Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
Bi66uy

Default Dash Issues

Hi y'all.
My parents AU fairmont has developed a knocking noise, which to me seems to be coming from the dash, when the car is in idle. A mechanic who we spoke to said it may be the transmission solenoid, but we're sure that isn't the case. The car has done about 145,000kms, so we think that the trans would be fine. The car drives very well since bought.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Redback 2.5inch Exhaust
Wade 1636 Cam
K&N Filter
SS Air Induction Kit
Capa Eliminator Chip - Tuned by H.P.T
144.1kw
Bi66uy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
BOON250

mine does a similar thing although mine is more of a tick tick it sounds like a train going over train tracks Im guessing a/c flap motors trying to adjust themselves as it comes from center of dash only when the a/c is off....

perhaps there is a diagnostic reset similar to what you can do on EA/EL that we can try....

BOON250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Bi66uy

Cheers for the advice. I can tell my parents not to worry about it being anything to do with the trans.
Redback 2.5inch Exhaust
Wade 1636 Cam
K&N Filter
SS Air Induction Kit
Capa Eliminator Chip - Tuned by H.P.T
144.1kw
Bi66uy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
BillC

I had a similar thing in my ED falcon a few years ago. It turned out to be the fuel line that was attached to the fire wall in the engin bay. The tapping sound was the fuel pump pulsing and causing the fuel line to knock against the bracket that was supporting it up the fire wall. It was fixed with a cable tie. Have a look on the left hand side of the motor for the fuel line and with the engin running hold the line and see if it stops. I bet thats it.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOON250
mine does a similar thing although mine is more of a tick tick it sounds like a train going over train tracks Im guessing a/c flap motors trying to adjust themselves as it comes from center of dash only when the a/c is off....

perhaps there is a diagnostic reset similar to what you can do on EA/EL that we can try....
Run diagnostic mode on your climate control unit by pushing the button to the very left and the very right of the MDC (if that makes sense - basically the ones at either end). Hold them in together until the screen lights up every character, the unit will then cycle thru all its movements, if it completes them all it will turn off and go back to normal. If it finds a fault it will show up a code on the screen.