Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Smartbar

Just picked up the Smartbar for my S2 wagon I won on Ebay and wondered if anyone else has a Smartbar on their car. If so, has it affected the cars steering and secondly have you actually hit a roo or other substantial wildlife with it; and if so, was there any structural damage behind the bar. I ask because I just got mounting instructions sent from the makers and it appears they bolt on as a straight swap for the original front bar using the existing mounting points.

Bushbasher

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

they go ok...that is your car is far more likely to be driveable after a strike.

your panels are far more protected. but a big hit will kill it.
Old 20-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hmmmm ... Dinner
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
james22
With da Warlords

ROFL, kangaroo sausage mmmmmm

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

LOL, that's an excellent pic there Orbit. I hope you were able to drive away from it once you pryed the steaks out of the grill. A couple of questions though, did it bend the mounting points on the front rail and more importantly, did it set off the airbags?
That pic shows a design weakness in the bar I rekon in that it needs a verticle or horizontal divider in that grill hole to stop a roo passing through it. Maybe you should send that pic to the makers so they can change the design a bit.

Cheers
Bushbasher
Old 21-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

tie me kangaroo down sport :wobbleboard:
Old 21-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I think thats Outbackjacks.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Like darran said i think it's outback jacks, it was the only pic i had handy.
But experience from similar strikes no the air bag didn't go off. Mounting points remained reasonabbly intact except on one occasion where it was a particularly large roo and it bent everything...though the car was just driveable, and wouldn't have been if the bar wasn't there.
the thing about the smart bars is all they do is insure your car is drivable after a "big" strike, greatly reduce damage on a small strike. But doing all this by maintaining the least aerodynamic impact possible. I agree with you about the middle riser needing to be there, i did send an email but like most things they have a mold that works and it costs to change it, further "it doesn't look as good"... :
Old 21-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

As an aside, these are the best $4 I ever spent to protect against roos, available at any Cheap As Chips store......

....and I think these type work much better than the single apperture post type as well plus they're low profile and don't look as dicky.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'll say they don't work but I can tell you from experience that they do. I drive a refrigerated truck and deliver milk to the Eyre Peninsula so am on the road at 4am 4 days a week and since I put 4 of these on the front of my truck I haven't hit anything in over 2 years. That's not to say you still don't have to be on your guard and drive defensively and take evasive action occasionally but before I put them on I used to hit roos at least once a week. Having said all that, our relief driver hit 7 roos in 4 trips while I was on holiday much to my amazement and disgust but I rekon he is either blind and stupid or was actually aiming at them to manage that so I think it comes down to the driver and driving style alot too.

Bushbasher
Old 21-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

they are really good until you go somewhere like where i live and everyone has them and the roos are desensitised to the frequency. but better to be safe then sorry.