Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
bertis

Default more turbo troubles

I am still having troubles with this damn car. the turbo setup is identical to the way evlelf had it all setup... runs alright with the boost turned right down but when I turn it up. it will hit 3000rpm and u can feel it wants to take off but then it will have a hissy fit and miss like its got no fuel or spark...but its not pinging. The new motor doesnt run anywhere near as rich as the old one. the old motor reaked of fuel which makes me think the rising regulator could be stuffed

its a vortech 12:1 rising reg and I have the lowest point of it connected to the fuel return and the bottom side connection is going to the bottom of the standard regulator. I know the reference is gettign boost because I swapped it with where the boost guauge was connected... anybody got any ways of testing these regulators? might have to bug a mate about getting a fuel pressure guage

thought i had it fixed the other day but part of the piping had come loose and it was just getting buggar all boost.

my day off today so I been trying to work it out but its just giving me the shits.

EB series 2, Vixen red with blue perl, custom body kit, lowered, sweet custom interior :hihi:, ported head chambers, T3/t4 hybrid turbo, log manifold, intercooler, vortech 12:1 rising reg, Walbro 255, thermo fans, redback exhaust, 3.45 LSD,Stage 2 BTR95le built by DTM, pioneer 680MP, 2x pioneer 450w subs, response class D 820w amp
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car
Standard FG XR6T with Cobalt gauges so far.

12.85@109mph on STD boost
bertis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

how much boost is it getting at the moment?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

your getting blowout on your plugs. Take them out and regap them to .8 of a mm.

I had the same thing happen and i thought it was fuel pump/reg, but no matter how much or how little fuel i put in it through the wolf the same thing happened when i upped the boost. Blowout is caused by the excessive air not allowing a decent spark to form. So it would get up to about 3200 then drop down to 3000 sitting there surging at full boost.

What spark plugs are you using? If your using super 4s take them out and burn them now. Just throw in some regapped NGKs and that SHOULD fix it, or at least eliminate one possibility.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
bertis

alright thanks boostdef.... I will give that a shot now... its running bosch spark plugs of some sort... no idea if they are anygood or not.. and its running about 6-8 pounds..... havent been able to work it out yet.... old owner was able to run 11psi with no drama's so it definately should be doing this
EB series 2, Vixen red with blue perl, custom body kit, lowered, sweet custom interior :hihi:, ported head chambers, T3/t4 hybrid turbo, log manifold, intercooler, vortech 12:1 rising reg, Walbro 255, thermo fans, redback exhaust, 3.45 LSD,Stage 2 BTR95le built by DTM, pioneer 680MP, 2x pioneer 450w subs, response class D 820w amp
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 03-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
mic_77

Is your boost guage working correctly as it sounds like it is spiking and once it go's over 10 pounds the factory map sensor has a brain fart and does exactly what you are saying

cheers Mic
mic_77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

11psi on the stock ecu... Were they deaf or just liked the sound of pinging? lol

Mine had blowout on 5psi mate, so definately look into it. With those 4 prong bosch super 4s there was no chance as the spark is dispersed into 4 weaker sparks. Just an orthodox spark plug should fix things for you mate, if that is the case

Let us know how it ends up.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 03-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
bertis

the boost guage is connected to the map sensor line... and that line doesnt seem to be getting the correct boost pressure... I am very confused about that... the line going to the fuel reg seems to be reading more boost than the map sensor line... I changed the spark plugs with the old ones and its running way better... so bosch = no good for turbo.... dont think it missed at all..... only 1/2 throttle and its now going better than what it did at full before.... only my piping has come off everytime I get to decent rpm.... so fixing that atm but definately way better so thanks again boostdef.
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Sundeep
Banned

I was going to suggest plugs too. I had the same problem back in the day with my car. I got one range colder than standard plugs, gapped to 30 thou. Fixed the problem I had before and car goes way better.

Used to take off, hit exactly 3000 and then just stutter and splutter really bad. I think the heat range is 6.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

aahh the dredded cooler piping... Trust me dude, do it right the first time otherwise you will be forever p i ssed off..

use some hair spray on the joiners.

Glad to see yuor making progress mate.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 03-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use NGK R's ZGR6b's.

And weld beads on the piping to help the hoses stay on.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

Yes, weld beads on the piping where the hoses are, helps alot. Altho still come off sometimes. If its still a problem, try using some longer hoses and use 2 hose clamps... Fixed one of my mates problems running a 14psi
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And use hose clamps with bolts. As ugly as they are, if something needs to be super-tight, the worm screw and ladder ones arent worth their weight in s**t. in my opinion anyway (the ones with the stamped ladder are the better, if you arent doing anything really tight).
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
bertis

thanks guys. running soooooo much better. amazing power and not playing up at all now. except for a tiny backfire once...

I would never have thought it was my spark plugs. spent so much time stuffing around with the fuel system. will definately look into some better joiners and clamps for the piping. held up alright on that last run but probably shoot off tomorrow.

I love the attention this car gets. must make some serious noise when that wastegate opens.
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 03-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
bertis

thanks guys. running soooooo much better. amazing power and not playing up at all now. except for a tiny backfire once...

I would never have thought it was my spark plugs. spent so much time stuffing around with the fuel system. will definately look into some better joiners and clamps for the piping. held up alright on that last run but probably shoot off tomorrow.

I love the attention this car gets. must make some serious noise when that wastegate opens.
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 03-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #15
bertis

its posted it 3 times
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Old 03-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Rollin
Banned

lol, obviosly so happy he had to tell us 3 times :P

I did the welding beads around the ends trick to stop my piping coming off, but I also bolted the metal pipes to the car in such a way that it is impossible for the piping to blow off the cooler, and unlikely elsewhere.

And I used monsterous truck piping clamps that are about 25mm wide and require a 1/2" socket and a ratchet to do up...my piping ain't never coming off
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #17
DaNeoS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
11psi on the stock ecu... Were they deaf or just liked the sound of pinging? lol
when michael built this car, the thing hardly pinged, dont know how he manged it, but good to see some process coming back into this machine. everywehre u go you will get people staring
DaNeoS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #18
bertis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNeoS
when michael built this car, the thing hardly pinged, dont know how he manged it, but good to see some process coming back into this machine. everywehre u go you will get people staring
I think the grounded out chambers in the head is what sets it in front of other turbo setups without ecu's
also just a very good combination of parts. Does anyone actually have this kit exact?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EA-AU-FORD-FA...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a link to the exact setup.... in fact its actually advertising this cars motor..... only things extra it has are walbro fuel pump and the lower compression head and micheal managed 11psi giving it hell on stock timing and high k motor...

I havent driven this thing very hard yet as I only fixed it today :nutsycuck....I'm running 6psi atm which is probably where I will leave it till I get ecu and injectors. I'll get some new spark plugs tomorrow and drive it a bit more violently as these ones where in the head when it got milled and have done god knows how many k's... also gotta fix a leak in the back of the rocker cover... gets a lot more pressure turbo'd by the looks
13.10@105mph on 10-11psi

New Car

Last edited by 5spd_eb2; 03-10-2006 at 10:22 PM.