Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NEED HELP! ST170 Fog lamps problem

I am having trouble installing my ST170 foglamps to my LR Focus. I was wondering if anyone that has one can take 2 photos for me? 1 of the plug on the lamp itself and the other of the connection on the wiring loom because I my ones just don't clip on together. If anyone else has more info on it I would be very greatful because atm I am pulling my hair out. Thanks

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

HAHAHAH KARMA!

i thought they where just a simple plug and play?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Alright Adam, we can't have you going bald too young!!!!!!!!!

Here is a full "How to" from FFOC.co.uk

It talks about the need for an adaptor (so no you're not going mad), which it says you can get from Ford and includes a part number. I doubt whether Ford Oz have them.

If you can't get that, it would be off to the Auto Elec I'd suggest

Anywho, here goes (not sure if you can get in here if you're not a paid up member)

http://www.ffoc.co.uk/modules.php?na...ght=st170+fogs

If not, I've copied and pasted, but no pics

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:05 am Post subject: ST170 Foglight Fitting Guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will see a few revisions folks so bear with me while i whittle it into a finely honed tome and can we make it a sticky please mods? ta in advance

Introduction

ST170 Foglights are probably one of the best mods you can fit to your foci and can be pretty cheap top get a hold of but what do you need?

4346353 - Lamp housing/lense, O/S, 1off
4346356 - Lamp housing/lense, N/S, 1off
1211548 - The aluminium effect bezel/ring, 2off
1211506 - The grey plastic surround, O/S, 1off
1211505 - The grey plastic surround, N/S, 1off
1302615 - Adaptor wire from standard to ST fog connectors, 2off @ ?8.95

thanks to Cjwood555 (chris) for knocking this together! (the list that is not my sofa! )

bearing in mind that should you have the Pre-facelift focus getting this bits onto your car would be a bit of a task considering you would have to either cut the bumber to shreads or get a facelift bumper!

also consider that you may not already have the wiring in place to the fuseboxes and your light switch may need updating to one that includes fog lamp function (can someone please confirm this for me and provide any neccesary finis codes )

a word on safety
the work should never be carried out while the vehicles ignition is switched on, the car should be parked on a level with the handbrake on, and shouldnt be attempted while moving, in the dark, during high winds your home is at risk yada yada yada

Fitting
Step1 Bezels! you shouldnt need many tools at all! first of all you need to prize out the origional fog lamp bezels, theres not really any gracefull way to do it but take care and you might be able to rescue them and sell the parts on. if you can get your fingers into the slight gap at the bottom of the light pull it slighlt and work your way around the bezel tugging at it. if you dont have any patience then just rag it off once this is off both lights your really underway

unclip the bezel by starting from the bottom and then access the star-bit screw in the top left corner (for passenger side light, for drivers side just swap over!)

Step 2 unscrew
reffering to the picture above you will need a star bit screw driver (or torque i believe!) unscrew this BUT DONT LOOS THE SCREW! you will need it later (i lost one )

Step 3 removal

now you can carefully remove the old light dont just yank it as its still connected despit you removing a screw (and there is the wiring loom behind!)

the light is held in by a ball joint this is there to allow adjusting of the lights but for now its in the way! holding the foglight at the point next to the centre grilles pull it out and towards the wheels carefully and the ball should pop out nice and easy! you can see where it resided in the picture about the red loom

unplug the old loom from the back of the foglights bulb and its discconected!

step 4 breather
you deserve one! have a look in the big gap left! mucky is it clean it then if you like! make sure you dont loose the red loom you will need it soon!

if any parts of the bezel broke off during removal they are probably stationed in the little slits you can see in the picture. you can prod them out carefully with a blumt thin knife or similar object

Step 5 onto business
first you will need the new adapter wire this needs attatching onto the existing loom it simply clips on and its easy to see which end goes to which end you can refer to the photo here

the other end can be seen above my mucky finger this will attatch to the new foglights housing. clip them both on and your about halfway there now

Step 6 the foglight
now take a chance to look over the foglight which is actually made by hella (so spare parts just done have to come from ford i suppose) the rather mad apparatus attatched to it will keep it held into your cars bumper. the long arm protruding at an angle is what will secure it with a screw and its quite easy to make out the ball joint. you might want to take this opportnuity to see how to renew or upgrade the bulbs.

the cap at the back can be turned and pulled off but do it carefully as the wires for the bulb are contained inside as you can see!

when removing the bulb you only need to pull pout from the inside of the plastic cap, the blue wire (with spayed connector) the bulb can then be unclipped and extracted as you would a headlight bulb, re-installation in reverse order. Bear in mind if you uprgrade to high power bulbs 100w eg you run the risk of either blowing fuses melting the wires or connectors so you have been warned!

Step 7 Connect and test
now you can connect everything up and test if the lights are working OK take the end of the wiring loom and attach it to the protruding plug on the foglight.

for some reason the protrusions are different on both lights but dont worry it doesnt affect performance or fitment simply clip the loom onto the foglight, and then switch on your foglights to test the output!

All being well and good you should have lit the lights, if not check the bulb, and your fuses, and last but not least check to make sure your ignition was on

step 9 finishing touches

now we have the lights connected and in working order we can finish up the fitting, take the foglight and the wiring and feed the wiring back into the lamps recess, dont worry about the extra wire lenght it doesnt interfere with anything. once the wires are out of the way you need to insert the ball joint part of the lamp into the small hole for it you can see the joint and hole in the picture

once it is in the long arm extending away from the light should match up with the screw hole, take the origional screw and screw it back in nice and tight. at this point should you wish to alight the lights (not that it should be necessary) you can use the small screw below the light itself to alter the alighnment.

now seperatly take the plastic surround and silver bezel and click these two together, its a bit stubborn but it will go, you may want to use a flat headed screw driver or similar to jimmy the bezel into the surround. once you have them both together slot them into the orgional slits in the bumper and you are done!

it really is that simple just a few tools some spare time and dry weather preferably unlike splashing around in puddles like me

If you have any questions regarding the fitting or any problems your having feel free to drop me a PM or email, with regards to certain parts or other electric problems ill do my best to answer them but would reccomend another rellevant person or forum section

Enjoy folks and make sure you dont have them switched on unless its foggy

yeah right

Last edited by YorkshirePudding on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

Craig1377

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:40 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YorkshirePudding,

Hi can you tell me where I can get the 1302615 - Adaptor wire from standard to ST fog connectors, 2off @ ?8.95 from please.

Cheers

Please reply through pm.

craig

ash/

Location: Leeds Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:57 am Post subject:

Ford

Craig1377

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:38 am Post subject:

Hi do I need the adaptor though?
Can I not just plug the original wire to the st170 foglights?

ash/

Location: Leeds Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:32 am Post subject:

Yes you need it.

Otherwise, why would it exist?

The adaptor plugs into your existing wire at one end, and the st170 foglight at the other

Craig1377

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:06 am Post subject:

only asked as I did not know, no need to be like that!!!!!!

Planty
Devon & Cornwall Regional Coordinator

Location: Devon Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:22 am Post subject:

Fantastic write up - well done

bink

Location: Cas Vegas Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:36 pm Post subject:

A quick question. Is the foglight connector (From the car) the same on facelift and pre-facelift cars?

matt_woods

Location: Preston, Lancashire Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:43 am Post subject:

how much did all the parts come too from ford?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks so much steve your a lifesaver!

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 06-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well after my wait on the connectors I have finally installed my fog lamps.....my god what a pain in the bum it was. Since I didn't buy them brand new, there is corrosion inside the lamp itself. So had to sand it off to get a proper earth. Also I already had one in. That was the one that needed to be sanded. The amount of effort it took to take off the surround. I don't anyone will be stealing them anytime soon. Photos will be up soon after i wash my car

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

nice work on getting them installed, doesnt look easy, glad mine were factory hehe

hurry up with the pics though ;)
Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee settle down Chris. If you want to see them so bad go out and look at your ST I will take pic tomorrow after I wash the chariot.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Well done Adam. You'll appreciate them more because of the dramas of getting them in.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post