Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-12-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
lowboy
Starter Motor

Default late Model Zetec cluster

Hello everyone.

Am currently in the market for an 06 on Focus Zetec.

There are a couple of things im not overly fussed of with them but they are only minor things. Such as the ugly stereo unit in them but i can live with that.

What id like to know/see is the instrument cluster lit up at night if someone can post a pic that would be great! Are all the instrument lights the terrible green colour like in the Base falcons are are they blue/white to add a bit of class?

Also what is the general consensus of this model? I have read both pages and it seems as they are a pretty decent car!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

lowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
GSR
Focus LT

Not sure about the zetec but I just recently got a LT CL and yeah its got the plain green instrument illumination with the red needles on the guages, it is quite plain.
The car drives really well though and I suppose the zetec will be even better.
Very responsive and tight, bit noisy though inside especially on rougher roads but so far I love mine.
No complaints so far, but havnt hit 1000k yet.
I think someone with a few more k's will givwe a better impression.
GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
BlackLS
yum

From why I know LS and LTs have green CL to Zetec. I think the XR5 gets white. Not too sure on the Ghia.

I did this to mine though:

More on the project here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=57064

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
lowboy
Starter Motor

Thanks for the feedback GSR and BlackLS. I think i will definately get one early january then.

BlackLS that looks great! Is it fairly straight simple to change? Are they all concealed and hard to change or its a mater of removing the current bulb/LED and replacing it with what ever one you prefer? I think the blue looks great and ford really proved that through the XR range!
Old 17-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowboy
Thanks for the feedback GSR and BlackLS. I think i will definately get one early january then.

BlackLS that looks great! Is it fairly straight simple to change? Are they all concealed and hard to change or its a mater of removing the current bulb/LED and replacing it with what ever one you prefer? I think the blue looks great and ford really proved that through the XR range!
The actual soldering is pretty time consuming even if you have the skills. Then theres the pulling apart the car and putting it back together.

Old 17-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
lowboy
Starter Motor

Pulling apart and putting back together is not a problem for me as i am a tradesman motor trimmer so i do it on a daily basis. The soldering i should be ok with as i do alot of it..

Thanks mate!

What did you need to do it all?

That is if i still buy one after reading all the faults with them!
Old 17-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Adjustable temp soldering station with fine tip (I wouldn't try using a $10 style iron)
Anti-static mat and wristband
PLCC2 LEDs (the square ones with a white body)
Some 3mm regular style LEDs (10-20 of these)
Radio removal keys
A whole range of screw drivers (jeweller size to big mofos)
.5-1mm Solder (i used a general purpose flux)
Electronics contact cleaner (or Isopropanol)
Optional - GPS system with current speed (to recalibrate speedo, you could just use the digital readout from the dash)

Old 17-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
zetec1 2005
Starter Motor

Ive got a Zetec,2005 model.Have had it since early this year.
Great little car.Its built like little tank-very solid.
Its fuel efficient.
Its handling is A1.
I think they look quite good.
They handle long distance trips with ease (I drove it over from WA to Sydney then to Gold coast and regularly communte between Gold coast and Sydney).
I would say the engine is strong and solid.Overtaking is no problem.They just dont rev out too freely though.Mazda got variable valve timing on theirs,bloody Ford,not-it would have helped.Some guys are mod'ing these engines though Im not sure how much difference it makes,especially on the auto's.
There is a little cabin noise.A lot of it is attributed to the NCT 5 tires though.Im thinking about a little more insulation in it.But its no big deal.You cruise around in these cars and you can feel just how solid they are and how strong the chassis is.
I got rid of the factory sound system.Got a nice Sony unit in it now.Big difference in sound and looks.Needed a plate to fill in the gap-got this at JB-Hi-Fi for about $50 from memory.
Get a manual.I got the auto and I regret it a little.
zetec1 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec1 2005
They just dont rev out too freely though.
I don't find this the case. In some spirited driving I'm constantly on the limiter and the engine works so sweetly up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec1 2005
Mazda got variable valve timing on theirs,bloody Ford,not-it would have helped
Mazda only have VCT on the SP23 2.3L models I think.

Old 18-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #10
lowboy
Starter Motor

Oh By the way BlackLS..

I just had a read through your thread on the instrument cluster. The offer you made to do the blue lights is still standing right? Would be alot easier for someone who has done it before do it then me having a fresh go.. newcastle isnt that far away!
Old 18-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
BlackLS
yum

Over to pm ;)

Old 18-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
zetec1 2005
Starter Motor

Black LS...
Ive gotta drive it in sequential to really get it to rev out.
I dont think they have tooooo much up top of the rev range,but they are very strong early on.
I used to have a Ford Telstar,93 with Mazda's V6.Also auto,but no sequential.Man,could that thing rev!!
zetec1 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post