Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
laybourne

Default Spoiler LED High Level Brake lights failure

The AU spoiler High level Brake light was a TAIWANESE (!!) unit on a Taiwanese spoiler. The LED unit failed and they can't be replaced. I pulled the spoiler off and had to drill out the rusty securing screws to extract LED light unit. Once out, I found all the lights had failed due to water getting in. (had to carefully break out sealed back) I de-soldered all the LEDS and replaced with JAYCAR ELECTRONICS high intensity RED leds, and 68 Ohm resisters. The diode had failed also, but that's just a polarity protection diode. I used an IN4001 (garden variety).
When finished, I tested the unit on a GEL CELL 12 volt battery, and carefully taped the light with black masking tape. Then I filled the back with silicone gel and smoothed it out with a blade. Works perfectly! Not sure if anyones had the same problem in Australia, but interested to find out.
PS: Dont put too much heat on circuit board tracks as they can lift, do this job sober, and without distractions!! :
Dont get hacked off and spend 200$ on a spoiler, just to get the light working. It cost me $28 and an hours time.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hiya mate, the spoiler light on my XR is a Hella and is made in New Zealand.. i can vouch that it came that way from factory. all the LEDS still light up no problems with it yet. maybe yours is an aftermarket jobbie??
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
laybourne

....yeah I think so. Bleedin Heck, the last thing I want to see on an Auzzie Ford is " Made in Taiwan". They can make it there, but I don't want to know!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post