Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
fmc351
let it burn

Default Anyone know much about F100's?

Ive got a 4 speed from an F100 RWD and Im trying to find out what it is. It was behind a 250 6 cyl.

It is a Borg Warner, with the shifter going into the top of the box itself on a large knobby thing (about 5 inches tall, and maybe 3.5 inches round), which the shifter threads onto. Its similar to a rail, but there is no rail to speak of. Its also twice the weight.

Its running a twin plate clutch too if that helps.

Lastly, any idea what they are worth? Its very smooth and no noises, shifts easy.

Cheers.

fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about a pic it might help id it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

What year is the truck?

My '76 RWD F100 has a 4 speed manual which is essentially a 3 speed with a low range 1st for getting moving with loads - and it's not a Borg Warner, it's a 'New...' something. It has straight cut gears, is noisy and isn't easy to shift. Tough as nuts though.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

They're called "New Process"... Beefier than a single rail, probably not quite toploader-spec. 1st gear best used for climbing trees. 1:1 4th. Don't know much else about them, other than they're a ***** to change gears...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

Thanks, this one is definitely a Borg Warner. Heaviest Borg Warner Ive ever had the misfortune to remove. At least its easy to get around under them, that was nice.

Really nice to change gears in, that could be the double plate clutch though and no noise that I noticed. Truck has been well looked after. Its a 78. Will get some pics of the box tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 AM   #6
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

It may be T-18 if not a New Process.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
What year is the truck?

My '76 RWD F100 has a 4 speed manual which is essentially a 3 speed with a low range 1st for getting moving with loads - and it's not a Borg Warner, it's a 'New...' something. It has straight cut gears, is noisy and isn't easy to shift. Tough as nuts though.

This sounds like something similar to what's in the Father in Law's F350. He always takes off in 2nd gear (unless really loaded up) ... mainly used for paddock duty when it comes time to feed the cattle and doing fencing as well. Also uses it to go and pick up cattle feed ... and take a few steers to the sale as well.

Not the prettiest of trucks ... all I know is it's a 351 running straight gas ... it's a mid-late 70's era model .. not sure what year though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

It seems its a T-18. Numbers match those I gleaned from a google search based on Pauls t-18 keyword. Thanks everyone for the info.

13-01-065-904 on the box

13-01-097-906 on the shift casing

D4T3FA on the tag

Supposedly they are a 4 speed, however like the New Power described above, have a granny gear 1st.

Still no idea what theyre worth though.
Old 13-01-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
peedee

That low a first gear is so you can let it idle along and walk next to it to spread seed or whatever. When used to drive tow trucks, used to do that with salvage from out of bush hook winch to car stuck in bush put truck into first get it rolloing jump out and use winch as well as truck to pull car out, that way not overloading the electric winch, also good for starting off from a stop with a 12 ton tipper on the hook of a 350.
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post