Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default BA Edit - Not the kind you're thinking of!

Looking back in hindsight to the release of the BA in September 02, there's many things I would have changed on the BA. Not just specifications, but many options, which I would have included, included earlier (eg. something that was released later on), or not included at all.

Some of the main things I would change on Ford/FPV's line up would include engines, engine specifications, model lineup, and other various drive train improvements.

To start with, I would have not used the current 5.4L engines on both Ford and FPV products. I think the 4.6L DOHC V8 out of the Mustang Cobra would have been a better option for the entry level V8s, Fairmonts and Ghias.

Taking into consideration that Ford didn't want to spend more money on the standard I6 to make it more powerful for the XR6, my view is that they should have made two versions of the XR8. Both models in-line with the XR6, one being the 240kw/430nm engine and the other being a detuned version of the 290kw/522nm supercharged 4.6L found in the 03/04 Cobra SVTs.

Next thing would be the FPVs. I think Ford's introduction of the T56 was too late. They should have introduced it on BAs, or at least just on FPV models, so they would have been able to relase the F6 earlier. Maybe they didn't want to have the F6 out for 3 years without having an auto options, but if anything, the FPV V8s should have had a T56.

As for engine specs for FPV vehicles, I totally agree with Steffo as I am of the belief that the supercharged 4.6L V8 from the 03 Mustang Cobra SVT would have been a much better option. The 03 Cobra does mid 4 0-100 and high 12 1/4 miles. This is in a 1662kg car. The supercharger would add some weight, but if anything it would make a GT 1860kg. Weight isn't good as we know, but what we do is if we apply the theory of 50kg = 1 tenth, based on that, the GT should be able to do low 5 0-100 and low 13s easy. Yes there are alot of other variables, but it's proven time and again that the blown 4.6 motor has a lot more power than Ford has rated it.

As for options, well, there's quite a few. For starters, LSD should have been standard on ALL XR6s, and there should have been an option for XR running gear (3.46LSD) on all Fairmonts and Ghias. Considering Ford's ICC doesn't give much leeway in terms of modifying sound system, Ford should have offered a much better sound system for those who want to pay the extra money. I think something else should have been done with the XR6T bonnets. Factory vents are required for venting engine bay temps, as they get bloody hot, but also they would have provided a unique look for the XR6T, and maybe would have deterred alot of people from putting V8 bonnets on their XR6T.

Another option I would NEVER have included, would be the stripes on FPVs. There's going to be a lot of people who disagree with me, but let me include reasons why. First of all, I think they were an after thought. After initial criticism at the SMS (Sydney Motor Show) of FPVs looking too much like their XR counterparts, FPV decided to add tacky stick on stripes (they could have at least painted them on). Don't get me wrong, I think SOME stripe combos look OKAY on some colours, but a lot just don't gel. But the worst part of the whole stripe deal, and the one that's mostly made me realise how dissapointed I was in FPV's decision to make stripes, is the fact that so many people are now putting stripes on their non FPV vehicles. This, I think, looks terrible and has given those people ideas to make even more horrid looking stripes (BONNET DECALS) other ugly aesthetic enhancements.

Anyway, I think Ford and FPV's model lineup from BA back in 02 should have been the following:

XT: Same 182kw IL6 and optional 240kw 4v V8
Futura: As above, without V8 option.
XR6: 182kw IL6 with lsd standard
XR6T: Bigger brakes. Not premium, but Territory spec, with vented rear rotors.
XR8: 240kw/430nm V8 as standard, pricing at lower scale of 40k to compete with SV8.
XR8S: Supercharged (detuned) 4.6L V8 with 260-270kw and 3.46 final drive on both man and auto. Same brakes standard as XR6T (Territory spec).
Fairmont: 182kw IL6, 210kw detuned XR6T motor, 240kw 4.6 V8, optional XR running gear with T6 and V8.
Fairmont Ghia: As above.
Fairlane Ghia: As above.
LTD: V8 option only.

FPV:
GT: 290kw 4.6L Supercharged V8.
GT-P: As above
Pursuit: As above, with option of no hard tonneau cover.
Super Pursuit: Should have come out earlier to compete with Maloo R8.
Typhoon: Should have came out with T56 trans from series 1
Tornado: As per F6, otherwise no changes necessary (except maybe a certain circlip on a clutch)
LWB: Should have been a LWB model to compete with Grange.

Some of you may argue about my choice of V8s. I believe that although the 220kw motor has more torque than the 240kw 4.6L, the 4.6L still has ample torque for towing, and lower gearing could make extra use of that torque, while the 240kw motor provides the foundation to stay with the 235 and 245kw base model and SV8 that it would be competing against.

As for the sueprcharged motors, I believe they are a much better option than the 5.4L. The 5.4L would have been expensive to make (handbuilt) while I would have thought throwing an already tried and engineered motor straight in would be a lot easier and cheaper. Since Ford seem to think they HAD to use the 5.4 they could at least have put in the Cobra R internals to make it rev out to 6500rpm. So, both in the XR8S (yes a model I made up myself) and the FPV models, the 4.6L Supercharged V8 would not only be as easy to mod as the XR6T, but would most likely be ahead of the LS1s, and see many FPVs today running 11s. It's not very hard to get a stock Cobra in the 11s. Some run low 10s with a whipple or Kenne Bell Supercharger and slicks.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Although we can't change anything, I felt the need to get some of issues I had with some of Ford's decisions off my chest.

Last edited by Cobra; 28-03-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

not bad points there man.
i think one of the good points of ford going the 5.4 litre, is to bring its cubic capacity closer to the gen 3 and now 4.
imagine putting a 4.6litre s/c motor against a gen 4 producing similar power / torque without any forced induction.
thats my 2cents, i just prefer C.I
Old 28-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
FordFan86
meow

That was a very good read, i agree with pretty much everything mentioned.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
not bad points there man.
i think one of the good points of ford going the 5.4 litre, is to bring its cubic capacity closer to the gen 3 and now 4.
imagine putting a 4.6litre s/c motor against a gen 4 producing similar power / torque without any forced induction.
thats my 2cents, i just prefer C.I
I can understand what you're saying. I too always wished Ford could have had the cubic capacity to match it with Holden. But I don't think these 5.4L are the answer. If Ford HAD a 6 litre all alloy quad cam V8 to choose from, then by all means I would say take it. But they don't. We can only work with what we've got and the best of what Ford has got is a 4.6L superchaged V8.

If HSV use the 7 litre Z06 motor in the next GTS, Ford are going to be even further behind. The 4.6 blown can easily make up the numbers the 427 small block makes. I think the blown 4.6 is Fords answer to their V8 woes in both factory and aftermarket perofrmance.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Pik0

Arent Ford US producing a 6.4L V8?
After there profit for the 1st time in a while, i remember them talking about building a new V8 and a few other things they had to put on hold because the money wasnt there at the time...
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Arent Ford US producing a 6.4L V8?
After there profit for the 1st time in a while, i remember them talking about building a new V8 and a few other things they had to put on hold because the money wasnt there at the time...
I'm sure they canned that idea and were concentrating on the 5L cammer or something....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 01:44 AM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I can understand what you're saying. I too always wished Ford could have had the cubic capacity to match it with Holden. But I don't think these 5.4L are the answer. If Ford HAD a 6 litre all alloy quad cam V8 to choose from, then by all means I would say take it. But they don't. We can only work with what we've got and the best of what Ford has got is a 4.6L superchaged V8.

If HSV use the 7 litre Z06 motor in the next GTS, Ford are going to be even further behind. The 4.6 blown can easily make up the numbers the 427 small block makes. I think the blown 4.6 is Fords answer to their V8 woes in both factory and aftermarket perofrmance.
Then the problem becomes insurance. Having a supercharger makes insurance expensive and harder to get, and this would effect sales.
I think choosing the 5.4 was the right decision cause it has the torque to move the heavy BA body, the problem is that they took too long to upgrade it. The 5.4 quad cam was rushed onto the market and was late, as it was never intended to be used as the 3 valve version was the motor originally chosen, but FPV couldn't get enough power out of it so had to switch to the 4 valve version. This comprimesed the original Boss version as they had to use off the shelf cams etc. that weren't fully suited to the application. I think the current Boss uses a standard exhaust cam with a Cobra inlet cam, they aren't well matched but made do. Now that FPV have had plenty of development time the updated version due later this year should get the Boss to where it needs to be.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post