Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Should I do it? Opinions please.

Hey guys, I'm looking at trading in the XR8 (don't tell the AUFalcon.com guys) and getting an XR5T since I noticed that I can get a ex-demo or real low k one for around the 35k mark. I just want to know what they are like to live with everyday, fuel consumption and how they stack up compared to the Mazda3 MPS. I do a bit of highway driving and I do enjoy going around corners more than going in a straight line. Anything I'd need to look out for if I do go for one and any other advice that you guys would see relevant is appreciated.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Hey guys, I'm looking at trading in the XR8 (don't tell the AUFalcon.com guys) and getting an XR5T since I noticed that I can get a ex-demo or real low k one for around the 35k mark. I just want to know what they are like to live with everyday, fuel consumption and how they stack up compared to the Mazda3 MPS. I do a bit of highway driving and I do enjoy going around corners more than going in a straight line. Anything I'd need to look out for if I do go for one and any other advice that you guys would see relevant is appreciated.
There is no massive difference between LS and LT. So don't worry about that too much. LS should be the cheaper one to look at. Coming out of an XR8 you will be happy with what noises the XR5T makes. Easy to drive, fuel will be much better then your 8, the only downside with your highway diving is no cruise on an XR5T, and I don't even know if you can get someone to fit it aftermarket. MPS I have never had a drive of. Apparently they have too much power!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
There is no massive difference between LS and LT. So don't worry about that too much. LS should be the cheaper one to look at. Coming out of an XR8 you will be happy with what noises the XR5T makes. Easy to drive, fuel will be much better then your 8, the only downside with your highway diving is no cruise on an XR5T, and I don't even know if you can get someone to fit it aftermarket. MPS I have never had a drive of. Apparently they have too much power!
I've heard the same about the MPS, apparently torque steer is a big issue and that is exactly what I hate the most about front drivers. Any idea on what I should pay for a new or ex demo and what are they worth used.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are a good choice. I have some issues with mine which I hope they finaly sort out, with that aside, I think they are a great car. The sounds inside the car is very nice. You'll miss your V8 note, but the XR5T has its own special note. Not ricey, very grunty.

Take one for a test drive and see what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

XR5Turbo forums are a great source for info.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
They are a good choice. I have some issues with mine which I hope they finaly sort out, with that aside, I think they are a great car. The sounds inside the car is very nice. You'll miss your V8 note, but the XR5T has its own special note. Not ricey, very grunty.

Take one for a test drive and see what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

XR5Turbo forums are a great source for info.
Bucky could you please post a couple of pics of yours for me or point me to where you have a couple. My short list is down to your blue, the sea? grey and black.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've heard the same about the MPS, apparently torque steer is a big issue and that is exactly what I hate the most about front drivers. Any idea on what I should pay for a new or ex demo and what are they worth used.
You were right around 33-35k. Electric orange is a $1800 new, so be prepared to spend a bit more on that colour. the only other option was the recaro leather, which will make it a 4 seater too. but that leather is nice and comes with heated seats.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
You were right around 33-35k. Electric orange is a $1800 new, so be prepared to spend a bit more on that colour. the only other option was the recaro leather, which will make it a 4 seater too. but that leather is nice and comes with heated seats.
There's a black one for sale atm with the recaro leather for 34.5k Got a car bra and QIKXR5 plates. Might go have a look at that one.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not the best, but might give you an idea

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's a black one for sale atm with the recaro leather for 34.5k Got a car bra and QIKXR5 plates. Might go have a look at that one.
I have seen that vehicle you are talking about. it looks very tidy indeed. black is nice as well.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

BLACK FOR THE WIN!!!!

DOO ITTT>>>> YOU KNOW YOU WANT TOO!!!!!

seriously.. just do it.. youll enjoy it more than the falcon

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
BLACK FOR THE WIN!!!!

DOO ITTT>>>> YOU KNOW YOU WANT TOO!!!!!

seriously.. just do it.. youll enjoy it more than the falcon
I'm off to see my local Ford dealer on Monday to get a test drive, won't buy from them because they are bastards and steal my $$$ whenever I need something so this will be a nice piece of payback. If I buy new Rex Gorrell in Geelong will most likely get my business.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Double post
Old 11-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #13
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your car looks fantastic Bucky, that colour is the pick of the bunch. Do you have any interior pics? One thing I think is a must is the leather Recaros, they look fantastic and are also very comfortable.

I downsized from an AU S2 XR8 to the TDCI focus, you really do miss the power and sound of the 8 but the smaller car has some benefits, you can park anywhere you want, the turning circle is magnificient. The xr5 is just that bit better again when it comes to the interior, I have not regretted my choice for a second and dont believe you will either.

Oh one more thing, I give you 3 weeks before the mod bug will bite and you will be looking for performance increases lol thats how long it took me.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

The MPS3 is okay. Every single one I've driven has been a wheelspin machine though. I wouldn't hand over my $39,990 + on-roads for one. XR5 over MPS3 for sure.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #15
smee323
Yes it is mine...

I could not see a problem with the MPS. Did a number of laps around Mallala and had no wheel spin, or torque steer and that was with the foot buried in the tight corners.
One of my employers drove one to a top 10 finish in Targa this year with only cage, tyres and suspension as mods. The boot on the XR5 does seem very small. Looks smaller than the ST's.
To me the quality of some of the XR's fittings seemed a bit plastic. The feel of the wheel was the worst.

The real sleeper is the MPS6. A real sports tourer. The thing pulls in every gear and just wants more.
Getting back into the ST170, really had me wanting for the RS turbo version of the Focus.

And Black, you will be forever cleaning and worrying about swirl marks, scrapes and stone damage. I had a Black Mica XT Forester for 3 years. Man was it hard to keep clean.... After 5 minutes it was dusty as. Better off with a silver or nice blue like above.

Just my opinions. A 5 - 10 minute test drive, really does not do either of them justice. See if you can coerce your way into letting you have one for half a day. If they want the sale, they should let you.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post