Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Default AUII "Fairute" "Post-build" thread...

Thought I'd start a "Post-build" thread for the Fairute...Why "post-build"? Because Matt (aka "MrEL) effectively built the car to the standard it is (and in which I acquired it).

The "Post-build" bit is the (minimal) stuff I've done since acquisition...

So, to recap, the following is Matt's work:

Start with a 2000 model year XLS Falcon Ute, with Factory-fitted 5LT/T5 combo. Also had standard A/C, power windows, low-series dash, cloth interior, Cruise Control, ABS, Driver's airbag, and 3.45LSD.

To that, Matt added/changed the following:

AU Fairlane front-end and guards. Lights have HIDs installed.
AU Fairlane Dash, Climate Control, Trip computer etc. XR8 instruments. XR8 leather seats. AU Fairlane Door cards and chrome handles. LED footwell light. Sony Explod head unit, running (via two amps) into tweeters, 6" and 6x9 speakers (factory locations), and a rather large Xplod Sub "squeezed behind the passenger's seat. Definitely "over stereo-d", but in a good way.

Mechanically, the car runs a stock (175KW) injected Windsor, with MSD ignition coils. A Larger intake has been fitted to the stock airbox (which contains the obligatory K&N filter). Exhaust is via latter-gen 220KW headers, "flanged" to 2.5" collectors/cats, and a full, dual 2.5" system. Drive is via standard T5 manual, and through a 3.9 ratio LSD. Brakes are BA/F XR6 front (drilled and slotted), and standard, solid rears.

It also had lowered suspension (Kings SL springs front/reset factory leaves with "helper" springs in the rear), and had 18x8 (front) and 18x9 (rear) Starcorp Fusion rims on it.

Gearbox originally had a short shifter fitted, and a street/strip clutch.

(Matt, feel free to chime in if I've missed anything...)

From that point, we've:

Replaced the Starcorp fusions with a set of rims which are 18x8 at all 4 corners. (Couldn't get the car road-worthied with staggered rim widths).

Also had to replace the lowered suspension with Std. height stuff, as lowered suspension is also illegal here...Shame, as the ute looked fantastic on the Starcorp and suspension combo it came with...

The street/strip clutch was quite heavy in it's action, which as someone who's driven Roadranger gearbox-equipped vehicles over the years, didn't worry me one iota. It did worry the Mrs, though, as did the "notchy" shift action associated with the short shifter, so both were replaced; the clutch with a "high clamping force/low pedal effort" number, and the shifter with standard V8 Falcon. As a result, the car drives with no more effort than most modern 4-cyl FWD vehicles.

Taking Matt's "Fairlane" theme a step or two further, I removed the XR8 seats, replacing them with those from a standard period Fairlane Ghia. In black, they are 6-way power adjustable (Driver's) and manually adjustable (passenger's). Both are in excellent condition, with no rips/tears or missing threads etc. Very few signs of wear either. Have since covered those with sheepskin seat covers in charcoal, in order to ensure that they stay in good nick.

Have also retro-fitted a passenger's side airbag to the vehicle, and replaced both driver and passenger-side visors with those from a Fairlane, so that the airbag warnings are there for both driver and passenger. (Also retro-fitted the passenger's side warning sticker at side of Glovebox compartment. (OK, I'm being a bit **** there...)

Also acquired and fitted the front "Ghia" footmats from a Fairlane, and the "Ghia" bolt hole covers for the door cards.

Next on the agenda are:
1) Speedo corrector (to ensure correct speeds are displayed, given the 3.9 ratio diff).
2) Fuel sender unit replaced (as fuel gauge, and hence trip computer DTE) are all over the place.
3) C/C unit is missing an LCD or two, so that will be pulled and sent off for repair.

So, there you have it.

The "Fairlane that thinks it's a Ute". Or the "Ute that thinks it's a Fairlane".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3502.jpg (148.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3503.jpg (150.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3504.jpg (150.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3505.jpg (152.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3506.jpg (157.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3516.jpg (157.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3517.jpg (150.2 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by biased99; 06-07-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Poor typing skills, and added photos...
biased99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post