Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ed Xr8

Hey people, I'm looking at buying an ED XR8 sedan this week, it's got 180k on the clock, completly stock untouched in and out. Is there anything I should look out for whith these cars, common faults or anything?

StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just the usual things like hoses and belts. They are a great car.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
bentles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Is there anything I should look out for whith these cars, common faults or anything?
yeh theres a major problem on these from factory.. its called an automatic transmission.
get a t5 if you can
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

If it's an auto, make sure the gear changes are smooth, and don't thump. Make sure the aircon and heater work properly.

+ I agree with bentles. Manual FTW

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Check to make sure the rubber damper isnt hanging out of the harmonic balancer and that the balancer itself hasn't spun.
Old 26-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Another MAJOR thing you need to look at, if theres anyleaks along side the engine, eg; white, greenish brownish stuff leaking on the side of the block, usually a sign of a cracked head or corroded head, and llook at the welsh plugs, if their rusty, then you'll be up aroound $800 - $1000 to fix it all, I made the mistake when buying my ed xr and having limmited knowledge
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Oh sorry, btw, also look on the internet for like "things to look out for" if you pm me, i have a whole list of things to look out for when buying a car, from gaps in the body work, rust, oil filter all that stuff, hope thishelps
- Ash
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
bentles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34
Another MAJOR thing you need to look at, if theres anyleaks along side the engine, eg; white, greenish brownish stuff leaking on the side of the block, usually a sign of a cracked head or corroded head, and llook at the welsh plugs, if their rusty, then you'll be up aroound $800 - $1000 to fix it all, I made the mistake when buying my ed xr and having limmited knowledge
welsh plugs are $2.50 each and get kev to do it

mine was just done by pat...
UNBAN PAT
Old 26-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentles
welsh plugs are $2.50 each and get kev to do it

mine was just done by pat...
UNBAN PAT
Welsch plugs on a V8 = Son of a *****. I6 = $50 DIY job.

Check the water pump/timing case for water leaks, as it is a weak spot on the engines... And as said, check the welsch plugs/side of block.

Check the coolant header tank for the colour of the water. It should be a nice green colour, not brown/sludgy.

Check the oil, make sure it's not black. It should be a nice dark caramel colour. And it should be roughly full (these engines are not known to use oil at 180,000km, but check anyway)

My EL XR8 had a busted heater core at 160,000km's, noticable by the coolant smell through the heater when it was on. So after taking the car for a drive, put the heater on full and make sure you can't smell any engine/coolant smells. It means bad problems later.

Jack the rear of the car up, and look at the diff. Make sure there's no leaks. If you can, jack one side of the back of the car up, so that one rear tyre is firmly on the ground, and the other is in the air. Use a tyre lever, and put it on one of the wheel nuts on the tyre in the air, and try to turn the wheel. It should take a fair amount of effort to turn the wheel because of the LSD. Actual amount is ~120NM torque required to turn one side of an LSD diff. But if you can do it really easily, the diff is probably shagged, which can be annoying/costly.

Other than that they are a bullet proof car. If it's an AUTO, it may have a dipstick near for the transmissin near the firewall. Check the fluid if you can, should be nice and red and not smell burnt. If it doesn't have a dip stick, make sure it shifts smoothly.

Good luck with it all
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
bentles
Banned

oh shoot didnt realise v8 my bad sorry
Old 28-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

With the V8 itself, you will find that it would have had much less work on it than that of the ED 4litre six, eg blown head gaskets, leaky timing chain cover, idle pulley etc. My ED V8 has had problems that are only specific to ED Falcons in general such as a major auto malfunction due to bodgy inhibitor switch. The engine itself is no heart starter but it is very reliable. Others have had issues with the MAF and and the EGR but really, you will end up spending a fortune on it when the performance bug bites because the whole top of the engine needs to come off and replaced to make it go like a proper V8 should.
Old 28-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

2 large problems they suffer from....
pulling the clutch cable thru the firewall check for cracks etc.
Clutch pedal pivot breaking away from the supporting pedal box bracket a real pain in the a$$ to get to and fix... ohhhh lastly the recirc blend door linkage has a tendancy to snap and stick on fresh otherwise a good car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its an auto, shifts nicely. no leaks, slight knock in the **** end but not consitstant and dosn't seem to be coming from the diff. My guess is needs some new bushes or something, but its in great nick otherwise. 100% stock, even has the factory cassette player
Old 30-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Inconsistenr knock in the rear? Do you mean as in random, or only happens at a particular speed or when turning a corner, or when accelerating, etc etc etc?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When going over bumps and what not. I'm prettey sure its just a bush or something simple by the sounds of it.
Old 30-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I think you're on the right track there.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #17
Sundeep
Banned

Most commonly, inconsistent knocks will be the exhaust hitting the diff or the like.

I've had 2 EB's and the main problems have been PINGING.

Make sure it doesn't ping.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post