Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Glovebox Keys

When I bought my car back in March, it never came with any keys to lock the glovebox.

I never really bothered or thought much of it, but now I have my new iPod stereo I would like to be able to actually lock the glovebox with the iPod in it when I go shopping and stuff.

I've just got back from the dealer I bought the car from, I thought maybe that they could order a set of keys for it from Ford based on the VIN or another code somewhere to do with that particular car, apparently they can't.

The spare parts dept told me basically the only way to do it would be to pull the lock out of the glovebox, and get a key made to suit the lock.

So I'm asking you guys as sort of a last resort, is there any other way to get keys for it that you know of? Should I try another dealer? Or am I going to need to pull the lock out? If I have to I will pull the lock and get keys made, but just exploring any other options before I go doing that!

Thanks people

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
No Judge
That's Numberwang!!!

Just a thought, do you know any else (not just people on this forum) that has an AU. Try to see if their glovebox key opens it.

I can't imagine that too many glovebox key and lock combinations were made by Ford...

Can't hurt to try.

FAIRMONT GHIA: SO GOOD, THEY NAMED THEY NEW FALCON AFTER 'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6 ausome
Nah the roads to high, your car can never be to low lol
No Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Good thinking, I do know a couple of other friends from outside the forum with AU's.

Might ask them if I can try their key next time I see them.

Thanks!
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Judge
Just a thought, do you know any else (not just people on this forum) that has an AU. Try to see if their glovebox key opens it.

I can't imagine that too many glovebox key and lock combinations were made by Ford...

Can't hurt to try.
My thoughts exactly, failing that, contact FTG etc and get a new glovebox lid and the keys to suit, then just swap over. I reckon it'd work out cheaper than having a locksmith make a key to suit the one you have.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Excellent suggestion there too.

Thanks for those guys, I hadn't thought of either of them, glad I posted up!
Quote:
Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Making keys to these things are cheap $20 or less. Just whip it off and drop to a locky....easy.

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
whiskers
gone fishing

there is one other suggestion for you.

there should be a "key code" somewhere maybe in the owners hand book, if you take that code to a key cutter or to ford they might/should be able to get one either cut for you or
give you a new one. but if that doesn't work I would try your local wrecker
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

mine opens with any key :S ... but next time we meet up rick, we'll see if it works, and i'll get a copy made up for you at no cost and give it too you ;)

easy :P
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post