Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Crazy sex laws

I'm all for protecting young kids from sex predators but this is crazy .
I mean he was 17 and she was 15.

A man who was jailed for two years over an oral sex act committed when he was 17 has said he feels no "negative energy" towards the prosecution.

Genarlow Wilson, now 21, was last week freed from a prison in the southern US state of Georgia after serving a fifth of the original ten-year sentence for aggravated child molestation.

The conviction stemmed from an incident at a 2003 New Year's Eve party when the 17-year-old Wilson — an honours student and homecoming king — had oral sex with a 15-year-old girl.

State law required he serve a mandatory 10-year prison sentence for the crime and be added to the registry of sex offenders.

The law has since been amended to downgrade the offence to a misdemeanour, but it was not made retroactive, which meant Wilson would be forced to serve out the remainder of his sentence.

But the state Supreme Court recently reviewed the case and voted 4-3 for Wilson to be released, ruling the sentence constituted "cruel and unusual punishment".

Now Wilson has spoken of his ordeal and reaffirmed his decision not to strike a plea deal with prosecutors, which may have reduced his time in jail.

He said the prospect of being listed as a sex offender would have hung over him for the rest of his life.

"(The deal) might've been lesser time, but then again, I would have nowhere to go because I would have no home," Wilson told CNN.

"I wouldn't be able to stay with my mother because I have a little sister. When you're a sex offender you can't be around kids.

"Basically, I can't even have kids myself, you know, so what is the point of life?"

Wilson said he regarded the sentence as ridiculous, but spared his wrath from the prosecutors who were merely "doing their job and felt they were carrying out the law."

He said he now plans to pick up the pieces of his life by going to university and leading a more "conservative" life.

Wilson will apply to study sociology — "because I feel like I've been living my major".

Old 02-11-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

lol@ Jailbait

thread closed in 5, 4, 3, 2....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure this has been circulating US forums for a while now - from memory this is the southern US (Georgia) the guy is black and there is race issues involved (so its claimed).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
lol@ Jailbait

thread closed in 5, 4, 3, 2....
Hmmm wow 8.15 am and this thread is still active.

Anyone want to give odds on it lasting till 10 am?
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Hmmm wow 8.15 am and this thread is still active.

Anyone want to give odds on it lasting till 10 am?
It should blow over by then.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

crazy yanks. they're all for invading contries and killing people, but get your ding dong out and they lock you up
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 year sentance for 17 and 15!?!?!

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well it's cracked 10 am and it still hasnt died down or been shut down

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Yes, this IS a Yank story, but...

A similar issue was discussed in on the computer bulletin boards at my work (a large organisaton which has a lot of dealings with green LandRovers, fast jet planes and big grey ships!). A lady used to work for an arm of the Government Department which deals with pensions for single mothers. She had a mother visit and apply for additions to her existing pension because she's just had another baby. AT THE SAME TIME, her daughter, aged 13, was in the same office applying for the single mothers' pension! The 13 year old knew to the dollar what she should receive.

I asked the lady (who left the Department shortly thereafter and came to work with my organisation) if DOCS had an obligation to search for the father of the baby as the mother was obviously under the age of consent when the deed occurred. The powers that be are under no obligation to search for or prosecute unless the girl makes a complaint. NOT the parents, but the girl!

Society is going downhill.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
Ringo
I see you....

Hmm glad I didn't bet with anyone...I think I would have lost....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
87xfdriver

Geez! My first "kiss" should be in jail too she was 15- I was 13- I was pretty proud of myself at the time though!
87xfdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only in America. I've been with my missus since i was 17 and she was 15. Nearly 10 years now.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

You can shoot and kill a human in Australia and only a fraction of that.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post