Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
EFFalcon
Last warning

Default EPA vs Yellow Stickers

I'm curious... everyone knows what a canary is, we've all known someone who's copped one.
but at the same time, some people have also copped an EPA sticker.. my question is, what does the EPA defect do?
does anyone know what has to be done to get it cleared? what it means?
i know there is EPA in relation to sound, but will they do EPA checks on emmisions, any one have more detail on this?

DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
The Goodz
E-Series Firemaker

I would be interested in knowing this aswell... Although I've gotten away with my exhaust without any dramas thus far...

Alex

Automotive photography, fine art landscapes, portraiture
Photo retouching and restoration

The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

lol did you get EPA'd for ya turbo?

you just go back to stock, pass, then put everything back on... though would be easier and cheaper in the long run to get engineered, i'd say :P

just fix what the epa notice says, if you get canary for your tyres or something, unless your car looks sus, they won't generally check anything else.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From reading the calaisturbo forums you take it somewhere and they make sure all of your pollution gear is on and that you dont have atmo BOV's, loud exhausts etc.

Not sure if there is an emission test. Hus had one done and needed to fit up a stock cam to pass AFAIK.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I think EPA stickers are green in colour if that's what you're asking? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
Damo
Banned

I got an EPA notice in the mail yesterday $107 fine. I did the wrong thing though. I'm all about doing the right thing these days(the last 5 days), because at the end of the day you just get ****** over for **** that isn't worth it.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
EFFalcon
Last warning

before any one else asks, no i havnt been done.
i'm asking out of interest.
i'm sure i'm not the only one wandering.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
I think EPA stickers are green in colour if that's what you're asking? :P
referred to as a budgie i think :P
Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
referred to as a budgie i think :P
One of the guys that was camped near us at Springnats had the Canary & Budgie double within the first few hours of arriving. One of Jase's mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
niko
likes falcon's

instead of a canary you get a fungi :P
Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

EPA
is when your ******!! nah you have to pass emissions tests ans sound level tests for your car. they have to meets the rules of the day your car is manifactured, eg DB level and emmisions output. you are not alowed any modifications to you car unless it is engineered or is under the leagal limint eg exhaust db limit. emmisions must meet the specifyed out put for you age of car if it has a trubo on it it is illegal and does not meet the original specs. on your compliance plate.

this may not be 100% correct but it what ive learnt
DEFECT
defect is when your car is unroadyworthy for oil leaks too low or other obstructive things eg scoops gauges that are impareing vision etc etc.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
galapogos01
eec tweaker

My mate got EPA'd for noise. apparently they can do emissions too, they had mobile noise & mobile emissions testers at shep. He had to drive around, they checked the noise (over the limit at idle) and he got the sticker.

dont think he's cleared it yet, not sure.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
chrispie123
Banned

a mate had one put on his vl along with a canary he was not permitted to drive car, had to pass a massive amounts of test which would cost $$$ emmisions etc car had to be converted back to stock in his case in the end it was cheaper for him to buy a stock car swap everything over to pass test then back over again and sell car in the end it cost him about 2000 he said in tests
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 12:33 AM   #14
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

yeah its not canarys to worry about its the EPA.
everything has to be returned to stock, as in, if you have an illegally loud exaust or stripped cat (max fine is something like $5000 apparetly) it has to be returned to the exact dB level it left the factory with, also you will be raped for emissions gear, in some cases your car needs to be towed, and when its all fixed, must be taken (by tow truck or trailer) to their inspection centre in melbourne.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #15
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmanul
EPA
is when your ******!! nah you have to pass emissions tests ans sound level tests for your car. they have to meets the rules of the day your car is manifactured, eg DB level and emmisions output. ..
In NSW, even though there is a dB limit, an exhaust system can't be louder than the exhaust system the car was designed with. Anything louder can be considered defective. The EPA has the power to issue fines for defective exhausts. Even though that legality is there I understand they usually apply the dB limit.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #16
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

from my experience with the EPA I just had to get my exhaust sound tested and send off the results in the mail to the EPA clarifying that the 'problem' is fixed. Of course once it's clarifying you go right back and put whatever the 'problem' was back on!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #17
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

EPA = bad for turbo converted cars
Old 04-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #18
efgiar
rofl copter

epa = **** holes

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #19
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
epa = **** holes
I disagree.

We know that bad emissions, high noise, etc is illegal. You can't say an organisation are ****holes just because people want to get away with what is illegal.

The only think I think that sux is the cost involved. If it was cheaper to have the emissions checked, then more care would be EPA legal
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #20
maz1300
Banned

if your car is on gas, you bypass all the emission laws ;) (as in they no longer apply to u) so then all u have to worry with epa is sound, which if u get done isnt that hard to fix

i know this info as im in a rotary club and the boys get epa'd all the time and its real hard for them to pass emissions, so they contacted the epa and basically the epa came back and said if its on gas u have nothing to worry about, sooo theres a few in the club converting to gas turbo!!
maz1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #21
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maz1300
if your car is on gas, you bypass all the emission laws ;) (as in they no longer apply to u) so then all u have to worry with epa is sound, which if u get done isnt that hard to fix

i know this info as im in a rotary club and the boys get epa'd all the time and its real hard for them to pass emissions, so they contacted the epa and basically the epa came back and said if its on gas u have nothing to worry about, sooo theres a few in the club converting to gas turbo!!

not entirely true,
you still have to pass the same tests and costs, its just that the emmisions made by a lpg car is way less the a car on ULP. this allows the car to pass the same test easly.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #22
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

canary is a defect notice. i have had 4. all mainly for tyres, too low and exhaust. less than 3 defects doesnt require roadworthy. 3 or more requires roadworthy, and an inspection at vicroads.

EPA notice, is when your exhaust is too loud 99% of the time. i have had one from a geelong copper. he listened to my exhaust and said its not too bad. then about a month later, i got a letter in the mail saying that i had been spotted on such 'n' such a street and such 'n' such a time with an excessively loud car and to have it tested at my nearest testing centre. there is only one in geelong. all they test for is sound. NOT emissions. i belive the only places that test for emssions are toyota, and fords. they charge like $5000+ so no authority is going to send you there to get tested. EPA stickers, and letters are all about noise. our e-series can be 90DB from memory.

cheers.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #23
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

sorry forgot to mention, a canary gives you 2 weeks to fix before you cant drive the car. then after that 2 week period you have another 2 weeks to clear it (catch 22 coz you cant drive it legally at this point) or your rego is CANCELLED! then you have to pay 500 odd bucks to apply for new rego, PLUS roadie.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
maz1300
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
canary is a defect notice. i have had 4. all mainly for tyres, too low and exhaust. less than 3 defects doesnt require roadworthy. 3 or more requires roadworthy, and an inspection at vicroads.

EPA notice, is when your exhaust is too loud 99% of the time. i have had one from a geelong copper. he listened to my exhaust and said its not too bad. then about a month later, i got a letter in the mail saying that i had been spotted on such 'n' such a street and such 'n' such a time with an excessively loud car and to have it tested at my nearest testing centre. there is only one in geelong. all they test for is sound. NOT emissions. i belive the only places that test for emssions are toyota, and fords. they charge like $5000+ so no authority is going to send you there to get tested. EPA stickers, and letters are all about noise. our e-series can be 90DB from memory.

cheers.
i got a defect for 1 thing! 2 low and i still had to produce a rwc and get it inspected by vicroads and it was a minor aswell! had 30 days to fix it!!
maz1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #25
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

yer minor is less than 3 things. major is 3 or more. i have only ever had majors.

depending on the ONE thing, the police CAN make you get a roadie. for tyres, they generally dont. maybe because yours was suspension components, and they are more important than minor tyre damage. im not sure.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #26
galapogos01
eec tweaker

at the risk of this thread turning into more 'he said she said my mate said i used to be a cop'...

when my mate was EPA'd for noise, he didnt have to 'return it to stock', he just had to be under 90dB (standard for all cars after 1990 iirc).
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #27
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah that's right, I had a Redback 2.5" system on my old EA and I only bought it cause it was apparantly legal (under 90db or whatever). Anyway, got spotted by an undercover one day in a side street, two weeks later I got a EPA notice in the letterbox.

Took it straight to Midas (nearest testing station) and asked if the Redback exhaust's are legal or not....he said 'yeah' and after the test it was 1db less than the legal limit on my test sheet Dunno if it actually passed the test for real or not, but those systems are marketed as being under the legal dB limit. Anyway, it passed that's all I cared about.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #28
FRDPWR
416w 10.5@127mph

once you get spotted in melbourne for a highly modified vechcle 9/10 times they will give you a canery and then a few weeks later in the mail you will receive a letter from EPA. Saying that you either got this letter due to noice or a full EPA test and that you have 2 weeks to take the car down to Macload and get it tested if you received a full EPA.
FRDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #29
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to clear this up a bit, the notice in the mail from the EPA requesting a noise test to be done at a licenced tester is technically just an add-on to a defect. Very easy to pass just make sure its under 90db and you can go.

The green EPA notice on the windscreen though usually means you have to take it to an EPA testing centre (Macleod for Melbourne people). Experinced EPA inspectors look over your car and ensure all original pollution gear is on the car and that no parts which can effect emmisions have be modified in anyway.

That means if you have aftermarket filters, injectors, turbos, ECU's, BOV, exhaust, fuel regulators etc etc they must be returned to stock to pass EPA. So basically guys on here with turbo e-series would have to get return their car to stock spec.

They are VERY strict and smart, they know what and where to find things.

Its best to have everything EPA related fixed before you go so you can just clear it, if not you go they write a list of things to be completed which must be fixed by a certain date (2nd inspection) if not rego cancelled anf fines may follow.

Last edited by FRDXR6; 05-01-2007 at 06:28 PM.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #30
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
They are VERY strict and smart, they know what and where to find things.

oooh yeah!! :evil3: