Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

Default Diff Change

Hey Guys

I currently have a Au3 i6 Falcon sedan with the 3.08 Single Spinner and i am wanting to change it to a 3.45 LSD.

Questions are what is the best way to go about it i live in Geelong in Vic.

Theres a XR8 Diff Centre to suit independant rear on ebay 3.45 ratio for $400 appreanly with 1000ks on it. My question is how hard is it to install im quite handy with a set on spanners and me mates a 3rd year mechanic would we be able to do it or is there a lot of mucking around?? also will it fit considering my car is live axle??

My other options is get a brand new diff build up but thats worth $1650 with everything brand new.

Whats my best option will the xr8 last and work allright?

Thanks in advance

Jake

Hibbz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

any one Know??
Old 15-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
JoesAu

why not lsd your diff, and throw in new gears. My mate got his done in geelong for 800 i think, 411's lsd in Ef
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

it will be gears and lsd.

by the way who did hiz gears?? was its all new stuff?

Thanks for the reply
Old 15-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
why not lsd your diff, and throw in new gears. My mate got his done in geelong for 800 i think, 411's lsd in Ef
It's Mr_4.0 that had it done $800 was for the the 4.11's and the lsd rebuilt he got that done at Geelong Differential it's on Duro St Nth Geelong, give them a call see what the best options are.....

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:29 AM   #6
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

Thanks will call them tomorrow
Old 16-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
AU dude
Flying high...

Last edited by AU dude; 16-02-2007 at 06:11 AM.
AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
AU dude
Flying high...

:

Old 16-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #9
AU dude
Flying high...

accidental reposts.... sorry had a lagging computer and pressed the post button 2 many times...

Last edited by AU dude; 16-02-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 16-02-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
AU dude
Flying high...

Not to long ago I put a 3:45 lsd in my au, it was an xr live axle diff which I bought from the wreckers. It was just the housing and centre without axles. When I put it in I used my 3.08 axles because the have the same amount of splines, but I did come across a problem. The angle of the diff was pointing down too aggressively and was vibrating the tail shaft; I fixed this by changing the bolt points for the trailing arm from the body to the diff which angled it more up.

Getting used to the diff was quite fun. Speedo was out massively, if I was doing 115km/h on my dash I was really doing 100km/h, now if ur going 2 change to a 3:45 go to ford and buy the black Speedo gear with 23 teeth which cost around $14 (very important to remember) after I changed it, it was about 1km/h out. Rpm at 100km/h goes from 1750 to 2050. I have not noticed a difference in my fuel consumption but I have a heavy foot so I wouldn’t no lol. but if u do just cruise round its a lot better because of the higher ratio the car accelerates easier and u do need to put ur foot down as much when like over taking because your at a high rpm. And the one was clutch which engages at 80km/h in ecom mode for an auto move down to 70km/h.

1650 is a bit steep for a new diff but that’s what I got quoted when I was thinking of getting my lsd.

My opinion is to forget about the eBay lsd and go 2 a wrecks and buy yourself a live axle lsd with housing and centre if u have live axle set up now, reuse original axles and before u put it in get it rebuilt a tighter lsd, with new cones, springs, shims and bearings and you'll have a really good lsd. The reason for this is that when I put the lsd in it was a really tight diff, I could come into a corner, plant my foot and it would go to full lock one way then back the other way. Even doing dounts was easy, I could flick it round then just feather the accelerator, and I would go round 4-5times before I got dizzy. It was all fun and games till I got caught and got a 460 fine and 3 points but that’s another story.

Now the cones are worn out and sometimes it kick out others its will spin 1. Which I found is extremely dangerous! Especially in the wet. An lsd going from 1 to 2 then back is very uncontrollable.

I paid 600 for the diff with 80k on it and am getting a rebuild soon and I shopped around and was quoted about 500 max. So if u can get something around that price it is money well spent.

now I was told to remove the diff out from the housing you need to heat it up because the are a tight fit then once out u need a special brace so it doesn’t warp, but that’s what ive been told. I could give u the number of the wreckers from which I bought the diff from if u want?