Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Free347

Default Canberra recommedation - workshop/mechanic

Hi, my sister lives in Canberra and over the last few years she has repeatedly been ripped of royally for all manner of repair work. You wouldn't believe how much she has been stung for work that didn't need doing, should have been done for half the cost or was done dodgy. I only wish I lived there or she lived in Qld so I could take care of things for her.

She really is living on the edge finacially and has a heart of gold but unfortunately has a habit of being taken advantage of.

Can anyone strongly recommend a mechanic in Canberra who really knows their way around an EF I6 and who does an honest job for and honest price? Someone you would stake your reputation on. I'm not after a performance shop or high end workshop, just a good bloke who knows what their doing and charges a reasonable price.

Any local pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks

Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Falchoon

Nick @ Hume Mechanical Centre 3/ 36 Raws Crs Hume (02) 6260 2256. He knows his Fords, owns a 6cyl AU ute, but works on anything. Small workshop. Nick is the owner and sole worker. Usually pretty busy but if it is an emergency he will find the time to fix it. Doesn't overservice or overcharge but does a thorough job and doesn't cut corners. Explains things in plain English.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, I could only tell you who not to go near. Its a joke in Canberra. The amount of times I've had people try to rip me off.

e.g. the pedders store who attempted to do over $1000 worth of work when I called in about a ticking noise in the front end. Ended up being a dodgy recap.

e.g. the panel beater who tried to charge me $14,000 for a quick respray on a rust free dead straight XT.

e.g. the other shop who fitted a tailgate skin for me. They took a month and stuffed it up. They even grinded the corners off.

e.g. the mechanical workshop who charged me nearly $3000 for work on my XB. Work that I hadn't asked to be done.

e.g. a certain pedders store quoted me to lower my XR8, I called another a couple of suburbs over who quoted $200 less.

I could go on. I think I'll give Hume Mechanical a call myself. Canberra is full of dogs.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Falchoon

I've had bad experiences with Pedders myself. Their products are probably OK but their service is crap.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Free347

Thanks, Falchoon I'll pass Nick's details on.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Scott

5a Mechanical Repairs at 26 Geelong Street, FYSHWICK - Phone (02) 6280-6525

I used to use them some years ago for all our fleet servicing as we had I6 Fords. 5a do heaps, and heaps of work for the Taxi's in town and when I was using them they could speak volumes about what made an I6 tick. Also, McGuiness Motors in Fyshwick have treated me very well in the past including a full rebuild for the Pursuit.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
irsa76
Snoopping

Mitchell service center seem to be pretty good from what I've heard. I wouldn't touch AutoCo/Pedders, I belive they are run by the same guys here.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stationwagon
Mitchell service center seem to be pretty good from what I've heard. I wouldn't touch AutoCo/Pedders, I belive they are run by the same guys here.
Agreed, AutoCo is the one I would most avoid. That's based on more than one very bad first hand experience.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
5a Mechanical Repairs at 26 Geelong Street, FYSHWICK - Phone (02) 6280-6525

Also, McGuiness Motors in Fyshwick have treated me very well in the past including a full rebuild for the Pursuit.
They are good places too.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Ringo
I see you....

Dasfleet Auto Repairs ????

Do a lot of fleet stuff but that means that they are very busy and familiar with i6's
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post