Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
What about the ix 35 two wheel drive or the dualis?
The new Kia sportage is much better than its sister sibling (ix35) & I would not go for an ASX either as the seats are damm hard to sit on lol

Escape underpowered & bad handling in its class not to mention old design.

Dualis, Rav4, Kia Sportage would be my pick of the cheaper small AWD's
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #32
Barnaby

Considered the VW Tiguan? Apart from the crap name, pricey options & slightly smaller luggage area, they are the pic in this class IMO. Their pricing is good at the moment because of run out I think. Made in Germany too...
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #33
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
The new Kia sportage is much better than its sister sibling (ix35) & I would not go for an ASX either as the seats are damm hard to sit on lol

Escape underpowered & bad handling in its class not to mention old design.

Dualis, Rav4, Kia Sportage would be my pick of the cheaper small AWD's
Did you read that in cars guide? Kia have a BAD reputation, heaps of trouble with the V6 carnivals.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #34
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

ute83 I can agree with first statement re the V6 and then may I correct you - first model Carnival V6 was an open case POS,everyone knows/knew of this since the troubles got reported.
Kia acted and fixed their problem V6 has been fine since the next model came out.

I suppose some mud will stick for some its human nature but let me tell you combined Hyundai/KIA are kicking strong nowadays.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #35
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Took Mum around the yards today. The object was to sit in a few and see how she felt behind the wheel. Main focus on visibility, adjust-ability of the seat, ease of access with seat in position, tailgate configuration and general feel. The visibility test focussed on the front. Mum hates bonnets that fall away excessively so I stood in front and held up an exercise book indicating where the nose was. We have eliminated a few:
Suzuki Grand Vitara - Hates the side opening tailgate with spare mounted.
Toyota Rav4 - As above, also a bit too bulky.
Honda CRV - Too bulky.
Mitsubishi Outlander - As above.
Ford Escape - Size OK but she just didn't feel right in it.

The short list is now:
Mitsubishi ASX - Felt good in it and really liked it on a test drive. I was pleasantly surprised but to her the steering felt a tad stiff (FWD characteristic) and a fair bit of road noise.
Kia Sportage - Very well featured and well priced.
Mazda CX7 - Really liked it (but just as big as the CRV etc.... go figure).
Subaru Forrester - Not eliminated but wasn't ecstatic about it.
Hyundai IX35 - Worth another look but Mum tired by then.

We still need to drive the others (got to drive the ASX only) and have a closer look at them. The Mazda and Subaru will probably be eliminated on price.

Front runner at the moment is the Mitsubishi ASX.

We're also open to low Km used cars so time to hit the net. The local Hyundai dealer has a 2008 Tucson being traded this week, a local one elderly owner car with only 20,000km on the clock. We'll check this one out.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Cheers for that!! Something to look out for, that's for sure.

Yep, the CRV is a major fuggly.
Kia Sportage should be on the list too

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
Big Damo works at a honda dealership from memory - thats it find a good local mechanic so as to avoid high labour costs but apprentice's working on your car.
Used to

Yeah, $110 an hour at the dealership I was working at, and a lot of shortcuts where getting taken on 40,000km services when we where busy.

Yeah the product is reliable, but its boring, any car is reliable when you're like the Honda customer, always gets serviced every 6 months at the dealership even though the car has only done 500km since its last service. They have their fair share of issues, Honda can't seem to make a decent auto transmission, the amount of autos coming out of cars under warranty while I was there was amazing. Or the new Civic Type R's, we had a few of those come in all with stripped 3rd gear because it cant stand up to being driven how they where intended to be.

Personally, I think Honda is riding on its reputation it earned back in the 90s when its cars where ace, these days compared to the competition its overpriced and overrated.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #37
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Kia Sportage should be on the list too
It is now, after seeing one in the yard today at a combined Honda/Kia dealership.

Mazda CX7 also added tom the original list.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 15-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #38
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Mazda CX7 - Really liked it (but just as big as the CRV etc.... go figure).
size isn't everything - one is a bus, the other is a car
the crv feels like a commercial vehicle
the cx7 feels like a car - and a good one at that

i am not sure on overall dimensions of the cx7, rav 4 and crv, but even if they are all the same basic size, the cx7 looks/feels lower. when sitting in it looking over the bonnet, it isn't much different to the 6, infact it is easier to see out of than the 3mps

the rav 4 feels like you would expect an suv to feel like and in the crv i kept moving over to the curb to pick up passengers
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #39
stev3n

If i was spending my money i'd go with the Subaru, possibly a low milage Outback?
stev3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #40
Stealth00

Nissan Dualis or X-Trail should rate for a quick look at least. Have had an X-trail for the last 7 years and not one problem.

Dualis is smaller than the X-trail more the size of the Mitsubishi ASX.
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #41
AUIIISR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
Forget Escape - imo POS I'm sorry to the followers of these.
They just arn't up to the standard of the other competition hence the pricing advantage.
Friends of ours bought one not long ago - at the time I wanted to mention don't but its there decision , yep at a bbq lunch recently he said whilst we talked cars the biggest mistake he made.
Subby is nice but for my wife and 3kids inside is just too small/tight for us to consider and SWMBO likes SUV height nowadays.
CRV on the 2nd one soon to replace - never a problem,keep to service intervals great reliable ownership - we don't care of looks but reliability you can't go wrong, what major service cost, yer like all these cars timing belt done @ 60thou k's etc big deal. Big Damo works at a honda dealership from memory - thats it find a good local mechanic so as to avoid high labour costs but apprentice's working on your car.
All my years owning cars - I don't mind paying more for quality to reduce the down time having thought to have saved up to $5k at purchase time.
Outlander good machine - but I hear heavy on fuel especially AWD.
Rav4 - can't go wrong imo again.
Have fun trying to decide I also am starting on the hunt its a pain !
Nailed it, Rav4 is the only other option I'd go for just for driveability, the Outlander, heavy on petrol yes, but when poking around town its next to same price of filling up the falcon. Im sick of the lowered family car and when we head up the snowys to the holiday house its just easier to take it off road
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #42
exdubbleya

Picked up a new TI AWD Dualis for my wife last weekend, and she is over the moon. We were in the same situation as you - wanted something SUV like, not too big, local runs (kids to school etc), good fuel economy and pretty much went thorugh an elimination process. (BTW, she was coming out of a Forester)
Kia, Hyundai, Captiva - too korean
Mazda CX7 - too big, and check out the fuel consumption
CRV - design?
Escape - too old (where is the Kuga!)
Rav4 & Vitara - just seemed too dated (and the tailgate)
Forester - was close, but just dosent have the same feel as the older models - and whats with a 5 speed box (my gemini had a 5 speed box in 1984)

The Dualis is really well appointed (Leather, power everything, auto lights/wipers, glass roof, climate control etc) and in my opinion pretty good value - on the road with 15km for under $33k. Its not the fastest thing around, but you sit high and have good visibility.

Anyway, thats my 2 bobs worth - good luck with your choice
exdubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #43
RAPID_BA
Banned

Smart man putting the asx on the top of your list, ive spent plenty of time with mums asx and its quality mate. Newest design, best warranty.

I had the sportage for over a week, both 2.0l and then 2.4l model, they just feel cheap, the asx is like a merc next to it (it actually is on a merc chasis).

Just drive them for a while, sit in the back and quick smart the sportage cheapness will shine through. The hyundai i35 is no different. Consider the resale, asx will be all over it.

Rav 4 i drive em at work and they sound like a cheap truck, i was excited about the rav until i drove it.

Escape, never been near one.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #44
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdubbleya
Forester - was close, but just dosent have the same feel as the older models - and whats with a 5 speed box (my gemini had a 5 speed box in 1984)

The Dualis is really well appointed (Leather, power everything, auto lights/wipers, glass roof, climate control etc) and in my opinion pretty good value - on the road with 15km for under $33k. Its not the fastest thing around, but you sit high and have good visibility.

Anyway, thats my 2 bobs worth - good luck with your choice
I'll take a 5 speed over a CVT any day of the week.

New Forester doesn't have same feel as the old, is that the feeling the backseat passengers have when they amputate their legs so they can fit in the back set.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #45
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the CX7 is on your list now I would suggest it would be the best for its build quality, handling & comfort in general though on rough roads they can feel like an XR6 lol
I did not mention this before as they are larger & do cost more, also look at the fuel consumption factor which is a bit higher than a few others on your list but not hugely so.
I am not talking the Turbo as it does use a fair amount more.
The Diesel is good for economy but weighs a fair amount more & is a new Sky engine coming later this year.
Good luck & tell us what you end up getting along with a few Pics
Old 16-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #46
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You did mention good visibility. How about a Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? (I might have missed the budget here, but if she can afford one, this would be my recommendation). It will be better to drive than the others previously mentioned. Stronger, and more capable in other ways too. Even if you don't use it to its potential, it won't hurt to have it. Good economy with the CRD engines too. Anyway, test drives are free! Best of luck.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #47
Bearman

Update from last week.

Subaru Forrester and Mazda CX7 eliminated on price.

Local Nissan dealer did not have a Dualis in stock so was not considered.

Kia Sportage just didn't take Mum's fancy.

Hyundai IX35 was eliminated because the bonnet falls away too much and difficult to judge the front of the car - Mum's pet hate.

Drove a low mileage Hyundai Tucson and found much better visibility than the IX35 but put off by the handling which I considered rather unstable.

Had another drive of the Mitsubishi ASX over the same roads and was streets in front. Mum loves it so a win to the ASX!!

We left it at that point and advised her to wait for a demonstrator.

I've been back in Melb for a week now. Last night Mum rang. A deal has been done on the Mitsubishi ASX. She is buying the demo unit we drove. When she told me how much she paid I died in the ****, thinking she'd been ripped off but I had forgotten the fact that it was a 4WD unit, not the FWD so it made it a pretty reasonable deal. We drove it switched to FWD and I didn't give the 4WD thing another thought. It only has around 150km on the clock, plenty of extras (full size spare, nudge bar, reverse sensors, blue tooth and other techo stuff, tow bar, tint) and is a good deal. Maybe a bit more haggling or shopping around could have done a little better but being in a country town and a bit old fashioned she didn't feel right about buying out of town.

For what it is I quite like it!! A win to the Mitsubishi ASX.

Thanks everyone for your input, it was much appreciated.

Old 25-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #48
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The little Mitsu is a decent unit ... and has an excellent warranty as well.
I really liked the Outlander and is a good unit as well ... but as you mentioned it was a little too large ... hence the ASX falls into the right sizing range for her.

In the end if you Mum is happy with the vehicle ... and likes how it drives .... that's the main thing in the end really.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #49
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go the mitsubushi they have built very good cars i would get another one regretted the day i sold our AWD magna.
Ford escape is cheaper for a reason... Especially with the fault list my mate told me.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #50
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on your Mum Bearman
Hope she enjoys her new toy.
How much did she end up paying if you dont mind telling us as it completes the story & I still have a sore butt from those hard seats so tell her to be careful not to sit in it too long lmao (joke)
Old 26-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #51
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Update from last week.

Subaru Forrester and Mazda CX7 eliminated on price.

Local Nissan dealer did not have a Dualis in stock so was not considered.

Kia Sportage just didn't take Mum's fancy.

Hyundai IX35 was eliminated because the bonnet falls away too much and difficult to judge the front of the car - Mum's pet hate.

Drove a low mileage Hyundai Tucson and found much better visibility than the IX35 but put off by the handling which I considered rather unstable.

Had another drive of the Mitsubishi ASX over the same roads and was streets in front. Mum loves it so a win to the ASX!!

We left it at that point and advised her to wait for a demonstrator.

I've been back in Melb for a week now. Last night Mum rang. A deal has been done on the Mitsubishi ASX. She is buying the demo unit we drove. When she told me how much she paid I died in the ****, thinking she'd been ripped off but I had forgotten the fact that it was a 4WD unit, not the FWD so it made it a pretty reasonable deal. We drove it switched to FWD and I didn't give the 4WD thing another thought. It only has around 150km on the clock, plenty of extras (full size spare, nudge bar, reverse sensors, blue tooth and other techo stuff, tow bar, tint) and is a good deal. Maybe a bit more haggling or shopping around could have done a little better but being in a country town and a bit old fashioned she didn't feel right about buying out of town.

For what it is I quite like it!! A win to the Mitsubishi ASX.

Thanks everyone for your input, it was much appreciated.
I took the ASX out last weekend (mums), its a cool car, she has the auto, goes good enough. You made the right choice.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #52
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
Good on your Mum Bearman
Hope she enjoys her new toy.
How much did she end up paying if you dont mind telling us as it completes the story & I still have a sore butt from those hard seats so tell her to be careful not to sit in it too long lmao (joke)
Got it for $34K all up drive away with all the fruit, 4WD and auto. Have seen them for $32.5K drive away on carsales but not sure what's included. In all, I'm happy she got a reasonable deal.

Pics it up on Thursday and she's hanging out, it's been 18 years since her and my late Dad bought the Commodore.

Old 26-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #53
Matty4
Banana

Well done Craig...
Old 27-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #54
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done Mum
I am sure she is thinking about your Dad in all of this & maybe even saying to him "name" you would have loved this 4WD etc
Good on her & as I have said hope she really enjoys driving it.
Oh & I don't think any of us said we were sorry to hear about your Dad passing however I am sure we all thought it, so sorry from me to hear about your Dad (mine passed away when I was 21).
Old 19-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #55
Bearman

Default Re: Small SUV - Opinions please.

Bit of an epic thread mine here. My Mum after having had a fall and some other mishaps is considering surrendering her drivers licence. Not long after getting the ASX she lost confidence in her driving and in the last 2 years has hardly driven it.

It now has 8,000km on the clock!!!

There is a possibility this may be my new daily driver. Stay tuned.....

2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #56
Bearman

My Mum has decided to stop driving and hand in her drivers license so the AXS will be moved on.

A sale to a nearby neighbour has fallen over so I'll be picking it up in a few weeks to sell. We had considered keeping it ourselves but I'd prefer a Territory or something along those lines.

Mitsubishi ASX base model petrol 4WD version. First registered November 2010, purchased March 2011. Done around 9,500km.

3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #57
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

All the best to your mum, a good friend of mine just handed his license in too. Big calls, but for the best.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #58
Morry

That's as shame about your mum.

Last edited by Morry; 30-07-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #59
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

A shame that she's had to hand in her licence, but I'm sure it's for the best! All the best to her and to you with the sale of the ASX!

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2015, 01:31 AM   #60
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a shame for your mum , losing that independence is a tough pill to swallow in our mature years,
i had to make that decision about handing the licence in for my old mum some years ago,
but in her case, it was without any doubt best for her, and for everyone else on the road too.
it was a tough thing to do , because my old mum was far from a natural when it came to driving a motor car and she worked very hard to learn to drive and get her licence ,and i feel a bit guilty sometimes for doing it , but **** happens and we just have to deal with it.

bit of a shame the car is not your cup of tea, , 2010 model car with less than 2000 ks a year would be a hard vehicle to find normally , anyway all the best to your mum and with the vehicle sale.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post