Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Why do people buy Holdens?

Ok, firstly, lets try and keep this under control, its not a holden bashing thread.

Why do people buy Holdens? If you look at every article in the Press, Ford are better in every attribute other than outright pace. Sporty Holdens might stay flat through corners, but for everyday driving they are to harsh and jutter all over the place.

So, its outright performance the reason commodores still outsell falcons? Is it a culture thing?

One reason that I have is, for example, at high school there were only a handful of Fords guys (for what ever reason), everyone wanted a commodore. And as we were getting our first cars, it was either a VL or a VN. At the time we were getting smashed in the V8 Supercars and things were going bad in general with AU, which was hard because the e-series was very popular, and actually out sold commodore if I am not mistaken.

So, these young guys drive commodores, and when everntually its time to buy a new car what do they buy? A new commodore of course.

Has anyone else got there theories?

If you look at it objectively Ford are better at everything:

NVH - Ford
Dynamics - Ford
Interior Style/Comfort/usage - Ford
Performance - Holden (but other than LS2 we are not really that far behind)

It just doesn't make any sense. Ford have picked up there marketing within the last 12 months or so. They have some great ideas but IMO just do not use them enough.

Like I said, lets try and keep this one on topic as it will be interesting to see what people think, Holden guys included, why did you buy your commodore/monaro?

EDIT: I delibrately kept styling out of it because thats personal not objective. And AU guys please dont get snakey at any referance to the AU being a sales nightmare.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane