Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
tough_ea88
WTB cheap manual e-series

Talking rebuilding an engine??

hey guys, i am just wondering the cost involved in rebuilding an ea 3.9 mpfi engine myself, what would i need?? and wheres the best place to go to purchase the things i need, im 5 minutes from cranbourne victoria.. i want to rebuild it to standard. then work it from there as i have the cam allready.. its just a side project im thinkin about

thanks for the help guys

ben

tough_ea88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
frd_crzer
:D:D

there is a number of things u can do. What do u wwant to improve on performance etc
Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
steven95falc

Best bet to start with is pull it down and see what needs doing then clean everything and write a list of parts need for the rebuild.
From there get machining done and then clean everything again properly and put it back together.
Also while it is apart get some head work done and everything ballanced up the compression if you want to go that way.
steven95falc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
xrtonv
TICKFORD XR6

yer well id have to agree with that *** u would need to strip it down get it clean, presured and re balanced and take it from the lol dimi
Sound system:JVC head unit with AUX... 6 Inch in doors,rear with a Vnet 15inch & Infinity 12inch Subs In the Boot Running of a Coustic amp
The Mods: Pod Filter, exhaust......
Plans: Slam it on its ***, Sports exhaust( upgrade), Rims, Cam, CAI, Extractors +...
xrtonv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
webby_191189
low wagooon

Strip it, get a good new head gasket (AU s2), get all new bearings for pistons, cam, crank ect, do some headwork. ACL make rebuild kits which you would be able to order from repco or autobarn id say.

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
webby_191189
low wagooon

http://pro-stroke.com.au/shop/produc...products_id/72

Thats the link to a rebuild kit for an 3.9l EA just so you get an idea on prices and whats in it.
There also other parts here that could prove handy in the rebuild:http://pro-stroke.com.au/shop/index.php/cPath/29_39_139

Old 02-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
tough_ea88

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
http://pro-stroke.com.au/shop/produc...products_id/72

Thats the link to a rebuild kit for an 3.9l EA just so you get an idea on prices and whats in it.
There also other parts here that could prove handy in the rebuild:http://pro-stroke.com.au/shop/index.php/cPath/29_39_139

thanks heaps mate, will be very helpfull!! other than that kit what else do you think i would need?? and also does anyone know how to port and polish a head? if so could they please give me some instructions

ben
Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
webby_191189
low wagooon

i wouldn't do a head job on your own. Get professinal to do it for as if you stuff up you may need to replace it. That kit should have pretty much everything you need. You might need some liquid gasket just incase they dont have a couple gaskets like timing cover or thermostat.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
tough_ea88

gday mate, no im not selling my ea anymore, my old man has fled town, so i have taken over the garage:p lol and the ea is now my new project im not rushing anything on it, so far iv taken the engine out, modified the shifter to be very short but still comfortable, and am now slowly buying top of the line performance parts lol apprentice wages so i have to save lots, so yeh not selling sorry buddy thanks for your interest tho
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
LiL_Macka
("(O.o)") Fear the EL!!!

G'day guys, When you rebuild an engine to standard, you want to check all clearances, make sure everything is within the recommended amount of wear, you can do this with some flexigauge, all you need to do is get the all the types of flexigauge for the the bits and pieces, you mainly use it to check your bearings on your camshaft and crankshaft, measure liner wear with a micrometer, measure camshaft wear with a dial indicator, if the amount of wear is within the recommended amount don't replace it, the secret to building an engine is to keep everything as clean as possible, when you clean something like a head use thinners, so it leaves no dew on it like diesel or kero does, clean pistons and stuff with kero and wash the kero off with water, then blow it all away with compressed air, take note, don't wipe the bearings with your fingers or rags, if you have to be extremly careful, you can rub the special metals off and thats bad for them

Only rebuild what you have to, it saves you money, but it takes more time to measure the bits and pieces but in the long run it is well worth it

Regards Macka!
LiL_Macka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
kelaserbro
Dose'in around town...

prepsol would be a better cleaner then the above you have posted.
kelaserbro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
LiL_Macka
("(O.o)") Fear the EL!!!

Those cleaning products are what i use, they do a good job, its all personal preference.