Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XR5 Cruise kit

Hello.

Anyone here had an aftermarket cruise kit fitted to their XR5? Just wanting to know if anyones done it.

Old 30-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Are they available even? I haven't heard, but check www.fordxr5turbo.com to see if the enthusiasts over there have found one.
Old 13-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey,

Just digging up an old question. I can't seem to get an answer on this! Does anyone know if you can fit cruise aftermarket? This is something that is stopping me buying an XR5. I know its only cruise, but I want it, I need it. Any XR5 owners out there got cruise?
Old 13-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Don't think so, haven't heard of one. Wouldn't stop me at any rate, too good a car
Old 13-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres a vacume system that we have had installed on a few XR5's. Was developed specifically for the car! Cant remember the name of the place off hand but its in Dandenong VIC, If anyone wants to find out! PM me to remind me and i'll look it up tomorrow!

Cheers
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Details are

Expert Installs in Hallam Victoria 1300 727774

System is a bit slow being vacume and stalk mounted, so only really good for freeway use, not recommeded for around town driving.

We have been paying $700 odd, for a system that usually cost a $300-400 on any other car! So you do get ripped a bit! But it is the only one....
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isnt Cruise Standard on the current model??????I thought it was introduced at the model changeover...

I did think i read somewhere about it? Maybe they were talking about Mondeo... ?
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
xrsix40

Thumbs up Cruise

Try Auscruise

http://www.autron.com.au/newweb/index1024.htm
xrsix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Isnt Cruise Standard on the current model??????I thought it was introduced at the model changeover...

I did think i read somewhere about it? Maybe they were talking about Mondeo... ?
Nope, that's Mondeo.
Old 15-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoonfan
Details are

Expert Installs in Hallam Victoria 1300 727774

System is a bit slow being vacume and stalk mounted, so only really good for freeway use, not recommeded for around town driving.

We have been paying $700 odd, for a system that usually cost a $300-400 on any other car! So you do get ripped a bit! But it is the only one....
thanks phoofan!

good to know there is at least something out there. $700 is ok, but it should be standard. all of its competitors have it as standard.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
dane33
Starter Motor

Does anyone know why it's not standard? Pretty crappy for a $36 000 car in 2008
dane33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 01:04 AM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

This argument was done to death years ago (literally) when the car was launched. Ford Europe unfortunately didn't design it into the car to begin with because it uses a different ECU to the rest of the Focus range and the nature of the vehicle in Europe meant that it's a niche performance hatch, often a second car for people in the UK (the car's biggest market by far). Europeans don't seem to fuss much about cruise control because unlike here you don't get life with no parole for doing 62 in a 60 zone. It was thus never designed and calibrated into the new ECU on the Volvo motor. And yes, the S40 T5 has cruise control and no, it's not compatible.

What changes in Australia is that obviously for us it's a given with our long distances and people expect it, Falcons have it, everything has it. It's a very different market here and a performance hatch still needs to have the features a large car does because you pay a lot more money for a specced up top of the line hatch, when you can buy cheaper aussie cars with the feature standard. In the end it wasn't a box they could tick out here since it was never developed in the first place for the car so Australia couldn't order it. I'd imagine it was too expensive to develop for such a small run of cars just for Australia.

VW Golf GTi has cruise which means it's not like europeans don't ever do it, possibly justified because of the US market for the car however. I'd suggest that if the GTi hadn't been sent to the USA, it wouldn't have had as much chance of having cruise either. Remember the european focus is exclusively European, save for a few small markets in South Africa, NZ and Australia - hence Australia is possibly the only market demanding it.

Here's hoping the next model has it whenever that may be. It's a stunning car and despite this omission, I have enjoyed many highway km's in one and it is a small price to pay for an otherwise excellent car. In a perfect world I'd love it, but in out not so perfect world, I'd still take one over a Golf GTi for its looks, charisma, sound and for the fact that it's NOT a Golf GTi. GTi's are too common now.

Interesting to note that the Focus ST outselfs the Golf GTi 2 to 1 in Europe, so hopefully this supports what I'm saying and proves at least that different markets have different desires and expectations.
Old 18-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
TheColonel

Well the new mondeo xr5 has it so they have got it working on that engine now, i'd say there is a fair chance the new focus xr will have it when they start hitting shores in march/april...
Old 18-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
Well the new mondeo xr5 has it so they have got it working on that engine now, i'd say there is a fair chance the new focus xr will have it when they start hitting shores in march/april...
i dare say that the ECU is different. and as you know (and already stated) that there hasnt been a release from DS yet for the Mondeo. SO in itself it should be assumed that the ECU's on the engine are completely different.

Theoretically you can get Cruise to work on any engine. its only the Engines Computer that you have to worry about. i daresay that is was never an issue of getting it to work on the engine itself, but as zetec said it was the fact that it probably wasnt desired enough to be programmed into the ECU.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
as photn confirms, it's not the engine, it's the ECU. Volvo S40 T5 has the exact same engine and power output and has cruise control fitted. It's just the ECU wasn't calibrated for it on the Focus.