Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #31
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know the site of a computer place in Dandenong (melb) I think? And they let you custom build you're own PC online with a quote.. Used to use it when I was big into computers and gaming etc.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #32
Kryton

is it this one?
http://www.umart.com.au/
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #33
xrobx
Slammin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
AWESOME information! exactly what i was looking for. if i remember in 5 months time, i will ask you again for your advice on what i should be looking at.
as the system sits above, would all that come in at $2000 or less right now?
Nope. That'd probably exceed the $2000 mark, though depends on where you look.

Quote:
put simply you need a fast monitor with a very fast refresh rate, look for the 2ms ones, you will need it
LCD's don't use refresh rate. They use response time, and there is no known LCD that has a 2ms response time.

Anything below 8 should do you fine. CRT's are also useless antiques. It's all LCD, much better display, etc.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #34
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob-xr6
Nope. That'd probably exceed the $2000 mark, though depends on where you look.
just built the system (as close as i could) on one of the links provided and it came in at $3700 without a power supply.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #35
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
is it this one?
Nah, unfortunantly =/

It was for a shop that's in melb (dandenong) that had their own website.. I always try and find it, but can't remember the link.. lol

I should probably bookmark it next time.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #36
cool65
carefactor zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Does anyone know the site of a computer place in Dandenong (melb) I think? And they let you custom build you're own PC online with a quote.. Used to use it when I was big into computers and gaming etc.
Emaxx has just moved into new premises in Dandenong from Doveton
03 9791 6991.
Huey is a top little fella & his prices are sharp as he is importing direct from o/s & does not have the huge overheads the main road sellers have
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #37
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres the core of the system that would pretty much play anything at full graphics, well from what ive been told about the core 2 duo's

all prices are from umart to give you a rough price, and everything is the exact same as what i would go for... so as some prices might suggest they are some of the BEST quality items but its up to you,

Pioneer DVR-111DBK 16X DVD-/+R/RW Dual Layer(OEM Black)(no software) $45.00
(any brand will do the job but pioneer seems to last longer)

Antec P180B Performance One ATX MidiTower(no PSU) $219.00
(antec and lian-li are the best quality ive seen so far, the prices are actually cheaper than i would have thought)

Seagate SATAII NCQ 250GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache $115.00
(its cheaper to go 2x 250gb HDD than 1 500 and its better as well, ONLY buy seagate you'll thank me later)

Intel ATX E6700 CORE 2 DUO /2.67GHz/4MB CACHE/1066FSB/LGA775 $738.00
(the best cheapest Core 2 cpu otherwise $449 for a 2.4ghz or $1k+ for 2.8ghz?)

DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC5300 667Mhz Kingmax $289.00
(thats some cheap fast ram, kingmax aint too bad either, they do make better stuff but expect double the price)

Asus VW192T Blk 19inch wide, 5MS, VGA+DVI, Tilt, Speakers $285.00
(7 day ZBD or dead pixel warranty on most models, otheriwse 12mnths on the upper models, we have this screen at work and ITS BLOODY BEAUTIFUL)

Powersupply Antec ATX TruePower 650W TRio $185.00
(this is the thing that will make or break the computer, cheap ones dont put out enough power, and some brands may as well be cheap, antec in the truepower range is one of the best ive ever used and will continue to use...dont go cheap in this area)

Asus P5N32-E SLI 775 QuadCore nF680i-SLI 2xPCIEx16 SLIx16 RAID FW 2xLA $339.00
(obviously i only go ASUS in motherboards no other works for me, quadcore also supports the core2duo, but allows for an upgrade later on)

XFX GeForce 7950GT 512meg DDR3 Dual DVI TVO PCI-E(570Mhz)Extreme $445.00
(nice card, specs are AWESOME for price, hasnt faulted a game yet...i get it cheaper HAHA)

TOTAL $2660
mix and match but this is a rough price on mostly top of the line parts, or expensive quality parts

my advice in simple form, cheap might seem better but it comes back to bite you HARD, ive spent around 7-8k in the last 4-5 years and ive learnt the hard way

also apparently if you go Intel Core2 you never go AMD again!

enjoy

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #38
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AWESOME information! exactly what i was looking for. if i remember in 5 months time, i will ask you again for your advice on what i should be looking at.
as the system sits above, would all that come in at $2000 or less right now?

Intel E6600 CORE 2 DUO /2.4GHz Processor $449.00

Asus P5B-Deluxe Motherboard $283.00

DDR2 Twin2X 2048MB XMS2-6400 Corsair RAM $409.00

Antec SLK1650 ATX MiniTower Case 350W Beige $100.00

Seagate SATAII NCQ 320GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache $139.00

Liteon 16xDVD ±R/RW with software Double Layer $44.00

Samsung/Alps 1.44 FDD $15.00

Powersupply Antec Neo Highly Efficient 2.2 550W $185.00

LG 910B 19 inch CRT Flat Monitor Beige $230.00

Albatron GeForce 8800GTX PCI Express Video $889.00

TOTAL $2,743.00

All priced from Umart today

Bear in mind that the single most expensive item is the 8800GTX video card, they are fairly new and as such currently you will pay a premium for them, same goes for the Core2 Processor...........all up about $750 over your budget ("if you were buying today")

You of course are talking about purchasing in about 5 months time..........by then there will be more DirectX10 video cards out on the market and the 8800 series cards will be much cheaper, again same goes for the Core2 range.

In 5 months time I would be very surprised if that list did not come in at under or very close to the $2000 budget you specified.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #39
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob-xr6
LCD's don't use refresh rate. They use response time, and there is no known LCD that has a 2ms response time.

Anything below 8 should do you fine. CRT's are also useless antiques. It's all LCD, much better display, etc.
"Refresh Rate" is still a relative term used within the industry, whether it be Hertz as in CRT or Milliseconds as in LCD, the ability of the output device (ie: the monitor) to display the image projected in as clear and concise output as possible is loosely termed "the refresh rate", you will indeed hear of people referring directly to the "response time" of LCD displays, correct...........but they are generally sales staff or people who haven't been around in the industry for very long.

I believe "davway" originally stated that he would require the new rig for gaming and as such the CRT or "useless antique" as you so eloquantly put it, will outperform any LCD on the market for clear image output in that fast framerate environment........period!!

If he had stated he wanted to do internet browsing, office work etc and little or no gaming I too would possibly be pointing him towards an LCD.

If "davway" indeed has his heart set on an LCD for gaming, he will need a fast "refresh/response" monitor..........2ms LCD's are now "readily available" and are indeed the recommended device for gaming activities.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #40
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
just built the system (as close as i could) on one of the links provided and it came in at $3700 without a power supply.
You have to shop around for your hardware, some PC parts suppliers are "off the planet" when it comes to their pricing.

I find Umart or MSY fairly reasonable, you can get stuff even cheaper still but you have to shop around.

Umart......... http://www.umart.com.au/
MSY.......... http://www.msy.com.au/

Again I can only recommend you "listen" to those who actually know what they are talking about...........there are lots of "Weekend Warrior PC Tech Wannabe's" out there.

Do a lot of research over the net on hardware, read reviews etc, and take your time, hardware is only getting better and cheaper as the months roll by.

heres a few good places to start........

http://www.tomshardware.com/

http://www.anandtech.com/

http://www.xtremesystems.com/
Old 02-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #41
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Nah, unfortunantly =/

It was for a shop that's in melb (dandenong) that had their own website.. I always try and find it, but can't remember the link.. lol

I should probably bookmark it next time.
try http://www.cworld.com.au/. Think that might be the one you're after

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #42
cupic
Nikon

www.excelcomputers.com.au
2x250gb HDD
19" lcd
geforce 7600GT Graphics
Window Vista ready
Core 2 Duo E6300 processor
1gb ram or try
www.ticomputers.com.au
www.pc-express.com.au
really Dell dont have everything
all of the above are vista ready as quoted on PC User
cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #43
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
try http://www.cworld.com.au/. Think that might be the one you're after
That's the one, cheers.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #44
StookEB

When 2 core Duo first came out we built a top of the range computer with everyting that has been said and it ended up being $2600 with some being labour as well because he needed it customised. Prices change every week though and it becomes painfull.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #45
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some small parts of advice, get the best video card you can afford, and the most hard drive/ram you can afford. Then fit the rest of the system in around your budget, by the time you get to July, the entire market will change, what is $2500 now will be about $1500 in July, if it is still available. Cpu's while performance can differ, are much of a muchness... unless you are after lots higher than 100fps in games. I have a Viewsonic VX922 and i have not yet experienced it ghosting, which is the worst thing that can happen with LCD versus CRT.

MY system still only has a 2.4ghz cpu, but i have about 900gig of hdd, and 2gig of ram, 3 dvd burners, and a 256mb Radeon Video card... But i still get around 60-100fps in most games, which I find more than adequate for most games....

Anyway, thats my 2c's worth......

Cheers
Marty

Oh, and i agree wholeheartedly with everyone, Umart is the way to go for PC bits and pieces in Brisbane, and use the other mob in mount gravatt if something breaks after hours... hahaha!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #46
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Some small parts of advice, get the best video card you can afford, and the most hard drive/ram you can afford. Then fit the rest of the system in around your budget, by the time you get to July, the entire market will change, what is $2500 now will be about $1500 in July, if it is still available. Cpu's while performance can differ, are much of a muchness... unless you are after lots higher than 100fps in games. I have a Viewsonic VX922 and i have not yet experienced it ghosting, which is the worst thing that can happen with LCD versus CRT.

MY system still only has a 2.4ghz cpu, but i have about 900gig of hdd, and 2gig of ram, 3 dvd burners, and a 256mb Radeon Video card... But i still get around 60-100fps in most games, which I find more than adequate for most games....

Anyway, thats my 2c's worth......

Cheers
Marty

Oh, and i agree wholeheartedly with everyone, Umart is the way to go for PC bits and pieces in Brisbane, and use the other mob in mount gravatt if something breaks after hours... hahaha!
The Viewsonic VX922 is a nice monitor Marty, of course at 2ms I would be surprised if you did experience any "delay/ghosting" with any reasonable video card driving it.

I believe http://www.tomshardware.com/ are also still using it as their reference LCD monitor as they were so impressed with it during testing.

Check out the user reviews of it here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116375 a lot of other people seem to be very please with it as well.