Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Removing all the torque is not a suitable engineering solution to torque steer...

Gidday,
Some thoughts today from an Aussie perspective on the US auto industry. I never thought that I would say that I enjoy driving a Kia Sorrento more than a Ford but it has happened. I did about 1000 miles in the Ford Taurus last week and I am amazed that Ford actually sell any of these things. Imagine the uproar if they tried to market a vehicle with the performance of a 4 cylinder Commodore, an interior circa 1980 and drum brakes in Australia!
It is truly an awful vehicle, no ABS either and front wheel drive 3.0 litre V6 as well.
I guess you can't expect miracles from petrol with an octane rating of 86 but it seems to be perfectly acceptable to market a vehicle that has such poor performance that if you floor it at 80 km/h the noise just gets louder and nothing happens. The last time I drove vehicles that performed as badly as this it was after the introduction of unleaded on aus and I was driving an alloy head 3.3 XE van.
This week in the Hertz lottery I scored a Kia Sorrento which apart from needing a decent set of shocks is a surprisingly competent vehicle. The other bloke I am over here with got a V8 Lincoln, leather everything and a V8 but still pretty low on poke, I reckon a BF six would give it a fair run for it's money. Besides, seats that are cooled can't possibly be good for you, its a strange feeling to have the seat get cold while you sit on them.
I've long held a fantasy of winning lotto and bringing my old ute over here to tour around in, I think a better fantasy is to bring over a typhoon and show them what performance really is. The only problem is that bloody 86 octane fuel....
Links for the interested:http://www.lincoln.com/lincolnls/pho...y_exterior.asp
It seems that they have finally killed off the taurus as it's not on the web site so here's a link to a pic of the one I had. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...6/IMG_0377.jpg
regards,
Tote