Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Pik0

Default Start Bar disappearing

I have a laptop that usually sits on my desk with the power in. Using XP professional. After a while if im not using it the whole bottom bar where the start button, time and programs running is shown just disappears. Its really annoying. I still still access the start button from the keyboard but I cant easily change between programs and in general its just plain annoying.

Does anyone know what i can do to fix this or is there a place people could direct me to?
Oh its an ASUS A6T if that helps at all.

Thanks

Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
BlackLS

Right click on the bar, properties, make sure autohide the task bar is not selected. If this doesn't work I'd just do a windows re-install.

Although my documents are on a secondary disk and I'm a lazy bugger.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
MintEAFalcon
1990 EA Falcon S Driver

If the above does not work (seems the most likely cause), I would try a couple of things. Firstly, Do you have a screen saver enabled? Try disabling that and monitor the results. Beyond that, I would disable the power saving features via the control panel and see what happens. Windows might be having a hissy fit when the laptop goes into power-save, ie., shuts down the hard disk and turns off your video.

Beyond that, it *could* be a little net-nasty running in the background force quitting your explorer.exe shell. It is doubtful, but anything is possible these days. If you have explorer (not Internet Explorer) windows open when it happens, do they vanish as well?

Interesting problem

Mark.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Pik0

No its not an Autohide function. I wish it was, rather be an idiot and have it fixed. But alas its not.

I have a feeling it could part of the computer shutting down. It used to not do it so I will give it a go and update it soon.
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Old 23-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
BlackLS

Just thinking about this it does sound like the explorer process crashing. Are the icons on the desktop disappearing at the same time?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need a format...your windows files are either corrupt or virus infected or the like

or just ctrl alt del and file, new task then type explorer and all is good again..lol

just format so much easier its like an oil change in a car

good luck

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Pik0

Well i just went to settings for the screen saver to put a new one on. previewed it and low and behold the start bars back. Dont think its a virus or anything. Norton, S&D and Spyware doctor all havent found anything. No Explorer things disapear its like the computer just forgets to draw it in. Fixed for the moment so we'll see what happens
Coming Soon:
Lowering