Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-04-2006, 02:13 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Default XR front bad for stone chips ?

Just wondering , is it me and where i drive or is the XR frontend really bad for stone chips , i have noticed since owning the car ( a few months ) that the front of the bonnet and front spoiler is covered in stone chips , the spoiler i can understand it happening bad but the bonnet ? , is it just because of the dip down so low at the front on the bonnet? , is it just my car getting bad stone chips quick or others too ? .. don't get me wrong , i still love the front end on the xr's but just curious ?

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Get a car bra...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I got stonechips on my bonnet but that is how the car came and will be getting fixed shortly.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

if it is only something that's noticeable since you took possession of the car, chances are the front was touched up before you got it and the paint was applied incorrectly

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

All the darker coloured AU's are prone to it due to the shape at the front, they cop it heavily on the bar and bonnet. If however you are getting heaps of massive stone chips it could be the case as said before that your front end has had a quick not so good re-spray before.

Mines at 124,000 on original paint at the front bonnet needs a re-spray as does the FG bar (after 25,000) Fibreglass front ends get it worse. The orginal OEM bar needed a re-spray at about 80,000kms.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

yeah mines got just under 150,000 on it now , ( 140,000 when i got it ) , so i recon it would be due for a respray soon anyway. Allthough it did look in good nic when i got it , imo too i recon it was just resprayed lightlly again before i bought it or it was toutched up badly or was given a good wash and toutched up with the 'lipstick stonechip fill & color wax'.
Also as good as those car bra's can be in someways , i don't really like the look of them , besides that they hold water under them and i have seen cars that have had them on for a while , then when you remove them the rest of the car has faided unevenlly compared to the front ( the front looks darker where the bra was , no paint faid) - can't win either way ..lol
looks like a respray soon i guess , the paint on these cars seems really thin from factory too imo , i wouldn't mind giving it a full respray .

Old 14-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

bet your balls they are
both mine are rooted
the ute was repsrayed, lokked awesome, and within a month it was pretty much was as bad as it was before the spray
Old 14-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's not just the XR fronts that are bad ..... any car will cop stone chips ..... and it depends where you drive and the amount of driving you do.

My last 2 cars had awful stonechips ... but that was due to the fact I did a lot of country driving in them. No car will escape stone chips.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
besides that they hold water under them and i have seen cars that have had them on for a while , then when you remove them the rest of the car has faided unevenlly compared to the front ( the front looks darker where the bra was , no paint faid) - can't win either way ..lol
should never leave a car bra on for that long!! thats the fault of the owner not the bra...

the whole purpose of them is to be used when the car's going on a long trip / highway use / country use where its more probable the car will cop stone damage... after your journey, remove it.....untill next time.

ive got one for my NC, and have used it a few times already.... will be using it a lot more when the car's been resprayed however
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
should never leave a car bra on for that long!! thats the fault of the owner not the bra...

the whole purpose of them is to be used when the car's going on a long trip / highway use / country use where its more probable the car will cop stone damage... after your journey, remove it.....untill next time.

ive got one for my NC, and have used it a few times already.... will be using it a lot more when the car's been resprayed however
Yeah thats a fair enough and good point made ! ;) , i suppose it would be worth investing in 1 for long trips after a respray . cheers

ps ..oh well , nice to know anyway too that i won't be the only one with a few stone chips on my car at the bbq day ..lol

Old 14-04-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah all blokes should know that the bra just has to come off as soon as you can .
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Mate you can never avoid this entirely but I keep back from semis or use either lane away from them or zap past them, don't be up ppls clacker and yes I have a bra for my manboobs which protects the front great for my country trips.
The other thing I do is touch them up pretty quick so my kids won't join the dots with the texta for fun !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #13
antilooped

im at 96000 ive got silhouette so its spose to be the worse, but i guess im pretty lucky that ive got only a few, but nothing noticeable without bending down and having a look. Ive got hell with those winglets underneath the bumper tho they are scratched like hell.