Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #31
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon
Nice, can't believe I didn't see this earlier! Welcome to the fray!!!

Not going to say anything about Haro, enough said already!

I used to race DH on a Trek Y-Glide Deluxe, at the time it was the bomb, now it is a bomb!!!! LOL I sold it a few years back after doing my back, told not to ride DH again!!!!! Picked up a DBR BSX Comp, nice DJ rig but no DH Bike! Got that as a compromise, could still go riding with the boys, just not as full on!

Anyway man I think you will really get a lot out of the MTB scene, keep watching Farkin too, good site! If you got cable keep your eye out for Chosen Line top show made by Glen Jacobs and the boys from Cairns!
Thanks mate.

Say what you want about Haro I don't mind, do you think they are bad too? Everyone on Farkin said my bike was good.

The really sucks about your back mate I know what its like to have your health hold you back from things but its great that you can still ride at some level. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Craig
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #32
Armageddon Designs
Automotive Graphic artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockel
Thanks mate.

Say what you want about Haro I don't mind, do you think they are bad too? Everyone on Farkin said my bike was good.

The really sucks about your back mate I know what its like to have your health hold you back from things but its great that you can still ride at some level. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Craig
I meant as in everyone has said they are now good bikes! When I raced a few guys had them, they didn't seem to mind them but allways had problems with them, from what I have heard they are putting out some top notch gear now!

I've just applied for another position at work, it pays more so if I get it I might treat myself to a full floater again!!!! :evil3:

This was the old beast, man I miss Full Floaters!!

: ARMAGEDDON DESIGNS - NEW SITE NOW ONLINE :

Last edited by Armageddon Designs; 15-08-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Armageddon Designs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #33
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Dont know much about Haro brand or MTB so cant comment on them, i ride a TREK pilot (road bike) and try to average at least 200kms a week, great stress relief cycling, hope you enjoy it
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #34
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I meant as in everyone has said they are now good bikes! When I raced a few guys had them, they didn't seem to mind them but allways had problems with them, from what I have heard they are putting out some top notch gear now!

I've just applied for another position at work, it pays more so if I get it I might treat myself to a full floater again!!!! :evil3:
Oh right sorry

Yeah they are pretty expensive, especially if you want one that is worthwhile from my understanding! Won't that mean you will go silly and hurt your back lol

EDIT: talking about the full floater.
Old 15-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #35
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATT2
Dont know much about Haro brand or MTB so cant comment on them, i ride a TREK pilot (road bike) and try to average at least 200kms a week, great stress relief cycling, hope you enjoy it
Wow that seems like a great effort to me! Well done your fitness and general wellbeing must be the better for it I bet. Yeah its great fun and definately is stress relief, more so than other sports/activities I think because there is so much freedom.

Thanks
Old 15-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #36
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just saw your bike WOW :sm_headba that thing looks crazy, have you got any better pics?

EDIT: the pic just got bigger for some reason...
Old 15-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #37
Armageddon Designs

Quote:
Oh right sorry

Yeah they are pretty expensive, especially if you want one that is worthwhile from my understanding! Won't that mean you will go silly and hurt your back lol

EDIT: talking about the full floater.
At the time they told me about my back I was 22, they wanted to fuse it! I'm now 28, learned to live with it and know what I can and can't do, I'm at the point where I don't care anymore!!! LOL

I actually think it would have been better off for me to stay on a Dually, a lot smoother, but then again the DJ Rig has got me back to riding smooth lines etc again. A few of the NQ boys ran hard tails for ages and started to do real well on them, they then got Duallies and just destroyed everyone, the key is smoothness!

Was in the middle of editing the post with the bigger pic... LOL!!

Old 15-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #38
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Quote:
Wow that seems like a great effort to me! Well done your fitness and general wellbeing must be the better for it I bet. Yeah its great fun and definately is stress relief, more so than other sports/activities I think because there is so much freedom.

Thanks
Great social side to it as well,and your right about the freedom
Old 15-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #39
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Quote:

Mate i hate to ask but how much? i paid $1400 for my TREK pilot and its at the cheap end of things, that looks very expensive
Old 15-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #40
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
At the time they told me about my back I was 22, they wanted to fuse it! I'm now 28, learned to live with it and know what I can and can't do, I'm at the point where I don't care anymore!!! LOL

I actually think it would have been better off for me to stay on a Dually, a lot smoother, but then again the DJ Rig has got me back to riding smooth lines etc again. A few of the NQ boys ran hard tails for ages and started to do real well on them, they then got Duallies and just destroyed everyone, the key is smoothness!

Was in the middle of editing the post with the bigger pic... LOL!!
Whoa that doesn't sound too flash, I think I know how you feel however what if you make it worse and then can't ride at all?!

Yeah I thought the duallie would be smoother too.
Old 15-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #41
Armageddon Designs

Quote:
Mate i hate to ask but how much? i paid $1400 for my TREK pilot and its at the cheap end of things, that looks very expensive
At the time I bought it, late 98, they where still top line gear, cost $6000, Lets just say I got it for a bit cheaper!!! Sold it for $2200.

Old 15-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #42
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Great social side to it as well,and your right about the freedom
Yes thats true too, I love criusing around with a mate/mates and then just being silly and competitive all of a sudden lol.
Old 15-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #43
webby_191189
low wagooon

BMX and MTB have great social aspects. I used to ride BMX and when i traveled you could just turn up to a park and people will come for a chat. I have a HARO Backtrail BMX and id strongly recommend Haro after owning my bike. Its had the thrashing of its life and the worst ive done is bend my cranks which is not much considering what its been through. Good luck with the bike it will serve you well

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #44
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
At the time I bought it, late 98, they where still top line gear, cost $6000, Lets just say I got it for a bit cheaper!!! Sold it for $2200.
Yeah I bet, ten years ago I don't even remember seeing duallies!

Was only 16 though and no one I knew could afford a good rig.
Old 15-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #45
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
BMX and MTB have great social aspects. I used to ride BMX and when i traveled you could just turn up to a park and people will come for a chat. I have a HARO Backtrail BMX and id strongly recommend Haro after owning my bike. Its had the thrashing of its life and the worst ive done is bend my cranks which is not much considering what its been through. Good luck with the bike it will serve you well
Thanks mate.

Don't think I made any friends today trying to get air and do crap tricks near my place and scaring all the old people out walking... must have looked funny a 26 yr old trying to do tricks by himself in the park lol
Old 15-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #46
Armageddon Designs

Quote:
Yeah I bet, ten years ago I don't even remember seeing duallies!

Was only 16 though and no one I knew could afford a good rig.
Yeah I was one of the first guys at work to have one! At the time the only thing above it was the Trek Team Issue, tried to get my hands on one but no go! LOL

As for my back, I have a buldging disc at L5 S1. So the risc of hurting it no is minimal, to much degeneration, but if I do get into it again it will be with full armour, besides I'm not 19-20 anymore!!! LOL!!!

The BMX guys are pretty good, they loved us up in Townsville, used to let us train with them on Wednesday nights and race on Friday nights, if we had enough show up! They liked the fact we didn't care and just went for it! Used to take each other out etc, good entertainment for them! It was as Compressors etc where just getting off the ground so was great for us!

Old 15-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #47
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Thanks mate.

Don't think I made any friends today trying to get air and do crap tricks near my place and scaring all the old people out walking... must have looked funny a 26 yr old trying to do tricks by himself in the park lol
Hahaha your never to old to start mate. Practice make perfect. Start will small air then get bigger then move on to tricks like candybars, can can, no handers ect.. All good fun when ya get the feel of your bike

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #48
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
Hahaha your never to old to start mate. Practice make perfect. Start will small air then get bigger then move on to tricks like candybars, can can, no handers ect.. All good fun when ya get the feel of your bike
Haha yeah I told myself I wouldn't get too carried away, that lasted until the second ride....lol
Old 16-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #49
ripd'n'curld
WHY TRY

Quote:
Hi mate,
I am pretty much riding it everywhere and I think thats some of the problem when you start getting into better bikes the more narrowly focused they seem to become, I love it but that could just because I don't know anything about bikes

Is it ok to just hose the forks with a really soft mist? (Thats how I hose the whole bike).

Thanks

Craig

yeah thats fine, just dont directly hose the seals,forcing the water in.
I went and bought a special type of brush, similar to a tooth brush but very skinny so that it would fit in between where the dust seal and the arch on the lowers is.
Try your local army disposal or gun shop and ask for a cleaning brush for a pistol or riffle, its all the same.

The only other thing is that you should not hose any moving parts as you'll be blowing out grease/lube etc, pretty self expanatory.

Farkin .net, what do I say ?. Well there is alot of info to be had on this forum, you can seriously pick up some real bargins in the for sale section (second hand bikes are cheap as chips these days)
I sold my rig last week for $3000 and the add was only up for a couple of days and I had people wanting it all round Aus, I did sell it cheap but it was gone straight away. I will add some pics, it was the creame. :

The only thing that annoys me with Farkin.net is that it is more populated with little kids with very little idea, knowledge etc etc and it shows.
there are still alot of mature people with knowledge on this site but I think as mentioned before, theres alot of spastics, to put it in a nice way.
dont believe everything you read and use the search function to get most of the time (real information), not what little jimmy thinks is the best part because its on his or his mate bike or it cost more or for some reason likes that brand , if you get my drift.
Old 16-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #50
ripd'n'curld
WHY TRY

My latest ride which I just sold, with two airbrushed rattle snakes.

...and yes I built the berm.

Road gap at Emu Plains

one of the clan taking a drop off, 14 foot high
Old 16-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #51
TZENU
XY Driv3r

If you are out near Pakenham, check out the Beaconsfield Tracks, where the scout hall is... They have all sorts of tracks eg. technical and beginner tracks... and some fun downhill tracks

Beware MTB is EXTREMELY addictive... i am obsessed...
Old 16-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #52
ripd'n'curld
WHY TRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
If you are out near Pakenham, check out the Beaconsfield Tracks, where the scout hall is... They have all sorts of tracks eg. technical and beginner tracks... and some fun downhill tracks

Yeah, extremely addictive.. but not as bad as the MOD bug.
Old 17-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #53
Armageddon Designs

Man you've had some nice rides ripd'n'curld! Makes mine look old school!!! LOL I don't know what it is but I'm always attracted to DH Rigs, they just have a look that I love I guess!

And your right about it being addictive, but not sure about it being more addivtive than the mod bug, cause you start modding your bikes to do more crazy stuff!! Well I know I did anyway!!! LOL

Old 19-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #54
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripd'n'curld
yeah thats fine, just dont directly hose the seals,forcing the water in.
I went and bought a special type of brush, similar to a tooth brush but very skinny so that it would fit in between where the dust seal and the arch on the lowers is.
Try your local army disposal or gun shop and ask for a cleaning brush for a pistol or riffle, its all the same.

The only other thing is that you should not hose any moving parts as you'll be blowing out grease/lube etc, pretty self expanatory.

Farkin .net, what do I say ?. Well there is alot of info to be had on this forum, you can seriously pick up some real bargins in the for sale section (second hand bikes are cheap as chips these days)
I sold my rig last week for $3000 and the add was only up for a couple of days and I had people wanting it all round Aus, I did sell it cheap but it was gone straight away. I will add some pics, it was the creame. :

The only thing that annoys me with Farkin.net is that it is more populated with little kids with very little idea, knowledge etc etc and it shows.
there are still alot of mature people with knowledge on this site but I think as mentioned before, theres alot of spastics, to put it in a nice way.
dont believe everything you read and use the search function to get most of the time (real information), not what little jimmy thinks is the best part because its on his or his mate bike or it cost more or for some reason likes that brand , if you get my drift.

Hi mate, thanks for all the advice! The toothbrush idea was great, works well.

By the way, your bikes are crazy! So is your track building/riding!!
I'm like a granny compared to you, I got excited when I got about a foot of air of a jump the other day! :togo:
Old 19-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #55
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU

Hi mate, I don't know where the scout hall is but I'm very interested! I tried to find it on the net but couldn't, is there any websites or anything that I could look up places to ride?

I will try pm you about the beconfield tracks.
Old 20-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #56
TZENU
XY Driv3r

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/confi...o?nref=homeMap

Try this link... Its off Beaconsfield-Emerald Rd... ... Heading towards emerald turn left into St. Georges rd and then its the first right into Harpfield road and you go to the end...

The scout hall is called the Dallas Brooks Park Camp in Upper Beacy...

EDIT: You might have to zoom in a little on the map to see the street names