Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

Default ebay scammers

i just got an email this morning, from what looked to be from ebay. It was a question from someone asking if i had sent a laptop i had sold apparantly. it included a link to the page where it was listed which is where they would steal passwords etc. It all looked like the real deal, so just warning people about these sneaky buggers.

Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Get em all the time.

The best thing to do when you get them is log into your ebay account (NOT through a link in the same email) and whatever message you get in your email account should also be in your ebay mail account.

(Same with Facebook / Myspace / Hi5 / and any other online service that uses their own internal mail system to communicate with users)

Some email's look pretty legit hey! But when they start mentioning stuff you havn't sold / bought on ebay the alarm bells start to ring.

There is a spam department in ebay you can actually fwd your message to btw.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 24-01-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Ford_V8

Yep, it's too easy to become complacent and get caught out. Everytime you log in make sure the URL starts with signin.ebay.com. If you are not sure, just type in some bogus characters into the password field, if you progress to the next stage as if it has been a successful log in then it is a scam.
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I got 3 emails this morning claiming to be from Westpac, asking me to 'verify your account details or risk suspension' etc. You really only need to take 5 seconds to verify whether it's legitimate or not, most people with half a brain should be able to work out when something is a scam. Then again, a lot of people don't have half a brain ;p
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to see this You Tube of a Judge Judy Episode where she dealt with an EBAY scammer in her way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDK6ctRjqw

The story is the plaintiff bought mobile phones off the defendant, but received pictures of the phones only after paying some good money for them.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Bundwah
Living the Life in Cranny

Yeah I got them all the time as well.

Got one from some guy in America threatening to pay me a visit sometime soon as I hadn't sent the item he payed for. It looked legit, but wasn't in my messages in my ebay account.