Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
marcusturbo

Angry Rear Brakes

I am changing the pads all round and got the front down without any hassles.

I got to the rear and then spent all afternoon messing around trying to get the caliper off then screw the piston back in.

First main trouble was that I could not get the pads to go back in so that I could get the caliper off. I tried everything to get some movement and nothing was working. Small levers, big levers, pushing the pad and opening the bleed screw and a few other things but nothing was working. Eventually I just pushed on the outside pad and forced them over the small lip at the edge of the disc.

I then got stuck trying to get the piston to wind back in. I got it moving quite easily but then the piston was just turning and not moving back in. I was just using a small set of pliers but the trouble was that it wasn't moving back in. Eventually I screwed the piston out and then back in and it just did what it was suppose to do ages ago. Not having done this type of piston/caliper before, is the piston on an actual screw thread or what.

In the end I have managed to get it all back together and have the joy of the other side tomorrow. Think I need to have a look at the handbrake cable as the handbrake doing very little now.

Just for info; 60000kms

Front pads were down to just less than 50% used, discs on were good shape with little wear.

Rear pads were virtually gone only a few mm's left, discs measure in at 10mm thick so 50% left.

I have bought EBC pads all round, just their normal Ultimax ones.