Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Water Leak

Hi guys,

Been getting water in the boot, not the boot itself, but from the inside of the bootlid, emptying as I raise the bootlid high.

As mentioned a few times, I suspect it's the spoiler bolt holes. But what is the best remedy for fixing the leak.

In the past, JC has recommended rubber grommets, but for the stop light wiring if memory serves me correct.

Someone else has recommended getting rubber and remaking the oval shaped gasket?

Someone else said silastic.

Which of these ideas works the best? As we've been getting heaps of rain lately, I suppose others have been getting this issue coming up again?

Also, will pulling the rubber grommets from the bottom of the boot lid help drain the water in the future? Should I put them back in, as they are rubber stops for the boot lid aren't they?

As always, the discussion and help is most appreciated.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Like to help, but Ive got a ute, lol :
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Syncro

I get the same problem but I have no spoiler, have to look into it further
Syncro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

GK - have a look where the holes for the boot spoiler go - they are actually on the outside of the rubber seal that seal the boot/bootlid, so it's not them that is causing the leak, and they also go through the top and bottom art of the boot panels which is effectively one piece of metal - ie there is no way for water to enter the bootlid from these holes as the holes don't actually go into the bootlid cavity.

It is definitely the rubber grommet for the electrical wiring - the only cure is a new grommet, or heaps of silastic around where the cable goes into the grommet - the more you coat that hole, the better, as it is the ONLY possible source of water getting into the bootlid. To do this you need to take the spoiler off, which may rip the rubber stuck to the bottom of it, but since this doesn't seal anything, apart from the electrical wiring hole, and you will be silasticing that anyway, there should be no issues caused by the tearting of the rubber bit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncro
I get the same problem but I have no spoiler, have to look into it further
Wow, that makes a mockery of my post above. The only other source for water to get in the actual bootlid (and not the boot - not until you open the boot) is the numberplate holes and/or the trim above the numberplate.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Thanks JC for that most useful info.

I knew the only other possibility for water in that part of the boot lid was the number plate. I was pretty sure it wasn't that one though, although to check would certainly be easy enough.

It was a 7/8ths grommet wasn't it? That'll test your memory! LOL!

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 17-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I knew the only other possibility for water in that part of the boot lid was the number plate. I was pretty sure it wasn't that one though, although to check would certainly be easy enough.
Ok, so I checked the number plate and wouldn't you know it, the self tappers had gone all the way through the black plasticy self tapping grommet thingy!

How's that for correct teriminology? :

In any case, I took them out, shortened them, reinserted them and popped a blob of All Clear on each black plasticy self tapping grommet thingy!

I'll see how that goes.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 17-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just out of interest, how much water was coming out of the lid when you opened it? although it would seem you have found the cause, i would think that there would be a fair bit if it was leaking from the spoiler
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
just out of interest, how much water was coming out of the lid when you opened it? although it would seem you have found the cause, i would think that there would be a fair bit if it was leaking from the spoiler
I've had the car for almost a year now, and it's the first time I've noticed the water issue. The rain the past few days has probably been the heaviest for the longest.

A fair amount came out, not dribbles or anything.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 17-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fair enough...well i hope it all goes well, if that doesn't fix it, maybe try having a look at the bolts that hold the boot garnish on, the piece where the number plate lights are that is...i'm sure you probably know what it is, but just to be certain...anyway, it bolts through the boot lid near where the number plate screws go in
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

yeah - i've had this issue too - havent looked into it though cause its rained less the 5 times in canberra in the whole year (well maybe a few more then 5)... no spoiler on mine either..

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
fair enough...well i hope it all goes well, if that doesn't fix it, maybe try having a look at the bolts that hold the boot garnish on, the piece where the number plate lights are that is...i'm sure you probably know what it is, but just to be certain...anyway, it bolts through the boot lid near where the number plate screws go in
That was something else I noticed as a possibility today! Not likely though, but I did unbolt one side of the spoiler to have a peek. Rubber looked ok, not perished or anything. Gave bolts on both sides of the spoiler a bit of a tweak though, to be on the safe side.

I'll see how that one goes! If there's still water, I'll have a crack at JC's grommet! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 13-12-2006, 04:19 AM   #13
Syncro

It's like a handfull or two of water that sit up in the top of the right hand side of the boot, a lot higher than the number plate or boot garnish in mine. I am thinking it may be getting through the gromet for boot wiring in the corner of the boot
Syncro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post