mind you we haven't driven either of them so I suppose we can't really make an accurate assesment of either of them at this stage.
As I said in my earlier post, the other option is to LPG the Ghia. I am going to do a bit more research into this option to see if it's worthwhile. This would definately be the cheapest outlay option for sure, but I'm hearing different reports from people about kms per tank. Don't know what would be the best way to go.
By the way Colville, the "Wasp" looks absolutly fantastic in the current Performance Ford mag!!!
Thanks again,
Greg.
Your welcome Greg and thank you for the kind words regarding the Wasp.
I personally haven't sat in a new Corolla but I hear they are quite nice. You might want to consider a new Honda Civic to while you are test driving new cars. They are not as handsome as the Focus IMO but I have heard excellent reports on them and you get quite good bang for your buck. The LPG option is tempting as well. The only thing that would put me off is being a few years old (approx 5) your Ghia may experience more frequent 'maintenance issues' in the not to distant future. By spending further on it with an LPG conversion you will feel obliged to upkeep it regardless. Really depends on what the priority is doesn't it. Money or convenience. Whichever way you go good luck with it all!

Colville