Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Default Would You Pay To See Brock's Daytona?

A motoring enthusiast planning to put the car in which Peter Brock died on show in his museum says the racing legend would have approved of his plan.

Peter Champion, a coal-mining contractor and one-time navigator for Brock, is planning to rebuild the Daytona coupe and display it in the planned Champion Brock 05 Museum in Yeppoon, on the central Queensland coast.

Patrons could pay up to $15 to view the car Brock crashed into a tree at a rally in Perth in September, killing himself and injuring co-driver Mick Hone.

The plan to rebuild the shattered Daytona has provoked mixed reactions from loved ones and the racing fraternity, with Brock's former partner of 28 years Bev describing the would-be attraction as "macabre".

But Mr Champion said he had the blessing of the racing legend's close friends.

"Peter would've been wanting it to happen, that's my belief and (that of) close friends to Peter, because he never believed in destroying anything or getting rid of anything," Mr Champion told ABC Radio today.

"Peter had always intended that the little Daytona coupe would end up in the collection of cars that I have of his.

"I hadn't even thought of rebuilding the car but it was discussed among some of his closer personal friends and they asked me if I would be interested in displaying that car in my collection."

Mr Champion already has a large collection of Brock racing memorabilia, including about 30 original and replica cars, trophies, helmets and racing suits.

He said he was "surprised and hurt" at the reaction to his plan.

"People out there will take a view that what I'm doing is probably wrong," he said.

"I agonised over that decision after I was asked.

"I didn't even want the car to start with, and then ... it was put to me that parts of that car would be sold off all over the country and put in other people's cars.

"The last thing we would've wanted is people turning up and saying 'Well I've got Peter Brock's engine out of his last car, and I've got the wheels and I've got this and that'."

No pictures of the car in its damaged state would be put on display.

"Because we have a replica of his very first race car, which Peter and his son James built for me, it would be only fitting to have his last car and it will be displayed as it started that race in WA that morning," Mr Champion said.

Fellow racing ace Dick Johnson said while he did not see anything wrong with Mr Champion's plan, he did not think the museum would lure many visitors.

"Quite frankly, where the museum is, it's not going to attract too many people I don't think, and I don't think anyone's going to make a real special trip to go and have a look," Mr Johnson said.

XR Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would not pay to see the the car that Brock died in.

I would rather see the cars he lived in, such as his Torana and Commodores.

I would rather remember people for how they lived...not how they died.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

I agree.

Why look at his death and not his life?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

I would rather see the cars he lived in, such as his Torana and Commodores.
and the Sierra. Gotta put some balance into the equation.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

And the Volvo!
XR Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should have done a POLL. I already voted at the news site. And I voted NO!
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I wouldnt specifically "pay to see the car he died in".... but i wouldnt object to having it included in a display of Brock's history.

We remember people in life and in death - i see no problem with Champion's plan.

Lol, can always rely on DJ to say something abrasive on the matter cant we?? Grumpy old bugger!
Old 13-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I think this is wrong but if it were to go on display I don't think it should be restored. It should stay the way it was pulled off the tree, blood stains and all. I still wouldn't pay to see it though :nutsycuck
Old 13-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Definately NO...thats just plan old weird if you want to see it.

If your that desperate then google it FFS.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Scott

I don't think the car should be restored, I think it should stay as is - and not on show.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
majin_andrew

I would pay to see it, not necessarily because he died in it but because it was one of the cars he raced and the most recent car he raced.

I don't see anything wrong with it being restored and put on display - its just like all his other cars being displayed.
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

It all depends on how it is setup. If the museum entrance started with his entry to motorsport, and progressed through his career. Then finished with the Daytona respectfully displayed, then why not? There are many displays like this the world over, and can be put together tastefully and informatively. But if it is displayed as some sort of macabre money spinner, then forget it.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Wouldnt pay to see it, but I would pay to see it as part of a collection, but I wouldnt want it restored, but just the way it crashed, minus blood etc.
Old 13-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I wouldnt specifically "pay to see the car he died in".... but i wouldnt object to having it included in a display of Brock's history.

We remember people in life and in death - i see no problem with Champion's plan.

Lol, can always rely on DJ to say something abrasive on the matter cant we?? Grumpy old bugger!
I agree. Why shouldn't it be a peice to remember brock by. I would rather it be restored (wouldn't be able to look at it otherwise). I would not want to see it dismantled and sold off. It is a museum, filled with Brocks cars of which most i have seen when Champion had them in Blackwater. He idolises Brocks cars and i believe he was good friends with Brock. I now he and his freinds and family were just as devistated as anybody else when the news hit. Why not let him be remembered. I'm sure Brock wouldn't want all this who ha crap going on. It was one of brocks race cars, that will not change. It just happened to be the one it pushed a little to far and was unlucky in. He new the dangers and died doing something he loved and had a passion for. It is part of hiss amazing life and racing history.
Old 13-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura

I'm with you there...... I know that I wouldn't pay to see that specific car, but wouldn't turn my back in disgust if it was there restored with all the others..... I guess it's an each to their own- if it turns you off thendon't go..... I have been involved with several tarmac rallies and have seen the car, so maybe that's why I don't see the novelty in the kind of car that it is.... there is also another one still doing tarmac rallies - he did the Lake Mountain Tango on Australia Day weekend.

As for leaving it as is - they did that with James Dean's car when he died.... not well received at all and can say I wouldn't even go to see the car "as is".........Ewwwwwwww

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #16
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Some one on these forums crashes a car (although not fatal) and every wants to see pics, people post links to pics on the auction sites and everyone goes and has a look and comments on them, wondering how someone could have survived or not. So what's the difference other then you know a legend died in the car.

I would rather see the car as is un-restored (but cleaned up of all blood etc), then looking at the car restored, may as well just make a fibreglass replica for whats it worth otherwise.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #17
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know if Ayrton Senna's last car is on display? I know Ferrari keep old cars to display. Is this one of them? It would be tasteful if it was part of an exhibition with all his cars but it's a bit morbid if it's just the car by itself?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #18
angelfury
right

If the car belonged to a family member of mine and was to go on display, then I would think that the most disgusting piece of memorabilia ever displayed .....

Would you want to look at it if it belonged to someone really close to your heart? Would you want others to gawp?
angelfury is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #19
Jamesbondage

i agree totally...........its a little morbid for me
Jamesbondage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #20
351man
Starter Motor

I don't see anything wrong with it, it would be displayed as a car he raced, not the car he died in; that is why they would be restoring it. It would be just like displaying any other car he raced.
351man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #21
majin_andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfury
If the car belonged to a family member of mine and was to go on display, then I would think that the most disgusting piece of memorabilia ever displayed .....

Would you want to look at it if it belonged to someone really close to your heart? Would you want others to gawp?
I dont claim to know how Brock or his family would view this matter, but from a personal view, if I was to die in a motor racing accident and someone wanted to spend a lot of time and money restoring the car as a final tribute to my legacy, I would like to think that myself and my family would be honoured by this act. If it was my relative who had died in the car I would rather see the car restored to its original glory, because keeping the car unrestored would be glorifying the accident, as opposed to glorifying the success that had been achieved in the car.

The fact that brock died in the car should become a background fact about the car, instead of its main attraction.
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #22
XAGSV8
Member 178

I would pay to see it considering I only live 50kms away from where it is proposed. It would be good for tourism in this area. As for the car PB passed away in I say restore it to its former glory but never drive it in anger again as Peter should be the last person to do that.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #23
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351man
I don't see anything wrong with it, it would be displayed as a car he raced, not the car he died in; that is why they would be restoring it. It would be just like displaying any other car he raced.
i 100% agree with this...

the way its being talked about in the media is as though its going to be placed on display all mangled, which is simply not the case.......

it'll be fully rebuilt, and displayed just as another car that he raced
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #24
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Id pay to see it all smashed up, wouldnt bother seeing it restored
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #25
Scruba
15+ Years!

Both ways for me......even restored, he died in it. However it is another car he raced in.

I wouldn't pay to see it though out of respect.

Work in progress

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7roViz57bb2Stkzx6
Scruba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #26
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

i would definently like too see this car restored and put - tastefully- on display, for a number of reasons- 1 it was a Brock racecar and is part of his story,
2 how often do you see a daytona coupe?
3 i would hate to have parts turn up on e-bay or similar.

i often drive past trees or intersections where people i know have crashed and some have died, and i always makes you slow down and realise just how fragile we humans can be, if having a legends car on display makes one young hero slow down on the way home and avoid a crash, then it's all worthwile, and i'm sure Brocky would agree

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #27
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule
....i often drive past trees or intersections where people i know have crashed and some have died....
The local council removed the tree brocky hit to stop it becoming a shrine and drawing tourists out into the forest along dangerous roads.
Old 14-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #28
james22
With da Warlords

I agree, should have been a poll. But no, I wouldn't pay to see it. I want to remember the legend he was, not the way he died, even though it was something he loved. What are the thoughts of his family on this?

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #29
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have just released a talking Steve Irwin Doll. All that family seems concerned with is making as much money as possible from Steve's legend.

http://www.australiazoo.com.au/cart/prod660.htm
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #30
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Rob
Would You Pay To See Brock's Daytona?
Nope.