Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 
Default My workplace injury (warning graphic photos)

Hey guys just thought share my experience of a work place injury

First off a big thankyou to my boss, all the staff at concord burns unit in sydney who were awesome and so happy for such a downer of a place, workcover for being easy to deal with and my family for the support

Was at work doing a distributer replacement on an early model falcon. im pretty small in size to the point where i can easyly reach the distributer. Anyway did the job and the customer picked it up, came back later and reports that it wasnt as powerful as before "no prob mate i'll add a bit more timing".

Now the car was at operating temprature so i put on what we at work call a "hot sleeve" it like a like skin tight fingerless glove that covers your entire arm from the armpit to the palm of your hand. The sleeve allows you to rest your arm against hot (engine operating temp) objects without burning yourself

So i reach in to adjust the timing and as i do i put just the slightest of all pressure against the top radiator hose amd BAM! Theres an explosion of hot coolant that blasts my arm and burns me throught the material of the sleeve.*
Im swearing and cursing and run to the shower while undressing. Jump in for a few minutes and the boss drives me in his car (im soaking wet) to the hospital.

I got it bandaged, pumped full of morphine (which made the pain 100x worse) and spent the night there*
The next day i flew to sydney and attended an appointment at concord burns unit, they scrubbed the burnt skin off and applyied "biobrane"*

Flew back amd forwards for a few weeks for treatment and was healed completely with NO scars!!!
The nurses and doctors at concord burns unit are amazing, they kept me laughing the whole time with their jokes and antics.

The cause of the burn was an inproper repair to the radiator. The neck for the top hose had broken off with only 3mm left to clamp the hose on. The 3mm was enough for day to day driving but the added pressure of me touching it blew it off. It was so close to coming off that a simple prod off the finger would of set it off.

Would like to hear others experinces with work place injurys

The burn before treatment

The treatment with biobrane

Two weeks After treatment