Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #31
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
I'm about to finish my Adv Dip Electronic Engineering and just got an electrical apprenticeship at Ford. Yeah the money won't be the best for the first couple of years, but the papers at the end of it will make up for all that.
I've gotten into it a bit late (I'm 23), and can get into a half decent paying electronic job with the qual's I have now, but as others have said, think of the bigger picture.

Finish that diploma. It'll come in handy when you have your trade (ie try finish it at night/correspondance)

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:25 AM   #32
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I agree 100%, how can anyone complain when a company and it's current tradespeople have gone out of their way to give some young person the best start possible to their working life, even if they don't realise it!!....."that's gratitude for ya"

When I started my apprenticeship some 25 years or so ago I knew that the money intitially was going to be garbage, but at least I had the foresight to understand it was only a short term issue.....after successfully completing the 4 year apprenticeship I then started to reap the rewards of being a skilled tradesman whereas some of my mates were still in dead end jobs on poor money and conditions with limited means of diversifying as they were of course by that stage getting older......too late to start apprenticeships by that stage etc.

I cannot understand the lack of patience or vision of todays young people, they seem to be the "I want it and must have it now generation".......they have to have the fancy car, plasma tv's, latest gadgets, the very latest mobiles, designer lables etc.....usually all on high interest credit cards and personal loans etc just waiting to send them bankcrupt........what the hell is wrong with them?......we were never like this.
100% Correct
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #33
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not all apprentices are a 'useless'.
When I was a 1st year mechanic I was doing full services, engine replacements, brakes, suspension and general repairs. I was pretty much doing what the qualified guys were doing, and I had only been there a few months.
What **** me was that the boss and the two mechanics were getting a great bonus from all the business we were doing, yet I got nothing. I asked about it and they said only 4th year and the qualified guys would get it, so i basically told them FU and im only going to be an 'apprentice' and just observe from now on. I decided to only wash cars for a week or two then quit.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #34
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Now you have a lot to say that I agree with however in this case I think you need 1300 655506.
Lol... im not sure what that phone number is... nor am i adventurous enough to dial!
Old 19-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #35
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
lol

seems the youth of today (possibly the past decade actually) just want the big bucks now without putting in the hard yards. there are some very valid points, especially the ones about those that go to uni for 4 years only have part time work at best, then usually have a substaintal HECS debt to sort out. There isnt very many tradesmen in this country that havent had to do an apprenticeship and put up with the low bucks for a few years...come on guys, man up.
Very good point.

Whilst i believe some tranee/aprentice wages should get a bit of a lift up, the end result is you are being paid to be trained. My 5yrs at uni cost me a significant ammount (read: 30k+ debt) for which im just expected to accept. If i was paid $x/hr for the time i spent at uni i sure as hell would'nt be whining.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #36
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
Finish that diploma. It'll come in handy when you have your trade (ie try finish it at night/correspondance)
Ah I am finishing it this year. I only have a month or so of classes left. I'm going to go further with it and do uni off campus to get my Bach of Engineering.
I should mention the new job doesn't start till next year.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #37
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Lol... im not sure what that phone number is... nor am i adventurous enough to dial!

Put it this way..it will be the beginning of a new reading and writing experience.

If you were up with my posts you would remember I have given this number to a few who prefer sms instead of english.lol

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post