Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-06-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why do fords blow head gaskets?

I know ford E series blow head gaskets like anything but what is the general reason for this?

Like if it was a radiator block that could happen to any car.

So why do E series blow head gaskets like crazy?

ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

from my knowlage, its because the block is Iron, and the head is Alloy. They expand at different rates and over time file away the gasket.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Tanksenda

ILLAVITAR
My EL blew a head gasket on a trip. I was sitting on 100 with even throttle when a great puff of smoke blew out of the exhaust and the engine started to missfire. To cut a long story short, when I got home I discovered a head stud had broken and on removal of the head, the gasket had blown right across the broken head stud hole and leaked water down the side of the engine block. I had the head machined and cracked tested by a local engine reco mob who also supplied me with new after market head studs. Apparentely, genuine head studs are crap and have a habit of breaking without any reason. That was three years ago and Ive had no trouble since.

Nikk O' lass
Just about every car on the road has Alloy heads and Iron blocks, but nothing blows head gaskets like an E series Falcon.
Tanksenda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

1. Keep the engine cool, and don't warm up to very hot, then cool down fast..

2. Keep your radiator serviced, and make sure your cooling system is in check..

3. Don't run the car lean, and don't let it ping
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
glenneaux

I thought one of the main contributors was the head studs stretching and snapping releasing pressure on the head?

I know when my head came off there was at least 1 broken bolt.
glenneaux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Another contributing factor was that very early on in the series life Ford decided it needed to change the head gasket so it blocked off two passages in the front of the head/bock to make the cooling system work more effectively. While this worked, it also means that the coolant is prone to work under the layers of non multilayer steel gaskets at these points eroding the gasket away near the blocked off passages. So use the AU multilayer steel gasket to avoid this.

Also once an aluminium head is overheated it also softens so that it develops head flutter with the torqued up head bolts working into the head at each end over time so that the ends of the Head can bounce or flutter on the block. That is why it is also important to do a hardness test before replacing the gasket; ACL make and sell a cheap go-no go hardness indicator you can use for this test. Head bolts with larger diameter tops also help a little but can't compensate for a softened head.

Lastly like many modern cars the top of the radiator is lower than the head so it very easy to get an air lock in the system if is not filled correctly and carefully or if there is a small leak elsewhere. Ford in there factory manual also says that these engine rely in part on thermosyphoning to keep the coolant moving (i.e. hot coolant rising cold coolant sinking) not a good idea in an engine that may already have a marginal cooling system.

Most EA and EB's also had a lot of casting sand left in the block which works its way into the bottom of the radiator blocking it and causing overheating and a blown head gasket (I got half a bucket of sand out of the NB block when I stripped it down for a rebuild and i had already had another 1/2 a bucket in various replaced radiators).

Lastly the on EAs. EBs and Eds the old fan clutches have habit of dying and the replacement fan clutch stockist transporters don't always store the new ones the right way up (and if it self service customers examine them and put them back on the shelf the wrong way up) so the ax doesn't partially drain out before you buy your replacement. A good reason to switch to EF thermo fans.
Old 24-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Another contributing factor was that very early on in the series life Ford decided it needed to change the head gasket so it blocked off two passages in the front of the head/bock to make the cooling system work more effectively. While this worked, it also means that the coolant is prone to work under the layers of non multilayer steel gaskets at these points eroding the gasket away near the blocked off passages. So use the AU multilayer steel gasket to avoid this.

Also once an aluminium head is overheated it also softens so that it develops head flutter with the torqued up head bolts working into the head at each end over time so that the ends of the Head can bounce or flutter on the block. That is why it is also important to do a hardness test before replacing the gasket; ACL make and sell a cheap go-no go hardness indicator you can use for this test. Head bolts with larger diameter tops also help a little but can't compensate for a softened head.

Lastly like many modern cars the top of the radiator is lower than the head so it very easy to get an air lock in the system if is not filled correctly and carefully or if there is a small leak elsewhere. Ford in there factory manual also says that these engine rely in part on thermosyphoning to keep the coolant moving (i.e. hot coolant rising cold coolant sinking) not a good idea in an engine that may already have a marginal cooling system.

Most EA and EB's also had a lot of casting sand left in the block which works its way into the bottom of the radiator blocking it and causing overheating and a blown head gasket (I got half a bucket of sand out of the NB block when I stripped it down for a rebuild and i had already had another 1/2 a bucket in various replaced radiators).

Lastly the on EAs. EBs and Eds the old fan clutches have habit of dying and the replacement fan clutch stockist transporters don't always store the new ones the right way up (and if it self service customers examine them and put them back on the shelf the wrong way up) so the ax doesn't partially drain out before you buy your replacement. A good reason to switch to EF thermo fans.
Great write up, thanks for that! :
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
... so the ax doesn't partially drain out before you buy your replacement. A good reason to switch to EF thermo..."
Oops "ax" was meant to be "wax".
Old 24-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are there any mods involved with fitting a AU head gasket to a ED motor or is it a straight fit?
Old 24-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Straight fit.
Old 24-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

E series are also fussy about thermostats and in my experience work best with a dual acting thermostat (also called a skirted, bypass and reverse poppet valve thermostat) complete with a air bleed hole and jiggle pin. This is what they came with from the factory.

See these links for some discussion on the pros and cons of skirted thermostats:

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/thermostat.htm
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Thermostats.htm
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/stag-cooling.shtml

Others claim to get better results with single acting thermostat and drilling bleed holes in those that have the half circle or v cut notch in the rim of the T stat valve plate (hole a closed normal T stat up to the light and you will see it) . I think a factory bleed hole with the jiggle pin fitted is better and dual acting ones work well provided they also have the bleed hole and jiggle pin. At the end of the day I think we can agree, whatever our view on the best thermostat, that E series engines are fussy about thermostats and having the air bled when filling with coolant (including bleeding air through the T stat).

I agree with the comment in the first link

Quote:
Non-Bypass Thermostat In A Bypass Application -
In this situation there is no secondary valve that will block off the
bypass port when the engine warms up (Figure 4). This will cause
hot coolant to continue to circulate through the engine without
going to the radiator. The engine will run hotter than required and
may cause a failure of other components in the cooling system.
Old 24-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could be a desighn fault by ford

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
sexr6tasy
Banned

Dont forget jesus also hates e-series so that contributes to some head gaskets blowing
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
floppy
HOODUNNIT.....!!

Are there any mods involved with fitting a AU head gasket to a EA motor or is it a straight fit?
floppy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppy
Are there any mods involved with fitting a AU head gasket to a EA motor or is it a straight fit?

straight fit.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
Gunns
Banned

Could be the fact that ever block from ea to au that I have worked with has never been square. I have seen up to 80 thou out front to rear left to right. The gasket will never seal evenly and it is only a matter of time before it gives in.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
3.9from hell
hoons cause global warmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
Could be the fact that ever block from ea to au that I have worked with has never been square. I have seen up to 80 thou out front to rear left to right. The gasket will never seal evenly and it is only a matter of time before it gives in.
coincidence! lol
3.9from hell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #18
joker4

aussiblue pritty much said most of it, also make sure that the air flow is also getting to the radiator, eg, crap build up between the radiator and condensor
and keep a eye on that temp gauge

68 MK2 cortina

01 susuki GSXR600
joker4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post