Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
focused83
Starter Motor

Unhappy surging 02 zetec

Hi,
I have an 02 focus zetec that has been surging on hard acceleration and when accelerating out of low revs from any gear, and is more evident when the car is hot than cold. Driving like a grandma the car is ok, but i do not have any power to take off when i need to or overtake vehicles etc like i should.

A private mechanic replaced the spark plugs which fixed the problem for a few weeks. When the problem started up again I went to Geraldton Ford (WA) hoping their diagnostic equipment would be able to find the real source of the problem. On each of my 4 visits back to Geraldton Ford they have cleaned the throttle body, gaped the spark plugs (at this time were only a few months old and already burnt out), replaced the fuel filter which they found the ford mechanic (now dismissed) had not previously replaced on the 60,000km service, replaced the battery and added solution to the fuel tank to absorb any moisture. The problem was still evident. I then took the car to Rockingham Holden (WA) who claimed it was the coil pack needed replacing (they also said the spark plugs and cables are fine and the diagnostics are not pointing to anything in particular to be wrong with the car). This also fixed the problem for a few kms, however when the car warmed up the surging has started to return. A friend suggested that the injectors may be dirty but the vehicle has only ever had 98 or 95 octane fuel. Has anyone had a surging problem like this? Any suggestions?

focused83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
amlohac

I used to have an 02 focus, one of the first lot built, i had ALOT of trouble with surging and lack of power, turns out it was the transmission... TWICE. The first was replaced at 30,000kms which is totally insane. I never drove the car hard i babied it from the start of its life.

Then the second one went at about 90,000kms which was conveniently "just out of warranty" despite the fact it took ford 4 months to diagnose the problem which would have left it well within the warranty period.

Assuming you have an auto, your problem sounds very very similar to mine, right down to the paths that your mechanics are taking to rectify the problem. The problem is the internal computer doesnt give an error to show that the transmission is stuffed so they poke round blind until your transmission totally shits itself (mine died at falls creek in 40cm of fresh snow... not fun).

Maybe suggest they check the trannie out, it cant hurt, and they may be able to get to the problem before it becomes a $3500 problem.

Hope that helps a bit
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
TuMor
its not a!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
I used to have an 02 focus, one of the first lot built, i had ALOT of trouble with surging and lack of power, turns out it was the transmission... TWICE. The first was replaced at 30,000kms which is totally insane. I never drove the car hard i babied it from the start of its life.

Then the second one went at about 90,000kms which was conveniently "just out of warranty" despite the fact it took ford 4 months to diagnose the problem which would have left it well within the warranty period.

Assuming you have an auto, your problem sounds very very similar to mine, right down to the paths that your mechanics are taking to rectify the problem. The problem is the internal computer doesnt give an error to show that the transmission is stuffed so they poke round blind until your transmission totally shits itself (mine died at falls creek in 40cm of fresh snow... not fun).

Maybe suggest they check the trannie out, it cant hurt, and they may be able to get to the problem before it becomes a $3500 problem.

Hope that helps a bit
Her car is a manual. :/

(my sister)

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

A rough shot, but get them to check the catalytic converter. They are a weak point and often go on the Focus in Australia after about 3-4 years, and can cause erratic response.

Would have thought the diagnostic equipment would have picked it up, but who knows? Worth a shot
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they were platium plugs in there they should already be gapped to right spec. They shouldn't be regapped.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
focused83
Starter Motor

Thankyou very much for the response,

It is a manual, and it does seem like Ford are trying to delay diagnosing a major problem until the warranty runs out (i will never purchase an extended warranty again!!)

Platinum plugs were supposed to be put in, but Holden found that the guy had only put in 2 platinum plugs and 2 cheepies (at $25 each), so they were burnt out after a few thousand kms? Swine!

Cheers, I will get them to check out the catalytic converter

also should i have checked out the mass air flow meter or distributor?
focused83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Must admit, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the MAF or coil pack
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post