Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Any tips for auto removal and refit?

hey all
about to remove my gearbox and fit another one
is there any handy dandy tips and tricks people have??

ALSO whats the going price on a shop to remove and fit said boxes?

ill be using stands(quite probably 2 sets) and ramps etc on a perfectly flat concrete driveway etc

thanks guys

Old 29-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
I've had a quote of $280 including trans service and new oil.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
hey all
about to remove my gearbox and fit another one
is there any handy dandy tips and tricks people have??

ill be using stands(quite probably 2 sets) and ramps etc on a perfectly flat concrete driveway etc

thanks guys
To get at the top bolts undo the trans crossmember and attack them from underneath the car with a bunch of extension bars. Undo the top 4 first, then support the trans with a trolley jack and a piece of wood.
It is recommended you replace the bolts on the tailshaft at the diff. However some people say you can just locktite them.

Also I've heard you should replace the bolts that hold the torque convertor to the pressure plate but I'm not sure about that.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

When fitting trans back in ,make up 2 guide studs, (bell housing bolts with heads cut off. Helps you guide trans into motor and dowels.
Also make up a thin steel plate/strap and bolt onto one of the lower bellhousing threaded holes to hold the converter in place until you are ready to slip trans fully into position .Prevents it slipping out on the way up.

Make sure trans is right home to the motor before doing up the bolts.Don't pull it in on the bolts.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

BLackers you realize how heavy the BTR is full of oil? I"d just pay someone with a hoist and trans jack to do it for me :P
By the time you pay retail for the oil and a pump to put it in, the actual labour component that a shop would charge would be negible.

Last edited by Racecraft; 29-10-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
BLackers you realize how heavy the BTR is full of oil? I"d just pay someone with a hoist and trans jack to do it for me :P
By the time you pay retail for the oil and a pump to put it in, the actual labour component that a shop would charge would be negible.

I'm not for a second knocking the blokes who have the know how, confidence and gear to do this job yourself.

I personally wouldn't do it, the sheer size and weight, combined with no previous experience and no hoist would scare me off. $280 would be a small fee for such a job.

If you do give it a shot however, make sure you think each stage through carefully before commencing, get a look at a few workshop manuals and get a more skilled and knowledgable mate to help out. You've been given some good tips from blokes here which is also great.

All the best with it; let us know how you go.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

after watching my transmission being swapped there is no way i would ever think of doing it with out the use of a hoist and trans jack.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't do it they are back breakers without the right gear
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
xrfranjo
whats that noise

i made my own transmission/ gearbox trolly using a donated shopping trollie base and three wind up jacks welded to it... works a treat
xrfranjo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can do it yourself if you are adventurous. It'll be a lot easier with two people for the heavy lifting.
The biggest problem, as I see it, is getting the car high enough off the ground to fit the transmission and jack underneath the sills.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for all the help guys

the bonus of this new box is ... it has a dipstick fitted YAY

ive swapped a box before with my bro and huggiebear on here

to get the box under the car you just take off 1 front wheel and jack the car up heaps high.. then slide the box in via the wheel well

the tilting and extension bar trick sounds handy!! thanks twistedEL

i have the max ellery manual so thats no problem there

just you never know what could make it just that much easier

sureshift at virginia want $330(inc fluid) and southpine auto want $330 also (unsure if that includes fluid)

i beleive they do that and take the old box.. which isnt entirely good as i can probably get more for it on here due to it being slightly worked and shift kitted etc just needs looking at to find the wierd problem it has..

any more tips would be greatly appreciated